Back to You

Pilot

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Sep 19, 2007 on FOX

• Flat and a little trite, I wouldn't call it a disaster yet because the actors have such obvious potential.

5.1
    A news anchor is forced to return to his "b-market" roots in Pittsburgh after striking out in LA.

This installment played out very much like a group of gags squashed together to form a story. There are a few laughs but almost all the best lines were ran in the promo commercials. Grammer and Heaton have potential for chemistry, its a little up in the air right now as the main storyline of them sharing a daughter came rather late in the episode. I had high hopes for the "weather girl", maybe she would be a woman with an overly-developed ego, but the comedy takes the cheap way out and implies that she sleeps around and mostly spars with another reporter in a "Just Shoot Me" kind of way. Fred Willard is not used very much in this episode. I sort of liked the idea of a kid news director promoted from the "internet division" and his armpit stains were kind of funny, but there wasn't a lot of time put into explaining why he was so nervous.

I'll watch a few more episodes, but this one was disappointing, too many stories going on at once so that none of them are developed enough to be really funny.