Back to You

Pilot

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Sep 19, 2007 on FOX

• Absolutely brilliant start to what is hopefully going to be a fantastic series!

The writing was back to Frasier excellence - hysterically funny in parts; one liners subtlely slipped in like:

Chuck Darling: So we slept together ... this just in ...
    Kelly Carr: Your exact words that night!

I notice that there were other actors originally cast in the parts of the News Director and the Weather Girl - the only two for whom I have any criticism in that they were weak and predictable in their acting. However, it is probably because the others were so great and the two main characters complemented each other perfectly.

The best thing about the series is that it is refreshingly funny but predictably first class. I had initially thought that with Kelsey Grammar and Patricia Heaton having been in such well known and long running series it would be hard to think of them in something new - but I could not have been more wrong - they worked together wonderfully well.

I see that one whole series has been ordered - after this episode I hope the network starts ordering the second series!
  • I think this show has some promise, they just gotta get good storylines.

This show is about Chuck Darling(Kelsey Grammar) moving back to Pittsburguh to work on his previous station job as anchorman, the job he quit 10 years ago... After a bad acciedental on-air incident, Chuck gets fired from his job as anchorman in L.A., and starts working with his previous and now current co-anchor, Kelly Carr.(Patricia Heaton)Chuck soon discovers that over the 10 years he was gone, Kelly had a daughter named Gracie, got married, but then got divorced. It turns out that Kelly had Gracie just around the time Chuck left, and slept with her! Chuck finds out that he is Gracie's father, and her ex-husband isn't. I think they can do good if they come up with great plots, and keep it going a couple seasons. Who knows? Maybe the writers will decide that Chuck and Kelly should hook up:0)
  • Kelly's life is fine until her old co-worker comes back and returns to his old ways.

ok, so this ep was a little slow getting going but i actually liked it when he came back..the first part was just ok yay a new guy coming to work, well not really a new guy, an old colleague returning, but u get what im saying..anyways we dont know why some people are excited and one in particular isnt..its funny when they start working together again and he returns to his ways trying to take over and shes trying to prevent him from doing so..i like producer..hes very funny...they did a good job of getting interest especially tying in drama and comedy
  • Give it time.

I think a lot of people were expecting too much from this pilot episode of Back To You, two well known sitcom stars together Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton, the problem is most people remember them as Dr Frasier Crane and Debra Barone, even myself was half expecting Niles or Ray to pop up from somewhere but we have to move on and Back To You looks a good comedy.

Naturally the lead is Anchorman Chuck darling played by Kelsey who left Pittsburgh for bigger and better things but after nearly 10 years is back with his ex co-anchor Kelly Carr ( Patricia ) at his old desk at WURG, she is less than please to see him back unlike the sports anchor Marsh McGinley played by Fred Willard who welcomes back Chuck with open arms.

All in all it looks a good sitcom, just give it time.
  • Hey, it's not Frasier :) not that I minded Frasier, it was good sitcom. But Kelsey Grammar isn't Frasier, and that's good.

Ok, First episode, well, there is good chemistry between Kelsey and Heaton, so that's a start. The rest of the crew, actually isn't too bad either, I think this show can be a keeper. No, it's a sitcom, and yes, many will say "it's been done", they may compare it to Mary Tyler Moore, or something, but look, it's funny, it's 22 minutes (no ads :)) of silly entertainment.

So, I do look forward to this show. Once the rest of the crew get used to their roles, this show has potential for a few years :)

And that's the scoop! :)
  • Great start, interesting to see how this pans out.

Impressed with the first episode although Kelsey Grammar still holds a very strong Frasier "typecast" which I believe will take a long time to break away from. The Chuck character does not seem a million miles away from Frasier to be honest, which isn't entirely a bad thing. All in all I felt this was well written and has amazing potential.

I do wish that the producers would lose the dubbed laughing in the background, this lost a lot of credability and made the show cheesy. Hopefully this will be rectified.

I look forward to seeing how this pans out and will be tuning in next week. I will also be tuning into Til Death series 2, Prison Break series 3 and Family Guy. Thank god it's fall!
  • How can u not like it?

