Bachelor Father

ABC (ended 1962)

gwactuary

Bachelor Father Fan Reviews (4)

• Interesting Fact From a Nit-Picker

In the Cast & Crew for this series, Ian Carmichael is listed as being one of the regulars.

Actually, he was in a British series with the same title. It was broadcast on 1970-1971. It was similar, but his character was wealthy and he was caring for five children who were not related to him.

The show was loosely based on a true story.
  • Kelly was a recent orphan who was adopted by "Uncle Bentley," a successful, handsome attorney who was always trying to take up with a beautiful girl. Kelly had her normal teenage angst and dilemmas, and Uncle Bentley did his best guide her.

Kelly was the older teenager who I wanted to be like when I got older. It was shown on reruns at 3 p.m. weekdays when I was in grade school. I would RUN home to watch at least the last 15 minutes. Otherwise, I'd watch it anytime I could. I loved the opening theme song where Kelly, Uncle Bentley, and Peter are riding in the open convertible. If my mind serves me correctly, they changed the theme song in later years which was a mistake. To this day I remember that first theme song from start to finish. What a shame it's not on reruns. It was a "family values" show with a twist, and my favorite show of its time. I was sad when it went off the air.
  • A warm family comedy, in spite of its tragic beginnings.

Bachelor Father is strikingly similar to Family Affair, except in this show characters corresponding to Buffy and Jody are missing, leaving only a Cissy, named Kelly, cutely and charmingly played by Noreen Corcoran. Like the children from Family Affair, her parents were killed in an accident, thus leaving her in the care of a paternal uncle, a bachelor, with a manservant to help out. He was always on the lookout for a potential bride, and "mother" to his niece. Unlike Family Affair, Bachelor Father was more happy-go-lucky, with little time for psychoanalizing about the trauma of losing her parents. It was more light-hearted. Perhaps that was because she was older than the twins of Family Affair, who suffered more trauma than Cissy. Also, Uncle Bentley, played by a pre-Charley/Blake Carrington John Forsythe, did not seem to express any reservations about taking care of her, and Peter, the servant (Sammee Tong), was more outgoing than Mr. French.

It had the unusual, if not unique, distinction of having aired on each of the three existing networks. I would like to see it aired on TV Land, or any channel, just so long as it's available for viewing, and on DVD.
  • I had a good laugh out of watching Bachelor Father. In fact, not that the show was particularly humorous but there was something special, something unique that brought a smile to my face when I watched this.

I had a good laugh out of watching Bachelor Father. In fact, not that the show was particularly humorous but there was something special, something unique that brought a smile to my face when I watched this. Definitely one of the highlights of my television experience this month.I love love this very much.