Babylon 5

Soul Hunter

Aired Monday 7:00 PM Feb 02, 1994 on

7.8
  • Thought provoking

The guy is very creepy and comes across at first as some weirdo soul thief, but you start to at least understand the point of view of the Soul Hunters. Of course, this guy can't wait for death to come on its own...

It's a helpful insight into a little bit more about the Minbari, and didn't require too much familiarity with Delenn which makes it fit in well as a second (or technically third) episode.

However it didn't completely stand out, so like the previous ep, gets a 7.5 from me.
  • Soul Hunter

Soul Hunter was a very interesting episode of Babylon 5. I enjoyed watching this episode as we learned more about the characters of the show. I think this episode definitely show cases the shows ability to be unique, creative, and entertaining. The special effects and make up crews should be proud of their final productions. This episode gives us more insight into the workings of Babylon 5 and makes viewers connect more with the characters. This episode had action, drama, intrigue, and character development. I look forward to watching the next episode of Babylon 5! This episode is only a taste of whats to come!!!!!
  • A point of view

This episode is one of those what on the first glance may not have all the values wanted or just may be little less worth than previous episode. And in some way it is and when I first looked it, I did not liked it. But with every next turn, I start to like it more and more. This is the philosophical episode, the question who is right - can soulhunters take their souls (not the way the main soulhunter was doing as that was said he is wrong but they way the used - drawn to the death and take those who are dying) or is others right to say - no. And the way this question is treated trough the episode.. this adds the beauty.

More char introducing, more mystery building.
  • An errant Soul Hunter reveals more about Minbari ambassador Delenn than she really wants anyone to hear...

First time through, I consigned this episode to the 'Monster of the Week category'. It is only now, watching the whole series through, that one can see just how pivotal this story is in the overall context of Babylon5

Briefly, a 'Soul Hunter' lands on Babylon5. This causes consternation to the alien races, no more so than the Minbari ambassador Delenn who grabs a nearby sidearm and tries to put the creature out its misery. Soul Hunters harvest the souls of dead aliens, which is sacrilege to Minbari. In any case, the Soul Hunter has turned rogue and isn't waiting for the subjects to even have the decency to die first!

We are left wondering whether the Soul Hunters are 'bad guys' - the humans regard them as deluded cranks, since they aren't even sure of the existence of souls. The second Soul Hunter seems like a pretty regular guy - a kind of space age monk ,who is simply going about his business and meaning no harm to anyone. Indeed, he is only there to apprehend the rogue Soul Hunter, presumably because he has overstepped the moral code of the Order. This episode has character development for Delenn - the Soul Hunter recognises her as a Grey Council member (and spills the beans to Sinclair to boot). This, of course, is a major plot point down the line. The SH also hints that he knows more about Sinclair, perhaps even more than Sinclair himself realises at this point.

And we also get to meet the chief medic, Stephen Franklin, who arrives at the beginning of the episode and is immediately thrown into the middle of the Soul Hunter problem.

Much more than 'Monster of the Week'
  • the arrival of the soul hunter

i love every episode of babylon 5 but i have to say this episode is ok but is not my favourite one. i found it a little slow it is not the best one in this series. it mainly focuses around delenn. in this episode of babylon 5 the soul hunter an unidentified space craft is intercepted and its injured pilot brought aboard babylon 5. ambassador delenn is horrified when she recognises the pilot as the soul hunter, a feared enemy of the minbari race but does ambassador delenn harbor a dark secert of her own, is that why the soul hunter has come to babylon 5.
  • Brings up a couple of important points for later on but not a lot really happens.

6.9
    Soul Hunter introduces us to a race who where never used again in the series (apart from one of the movies). This episode also introduces us to Stephen Franklin the new doctor on the station.

The main character this episode focuses on is Delenn and although we don’t find out very much it does tell us she is important to the Minbari and is on the station as more than just an ambassador. The episode also tells us that the Minbari believe in souls and this does play a major part near the end of season 3.

This episode is not really the best in the series as it’s a bit slow, but it does open up a few questions that will be answered later on and also gives us a bit more insight into Delenn’s character.