Bachelor Father Forums

ABC (ended 1962)

Bachelor Father

tvking1

[1]Aug 3, 2007
    • level: 42

It's been a few years since I've seen Bachelor Father. In 1999 TV Land showed one episode, the one with Jack Benny as guest star, but to my knowledge it's never been part of TV Land's regular lineup. I urge anybody reading this to contact TV Land and urge them to bring it back.

I can't believe I'm the one to start a forum for this great show.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

50swerebetter

[2]Aug 5, 2007
    • level: 1
    I agree, Bachelor Father was an awesome show and it should be on reruns. It is much better than most of the other reruns that are shown round the clock. I LOVED the theme song too.

tvking1

[3]Aug 5, 2007

The Bachelor Father site on TV.com had been one of the most ignored for a while, with only one review and no forum posts (until mine a few days ago), so it's a rather eerie coincidence that we both posted reviews at exactly the same time. It's good to see someone else visit this site. I hope more will follow.

Didn't the show have different theme tunes? One episode, I think it was Bentley Goes To Europe from 1961, had a different theme from the one which guest starred Jack Benny.

crazyrhythm

[4]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 52
    You're right, king, there were two theme songs. I think you can get both versions from sitcomsonline.com. Bachelor Father is the only prime time show I can think of that appeared on all three networks during its original run. There may be more, but I haven't found them yet.
    Edited on 09/30/2007 6:38am

tvking1

[5]Oct 1, 2007
    There were others, but besides Bachelor Father, the only other sitcoms that aired on all three major networks (CBS, NBC, ABC) were Father Knows Best and Ethel And Albert. The Complete Directory To Prime Time Network TV Shows has an appendix which gives a list of shows that aired on more than one network, broken down between those that aired on four (including the long-defunct Dumont Network), three, and two. I have an old edition, from 1991, but I assume newer editions would include the appendix.

crazyrhythm

[6]Oct 2, 2007
    I think Topper would qualify.

tvking1

[7]Oct 2, 2007
    I guess you could include Topper (I know italics aren't necessary for forum posts, but I like using them) as one of the rare prime time sitcoms that aired on all three networks, but only in a technical sense. It aired first-run only on CBS. The other two networks aired only reruns after it was cancelled by CBS.

crazyrhythm

[8]Oct 3, 2007
    Then Father Knows Best is out, too. ABC aired only reruns of the show. Oh, well.

tvking1

[9]Oct 3, 2007
    Hmm, looks like you're right about that. I guess that leaves only two. That list in the book's appendix should have included an asterisk by those shows that aired only in reruns on all three networks..

utahpaul

[10]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 1

Hello all, my first post to this site. I only started watching Bachelor Father during last summer on our RTN network here in southern Utah. My wife and I are seeing these great shows for the first time and have been able to see them in order from 1957-1960 so far but for some reason RTN stopped showing Bachelor Father now and I contacted their main network people and tried to get it back on as we still have 2 more seasons of episodes to see. I love the show so much that I sent a fan letter to John Forsythe and he sent back a autographed photo! I'll try to contact TV Land to see if they will put the show on. I have tried to buy Bachelor Father on dvd or video so we could see these last 2 years of the show but no one has them. I love leave it to beaver, I love Lucy and all the rest but we have seen them countless times over the years but Bachelor Father is a breath of fresh air as many of us have never seen the show before, even in reruns.

tvking1

[11]Feb 22, 2009
    utahpaul wrote:

I love the show so much that I sent a fan letter to John Forsythe and he sent back a autographed photo! .

That's great! It's good to know there are still Hollywood stars who actually appreciate their fans, the real starmakers.

Lynn210

[12]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 7

Bachelor Father is showing on channel 607 in florida right now

Call letters WFLADT2 or RTV

Very Hard to Find Show.. I will be taping them