Babylon 5

Episode 5

The Lost Tales : Voices in the Dark

Aired Monday 7:00 PM Jul 31, 2007 on

• There are two parts to this story. The short answer is that I really disliked the first part and enjoyed the second part.

Babylon 5: The Lost Tales is an anthology show set in the Babylon 5 universe. Each story is worked around a single established character. The beginning of the show had a quote from G'Kar that made me want to cry. Both G'Kar and Dr. Franklin was mentioned but described as being "beyond the rim". *sniff*

"Over Here": TOO PREACHY. TOO RELIGIOUS. The idea of the story was clever but the dialog went on for too long. I felt like I'd been backed in to attending a church service disguised as a Babylon 5 episode. The Seraphim as aliens is a interesting idea because it suggests "that "God" is an alien. I just think that the story too took long to say that. After awhile, I was dying for someone to punch a ship. I expected more action and movement in a B5 show. I know the budget was slim but something was missing. The acting was great. Lochley isn't my favorite character but it was good to see her again. Alan Scarfe as Father Kelly is a treat. Even the guy as the Seraphim was good. It just didn't come together for me. The station and special effects were good enough. Everything was green screen and stills heavy but it looked great. Even with all the praise... it's just... I was bored. I feel really guilty about not liking it but I have to tell the truth. :(

"Over There": WHAT I EXPECTED. If you are expecting gun battles, combat or even a fist fight... just stop it now. I don't have to have action to feel like a woman. Sometimes, dialog is just enough. Seeing Sheridan again got the blood pumping. He was funny, he was comfortable. It felt right. We got to see Galen, everyones favorite Technomage from B5: Crusades. Teryl Rothery from SG1 was a reporter and a treat. In this one Galen wanted Sheridan to kill an up and coming, young Centauri that was third in line for the crown. This had the suspension that I was looking. Because of this story, I went away not being TOTALLY disappointed in the project.

I think I had expectations of action. I didn't read much about the return of B5 because I didn't want to be spoiled. I supposed this is why I wasn't prepared for the direction of this project. I will watch what ever JMS puts out next I just hope that there's more of a blend of heady topics and action.