I first watched this with high expectations as Frasier and Everybody Loves Raymond stars would be in it and the creator of Just Shoot Me! would be one of the writers, and I have to say my expectations were filled.

This is a very clever pilot to a very clever series. Though I am not enjoying sitcoms lately this really delivered, with likeable characters, funny jokes, a well-thought-out plot and some reall nice formatting, I really love the show.

Despite the fact that it may only last one season, I think this will definately develop a strong fan base. Great Pilot .
  • Chuck Darling, Kelsey Grammer, returns to his anchor job after a 10 year absence and sparks fly between him and his co-anchor Kelly, Patricia Heaton.

This show wasn't very high on my must see list for the upcoming fall season but in the end I gave it a try and I am glad that I did. This show, even though very overacted and filled with flaws, was pretty steady and the storyline kept you interested till the ending scene. There was a few times where it was a bit slow of getting to the point but it was held together with the news of Kelly's 10 year old daughter in which Chuck was the dad, bit predictable but well played out. I have good feelings about future episodes of this show but I was wrong before, just like the freshly created yet canceled show "Anchorwoman", so who knows where this show is going to go. Even though I think this way the concept of this show, much like the jokes, could get a bit old or unfunny in time, as well as the over acting down by near all the actors/actresses. So in the end I give this show 8.1 out of 10 because even though it was a good episode parts of the storyline was a bit slow and predictable, the jokes were cheap one-liners, the overacting done by near all. This show was brought to you by the Number "9" and by the Letter "O".
  • Great

List of Episodes (8)Season:Episode Title Runtime Air Date User Rating Queue Season 1 8 Cradle to Grave 21:43 02/26/2008 7 Something's Up There 21:37 11/14/2007 6 Gracie's Bully 21:43 11/07/2007 5 A Night of Possibilities 21:31 10/17/2007 4 A Gentleman Always Leads 20:55 10/10/2007 3 The First Supper 21:44 10/03/2007 2 Fish Story 21:56 09/26/2007 1 Pilot 22:53 09/19/2007 List of Clips (12)Season:Episode Title Type Runtime Air Date User Rating Queue 1 : 10 Airzookas! Current Preview 00:50 - 1 : 10 This Is Weird Current Preview 00:47 - - Perfect Anchorwoman Hair Interview 01:28 - - I Have a Weird Polish Name Interview 01:41 - - Anchors are Getting Younger All the Time Interview 01:01 - - Chuck Versus Frasier Interview 01:05 - - Interview - Patricia and Kelsey Big W... Interview 00:47 - - Fred Willard's Take on Marsh McGinley Interview 01:10 - - Interview - Patricia Heaton Interview 01:24 - - Interview - Kelsey and Patricia on Ego Interview 00:23 - - Fred Willard Interview Interview 00:29 - - Interview - Kelsey Grammer Interview 00:47 - For insider news, photos, and more visit the official Back To You website
  • This Just In....It's Not That Bad!

7.9
    Sitcoms, especially traditional sitcoms in front of a live audience, have become almost extinct nowadays. They've had interesting rides thru the years of television. They were the hot thing on the tube, then they weren't, then they were again and so on. They seem to be a dying breed. Oh sure, there are still some that litter the landscape of television, but mostly nobody watches them or cares all that much. Most of them are truly awful as well. Comedies nowadays are audience-less, and shot like movies(The Office, My Name Is Earl, etc.) and they are brilliant. It seems to be getting harder and harder to make a really good, quality sitcom today that is funny. One that you have to see every week. The end of "Everybody Loves Raymond" was, to me, the final nail in the coffin for that. And so now comes along "Back To You". Sadly, it doesn't exactly get the old classic sitcom back. But there is good news. I see a lot of potential here. I didn't think Back To You delivered as well as it could have in it's debut episode, but I saw a lot of room for improvement that I don't think is out of the question for the show to acheive. Not at all. With the people it has in front and behind the cameras, how could it not?. I don't normally write reviews for half hour shows, but I felt compelled to write one for this show for some reason. Anyways, let's dig in....

