Back to You Forums

FOX (ended 2008)

The Retool (cast changes, new direction, etc.)

Did you think the retool was good?

tellyaddict

[1]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 8

What do you think of the changes which were name in the latest episode?

I'm very mixed on the matter.

Things I like:

-Out of the newsroom, but do not completely go away from it

-Ryan is less annoying

Things I don't like:

-They got rid of Laura Marano? REALLY!? She was a brilliant actress, perfect for the role. Her chemistry with ALL the cast was great, certainly Chuck.

-Montana's gone? I actually liked her, she was funny.

Edited on 04/27/2008 3:23pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

angrodpallanen

[2]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 22
    I know, this is ridiculous, why did they shake up the show??? Is it really because they needed to cut in the budget b/c the writers strike?

RavenFreak120

[3]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 21
    YES, I think that's it!

OrsonWright

[4]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 19

Plus the ratings weren't that great. They've probably been eliciting viewer feedback

Did they mention Montana at all in the last episode? Did they explain the character's departure? I missed part of the show.

RavenFreak120

[5]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 21
    No, I am hopefully thinking that she's only not in a few episodes. Because, remember, when Laura Marano wasn't in an episode, they pulled her name for the credits. I thought this idea before, and said, maybe it's true, perhaps she'll be back next week, but according to FOX.com, she's not. However, I truly HOPE she will be back. If that's the case, then it's just Lily Jackson I'm annoyed about. I'll grow into it though. Keep watching.. and keep great expectations! This show delivers in numbers!

teamfarce

[6]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 2

Regarding Montana, there's good news and bad news.

The good news is that she will be back on April 30, when the network finally runs "Date Night."

The bad news is that the new WURG station manager will fire her the following week in "The New Boss."

(Montana was fired partly because she can't pronounce Monongahela. Rumors abound as to why Ayda Field was let go, but I haven't confirmed anything.)

Unfortunately, Fox decided to run the new episodes out of order. "Wall of Fame" (Marsh's party) was actually taped on April 1, and this week's episode "Hug and Tell" was taped a week later. "Date Night" was shot last October, and "The New Boss" was the first episode back after the strike, taped March 18.

Presumably, "House of Tomorrow" (March 26) will air May 14, but that's just a guess. And four more episodes are scheduled to be taped over the next month.

=Ace, WURG weather tech

genaldar

[7]Apr 23, 2008
    • level: 3

I thought the changes were bad enough that I've stopped watching the show. I didn't even make it all the way through the episode. Losing Montana wasn't a good choice (is it ever a good choice to lose a hot woman if you want to improve ratings?). And switching the actress who played Gracie was so jarring that I thought for a second I was watching an unaired pilot or something.

So long "Back to You" I won't ever be going back to you.

dixyland

[8]Apr 23, 2008
    • level: 7

I think that it's bad form to have changed the character of Gracie and replace her with an even younger kid. The original Gracie was a good little actress and worked well with Kelsey Grammar's Chuck.

I didn't even notice that Montana wasn't there until after the episode when I watched the credits again. I'm neither here nor there about that characters departure, but she certainly didn't hurt the show.

I'll probably keep watching until the new Gracie gets to cutesy and makes me sick.

D-LinkUK

[9]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 24

There's an old saying ' If it's not broke, then don't try to fix it ' and in the case of Back To You it's a prime example, I've chatted and read so many peoples views that they are unhappy with both the recast of Gracie and the sudden ' let go ' of Montanta and I completely agree.

Why change a good thing and risk of losing viewers.

dkong99

[10]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 13
    They got rid of the best two characters in the series! The 3 male co-stars are horrible stereo-types and do nothing for the show, definitely got rid of the wrong ones. Don't think this show will last.

pisceandreams

[11]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 40
    teamfarce wrote:

Regarding Montana, there's good news and bad news.

The good news is that she will be back on April 30, when the network finally runs "Date Night".

The bad news is that the new WURG station manager will fire her the following week in "The New Boss".

Thanks for this info. I'm glad to hear that "Date Night" will still be aired and that at least there will be closure to Montana's character.

As for the retool, I've only watched "The Wall of Fame" so I can't comment based on just that. I'll have a better as to how I feel about it after seeing a few more eps.

teamfarce

[12]Apr 26, 2008
    • level: 2

Unfortunately, Fox keeps changing the schedule, so it looks like "Date Night" might not air this season at all (maybe they'll put it on in September as a "lost episode"?).

April 30 looks now to be "Two Steps Forward, One Step Back," which was just taped this past Wednesday (with 1997 flashbacks preshot on Tuesday), followed by "The New Boss" on May 7 (where Montana gets fired, so at Ayda gets one last appearance). TV Guide's listings don't yet go this far, but I'm assuming then that May 14 will be "House of Tomorrow" (which includes Gary auditioning to be the new weatherman).

