Babylon 5

The Face of the Enemy

Aired Monday 7:00 PM Jun 12, 1997 on

• Mind, blown

With apologies to Garibaldi for the obvious mind blowing joke, heh

Wow, just... wow. I guessed correctly about Garibaldi being mind controlled (but obviously not about Bester being William Edgars, how wrong could I have been haha), but everything else and the reasoning behind it just blew me away. And you know, despite my suspicions I still felt the same kind of anger at Garibaldi as Ivanova is displaying, . when Sheridan was drugged I was practically yelling "JUST KILL THE F***ER" at the screen, willing him to go and punch Garibaldi until he was no longer moving. Well played. Very well played. To have a strong inkling and yet to still be dragged into it hook line and sinker.... I'm really impressed.

I want to give the poor guy a hug. Aw man.

10/10 is the most I can give, but this is off the scale.
  • Sucks to be Garibaldi

Damn, it sucks to be Garibaldi. I was so pissed at him for drugging Sheridan and getting him captured. It's some damn fine storytelling that even though I knew something was wrong with him, that he wasn't himself, and that the Psi Corps had done something to him, I was still right there wanting him punished. I suppose it was just the new personality Bester stuck him in that I was angry at. I wonder if he's going to get a chance to explain. But man, do I want evil things to happen to Bester. Although I am always amused that Bester refers to telepaths as "his". He'll refer to the Corps, or single telepaths, but when it comes to what other people want for the whole group, he always says "my telepaths". In other bits, I was a bit worried when Sheridan's old ship showed up. I was thinking it was a bit too convenient but I'm glad it turned out ok. And it was kind of intersting to hear Lyta say the same thing Garibaldi did in the previous episode, about how there's a war between telepaths and normals coming, and they hope they're not alive to see it. Am I smelling hints of season 5? And I was right about the telepath-only disease (I am so smart, S-M-R-T), although now that Psi Corps has their hands on it, what now?
  • The Face of the Enemy

The Face of the Enemy was a perfect episode of Babylon 5 as it was filled with lots of intrigue, action, drama, and character development. I wasn't sure how far Garibaldi was going to go until this episode where he goes the distance. I thought it was interesting that Sheridan still had faith in him after what happened. I also thought it was cool that more Earth ships are joining Sheridan's forces, after learning the truth about Clark and his propaganda. This episode touches upon important issues for all types of viewers. The media can spin things, the government can be very corrupt, and the masses can be very blind. I look forward to the next episode!!!!!!!
  • what bester really did to garibaldi

earth and alliance fleets engage in spectacular space combat as sherdian's military forces gain strength in their fight to take back earth.however sherdians former ally, garibalds who is now on mars, plots to overthrow the goverment in a much different way.conspiring with edgars, a powerfull medical research magnate, he lures sherdian to mars by kidnapping sherdians father.while sherdian's fate hands in the balance,garibaldi learns an appaling truth from sherdians long time nemesis, psi-corps cop bester.as the horror unfolds and garibalds mermories return,he must live with the knowledge that he betrayed his best friend and caused despair throughtout the universe. the face of the enemy.
  • In this episode we have everything that one can wish for from a tv show.

The episode starts with another fight of the liberation fleet vs. the Clark-loyal forces and ends with a destroyed Garibaldi who has no place to turn to. In this episode we have everything that one can wish from a sci-fi show: Impressive space battles, plot twists, the conclusion of a nearly season-long story arc, an antagonist who actually wins for a change, character development and some good cliffhangers. There are so many parts of this episode I love: Edgars plotting for years to destroy or enslave the telepaths is stopped only days before its execution - by the telepath-hating Garibaldi. The Garibaldi storyline starting in Season 3s finale is finally revealed as a plot by our favourite villain Bester leaving Garibaldi friendless and with the knowledge that he himself betrayed everything he values. The scene were Sheridan is taken down must have influenced a lot of shows that followed Babylon 5. The strobo-light slo-mo fight scenes intercut with photographs give this scene a very special feeling of Sheridan's desperate fight.
    I'd like to give this episode a 10, but, you know, there are even better ones to come.