Kelsey Grammer plays Chuck Darling, and Patricia Heaton plays Kelly Carr. The two of them were co-anchors on a local news show for years. Chuck leaves the station and goes on to bigger and better things in a couple of other stations around the country. He has an incident on air and is abruptly fired. So, he returns to his old stomping grounds and co-workers, and Kelly is not all that happy. The two have a past and don't get along all that well. At first, it appears that Kelly may be a tad jealous that he waltzes back in after she had made the place hers and was the top dog for the last 10 years. As the episode progresses, we learn that there may be more to her attitude towards him than we originally thought.

So, the first half of the episode was setting everything up. The station, the characters, and the relationship between Chuck and Kelly. This was also the weakest part of the whole episode. It felt a little frenetic for it's own good. I am sure news rooms are busy and hectic, but it doesn't always make for good television. There was just a bit of too much rushing here and there. Thankfully, things slow down in the second half and get a lot better. What was also weak about this first part were the supporting characters that fill up the news room. All of them typical people we have seen again and again. We have the hot, sexy weather girl and her come hither stares and sexual innuendo. There's not much water left to drain from that well, I'm afraid. Then there is the news producer Ryan, who I think is the news producer. There was a lot going on. He was the young kid going this way and that way, sweating, and trying to keep everything going. Been there, seen that. There is also the "man about town" reporter, who desperatley wants to get off the streets and be an actual anchor on the news broadcast. Seen that a few times before too. Not surprisingly, the best part of this bunch is Fred Willard, as the sports guy. Willard is a god and a genius in my book. He can make anything work and funny. It's about time he got on a regular show as a regular cast member. Willard is great with improv, so hopefully they will let him run free here and there and do what he does best. Best In Show, anyone?. So that's that.

We now come to Heaton and Grammer. You are not going to find classier, more utmost professionals than these two. There is a reason they are multiple Emmy winners. They have good chemistry together, and work off of each other wonderfully. Some of their jabs at each other were truly funny, but it is evident that it can get old pretty fast. Heaton's "preening gas bag" comment still gets me. Her role and performance doesn't seem to be too far off from her role on Raymond. That's a good thing because she was a master at it on that show, and she is bringing that to this one. Grammer is great too. There isn't much of Frasier here at all. I think the two really get to get into the good stuff in the second half of the episode when Grammer learns that the two of them share a child. That storyline can grow to something interesting and involving, if the writers care enough about it.

In the end, Back To You doesn't re-invent the wheel in any way. I enjoyed it enough, and think there is room here to grow, find more of itself, and get better. The second half proves that they are halfway there. The news room and the supporting characters are what needs the most work. Fix some of these things up, and Back To You could really end up being something worth checking out every week.
  • A good start. Lots of potential.

Well, as pilots go, this one was not all that bad. It didn't quite reach my expectations, so I hope the quality goes up from here.

I think Patricia Heaton and Kelsey Grammer are going to make a fine duo. This isn't suprising considering their most recent TV projects. I will have to get used to watching Grammer portray someone other than Frasier Crane. Hopefully, as the series goes on, there will be enough difference between the two characters that it will become easier to believe that Grammer's performance is indeed Chuck Darling. The comedy wasn't great in this episode, but I can see a lot of potential. Some of the one-liners, particularly those delivered by the Crezyzewski character, were priceless! It appears that that will be his role - the goofy, good for a laugh character.

I was glad to see they revealed the 'secret' involving Kelly's daughter right away without letting it drag on too far. I now see that storyline will be the basis for the entire series.
  • Good start for what I hope will be a good series.

I found the pilot to be enjoyable. It was funny but not as funny as I had hoped it would be. The cast is excellent, I've not always been a huge Kelsey Grammer fan but liked him in this episode. I love Patricia Heaton and as always she didn't disappoint. The supporting cast is very interesting and the characters really seem to fit together. I really did laugh at the beginning when he tells off the girl on her cell phone but was still on air, it was great that he tried to hide it then Kelly told him they all had watched it on You Tube. I like the surprise that was thrown in about the night they had spent together before for he left Pittsburgh. I really never expected it but it should make for a very interesting season.
  • Good cast. Decent characters. Good setting. Interesting plot developments. There's just something missing.