===

--Ace @ WURG News 9

pisceandreams

[13]Apr 27, 2008

Moved this from another thread:

RavenFreak120 wrote:
    Have you guys seen this? http://www.tv.com/tracking/viewer.html?sls_id=30526&ref_type=101&ref_id=69245&tag=updates;title;0

rimnet00

[14]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 4
    I bet they got a younger Gracie because the other one was too old, if they want this to be a longer running series, with Gracie not finding out who her father is.

iskabibble07

[15]May 2, 2008
    • level: 13

My responce to dumping the original Gracie and the Montana character is one many fans will follow. I flat out stopped watching the show. End of story.

Why should I bother staying with a show that dumps popular characters that are working and makes drastic changes to the formula before it even has any momentum. We have seen this before and about the time you really start liking characters and perfomrers, out they go and in comes someone completely knew that we are supposed to get used. to. No thank you. They might cancel it. I won't know. I have moved on.

VM1138

[16]May 2, 2008
    • level: 6
    When I heard about the retool I was disappointed but DAMN there is a difference. This show instantly got ten times funnier. I don't know how, because I like the other actress for Gracie and Montana was fine, but this show just clicks so much better now. The writing is crisper, not as forced, and the situations are fresh. This show has finally reached that level that elevates it to a really great show.

lovemj

[17]May 5, 2008
    • level: 14
    VM1138 wrote:
    When I heard about the retool I was disappointed but DAMN there is a difference. This show instantly got ten times funnier. I don't know how, because I like the other actress for Gracie and Montana was fine, but this show just clicks so much better now. The writing is crisper, not as forced, and the situations are fresh. This show has finally reached that level that elevates it to a really great show.

I couldn't disagree more. The episodes that were written post-strike seem to be less clever comedically than the pre-strike episodes. In fact, it almost feels like they rushed the episodes out - i.e. they went for the easier jokes.

As for the recast, dumping Montana doesn't upset me as much as others. Don't get me wrong, I think it's dumb since I really liked the Montana character, and thought the character had a lot of promise within the show. But Montana was a secondary supporting character. She wasn't the focus of the show. Which is where I get to the recasting of Gracie...what...the...HELL?!?

Are you kidding me? I've never heard of a show which recast major characters mid-season. Sure, you may find a show that shot a pilot with one actor/actress and then has to replace them when the pilot gets picked up. But this show was already picked up. And, yes, I understand that they might need a younger actress if the show is going to last a few years, but isn't that something they should have thought of BEFORE the cast Laura Marano as Gracie? I mean, one would think that, when they were casting the show, they were hoping for a show that would las a few years!

To make matters worse, I don't like the new Gracie. And I'll fully admit, my reason for not liking the new Gracie is based in large part on the comparison with the old Gracie.

In short, my opinion is that the casting shakeup was a major mistake and that the writing has declined significantly. I trust that the writing will pick back up when they aren't rushing to get episodes produced, but the casting changes are here to stay. I don't like the new Back To You...

shae83dtr

[18]May 7, 2008
    • level: 10
    i was floored when i watched an ep and suddenly Gracie was not Garcie, instead she was some cutesy little kid not the smart confident girl i had grown to love, i just don't think the show will be the same with out her, she had great on screen chemistry with her tv parents. it was a stupid move. cute kids grow annoying very quickly, its the smart ones that have staying power.

johnnysokko

[19]May 7, 2008
    • level: 1
    You guys act like like Laura Marano had been on the show for years and years and you built this long relationship with her. The girl worked about 2 months on the show, then 3 months later they show an episode which they had shot before the strike.

Laura was in 5 episodes (not including the pilot) and Lily Jackson shot 4 so far(imdb.com).

I mean, I don't care if they recast Andy Dick as Gracie at this point, this show was hit so hard from the writers strike, they deserve a do-over.

I am giving them one.

(Andy Dick would be very strange as Gracie, though)

pisceandreams

[20]May 7, 2008

johnnysokko wrote:
    You guys act like Laura Marano had been on the show for years and years and you built this long relationship with her.

I agree with you 100%. Everyone's proclamation that they were sooooo attached to Laura is a bit baffling considering she was in so few episodes. She did portray the character well, she did have good chemistry with Kelsey and Patricia, but when you get down to it, I think Lily Jackson is better for the role of "Gracie" because she's younger looking and acting, which worked well to the story's advantage in episodes like "Hug and Tell" and "Two Steps Forward, One Step Back". It would have been awkward to have Laura in the role with the same lines and storyline.

johnnysokko wrote:
    I don't care if they recast Andy Dick as Gracie at this point.... (Andy Dick would be very strange as Gracie, though)

Yes, that would be a little strange, then again, it's Andy Dick so I could see him doing it!

I've been happy with the retool thus far. Montana had her moments, but she was easily the weakest character on the show. She was also a hyper-stereotypical Latina, which was off-putting at times. I like Suzy Nakamura and am looking forward to seeing her portray the new boss in tonight's episode. Maybe she'll become a regular character?