7.3
    All right, I'm gonna start off by saying that I am a huge fan of Frasier as well as Cheers and Raymond is amusing at times. I tuned in, expecting something that was good... and really, I got what I expected. Kelsey Grammer is a great actor, but there is little to separate this character from Frasier Crane at this point. Patricia Heaton I was less impressed with, it seemed like when Kelly wasn't insulting Chuck, she was doing him a favor.

The supporting cast is decent, but it's hard to say where these characters could go. I see little room for Fred Willard's character, but he doesn't really need it. I have high hopes for the manager and the weather girl, but only if they do something to make both of them more than just tired stereotypes.

One thing that was great about the supporting cast in Frasier was that they all had places to go. They were flawed, but we could see them change. Roz sleeps around, but she she deeply cares about Frasier and Alice. Daphne is an odd-ball, but she's a hard-worker. Frasier is a blow-hard, Niles is meticulous, and Martin's stubborn, but when it comes right down to it, they all care very deeply about each other. Seeing a redemptive pattern to these characters is what is necessary.

But then, I doubt all of this was obvious when Frasier was first starting.

So right now, I see potential. There are a lot of good characters, the work-place setting works well, and I can see some interesting developments and plots in the future. Personally, I think it's worth giving it a shot.
  • Wanted it to be good. I really, really did.

Okay. Here's the deal. I find very little on the television screen that intrigues me enough to watch it regularly. I really, really want a good half hour situation comedy that speaks to my heart and my intellect. Heh...right. I hadn't planned to watch this. It was Ray Romano's diatribe at the Emmys that made me decide to tune it. It wasn't good but definitely has potential. I like the premise. Had a serious 'WKRP/NewsRadio/Mary Tyler Moore' flashback! I miss those shows. I really liked the poor, poor schmuck of a reporter (Ty Burrell)that was dying for a chance to be anchorman. They need to lose the ongoing difficulty pronouncing his name. Didn't really like Fred Willard. Didn't like the weather girl either. The station manager guy was...hmm...okay. But, I am glad to see Patricia Heaton and Kelsey Grammer together. I thought they had a nice comraderie. Chemistry? Nah....but maybe something that can be built to. LOVED the little girl (Laura Marano) playing Heaton's daughter. LOVED the added tweak to the show with her parentage. This should be an interesting set up. At least interesting enough for me to tune in again next week. After that? We'll see.
  • Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton return to series TV in a sitcom set in the news studio of a Pittsburgh television station. Spoilers!

Chuck Darling has climbed the ladder of success in the news business finally landing the anchor spot on the network affiliate in Los Angeles. However, accidentally an expletive filled rant goes out live and darling Chuck is forced to return to his roots, Pittsburgh, and the chair next to his old co-anchor.

Thus, with that setup this half hour FOX series on travels down predictable path. Chuck is pompous and Kelly Carr, portrayed by Patricia Heaton, is feisty. Ray Romano summarized this series at the Emmys and he wasn't far off. It is Frazier and Kelly is Debra Barone (Heaton's role in Everybody Loves Raymond) in a new situation. Not a stretch for either actor. The supporting cast is weak and with the exception of sports reporter, Marsh McGinley (Fred Willard), not funny. Particularly odious are the station manager and the weather girl.

This series has a 13 episode buy and with FOX's reputation it may not come back after the World Series.
  • An okay opener for Grammer and Heaton's new comedy vehicle

6.9
    Having watched this after finding out the show's future was in jeopardy, I sort of see why.

Obviously it's hard for a new show to establish characters and be extremely funny, but this was leanign more towards the former.

The jokes weren't to the best and to have seen Kelsey and Patricia in very funny series before ("Frasier" and "Everybody Loves Raymond", respectively) I found this sometimes hard to watch. It was like watching an average crossover episode.

Also, with Chuck and Kelly having slept together, it was an easy guess to say that Kelly's daughter was Chuck's. I guess every show needs some sort of story arc, even if it is as weak as this.

I probably will watch the next one, just to see if there's any improvement!
  • An interesting show...I think it'll be a new favorite.

5.9
    "Back to You" got off to a somewhat rocky start - the pilot is well-produced for a multi-camera sitcom and has a great concept and interesting characters, but like a lot of comedy pilots, it was just a little weak and a lot of the humor fell flat. The pilot basically introduces Chuck Darling's return to Pittsburgh after getting fired when he went off on a rant on air during a L.A. newscast. This is an issue for Kelly, his former co-worker, who he slept with ten years ago right before he left. Could her daughter be his...?

The fact that the pilot was less than perfect doesn't bother me. Last season "The Class" had a fairly dull pilot but improved drastically, "The Office" had a so-so pilot, etc. This is a show I'm definitely going to stick with. And fortunately, the show got over 9 million viewers which on FOX means it could stick around for quite a while.
  • Flat and a little trite, I wouldn't call it a disaster yet because the actors have such obvious potential.

5.1
    A news anchor is forced to return to his "b-market" roots in Pittsburgh after striking out in LA.

This installment played out very much like a group of gags squashed together to form a story. There are a few laughs but almost all the best lines were ran in the promo commercials. Grammer and Heaton have potential for chemistry, its a little up in the air right now as the main storyline of them sharing a daughter came rather late in the episode. I had high hopes for the "weather girl", maybe she would be a woman with an overly-developed ego, but the comedy takes the cheap way out and implies that she sleeps around and mostly spars with another reporter in a "Just Shoot Me" kind of way. Fred Willard is not used very much in this episode. I sort of liked the idea of a kid news director promoted from the "internet division" and his armpit stains were kind of funny, but there wasn't a lot of time put into explaining why he was so nervous.

I'll watch a few more episodes, but this one was disappointing, too many stories going on at once so that none of them are developed enough to be really funny.
  • Off to a bad start.

I saw the first episode of "Back to You" and sad to say I didn't like the episode. the supporting cast are one diminisional and the lead by Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton lack chemstry. Right now, all I'm say is that the show is off to a bad start. the exchanged between Grammer and Heaton is more like kids yelling in a schoolyard. it doesn't have the fun of "Frasier." Healton is very sexy and all I'm about to say about this epsiode, But the only good thing that came out of this show, it's better to see this show that that stupid "Kid Nation" (I'd rather call it "Brat Nation")
  • Unlikeable characters and not funny.

2.8
    I mainly watched because I liked the two main actors from their previous shows Frasier and Everybody Loves Raymond. They both have great comic timing, but neither character was likeable here at all, which meant that the entire daughter storyline did not work. None of the supporting characters were funny or likeable. I didn't find the weather girl as bad as most of the reviews I've read.

Being a sitcom, it did not help that there were very little laughs in the episode... I think there were only two or three slightly amusing moments that didn't generate an out-loud laugh.
  • Full of sexual jokes because they aren't clever enough to come up with anything else, the same couple of gags done ad nauseam in the pilot, and unlikable characters.

Even the little plot development halfway through couldn't hold my interest. When I heard these two were doing a series together, I thought that there was no way it could go awry. Sadly, it did. It is full of sexual jokes because they aren't clever enough to come up with anything else, the same couple of gags done ad nauseam in the pilot, and unlikable characters. I am sad to say that I can't find any redeeming quality about this series. If you enjoy intelligent humor and clever writing, avoid this. If you enjoy the humor of 'Til Death, this may be right up your alley.
  • frasier is back i think?

1.1
    grammar plays another highbrow,arrogant personality, heaton is a woman with a sharp tongue (roz?) there is an older useless guy (dad 2.0) and even some nervous guys,yep even the brother is there in 2.0

ayla field must be dreaming of studio 60 as in this show she is cast as a glorified pair of breasts, still she and ty burell get some of the best lines and have some chemistry, something the leads still lack

fred willard is not funny on leno and is even less funny here and josh gad grates on your nerves

laura marano is a breath of fresh air, young but with comic timing,impressive