Back to You

Pilot

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Sep 19, 2007 on FOX

• Good cast. Decent characters. Good setting. Interesting plot developments. There's just something missing.

7.3
    All right, I'm gonna start off by saying that I am a huge fan of Frasier as well as Cheers and Raymond is amusing at times. I tuned in, expecting something that was good... and really, I got what I expected. Kelsey Grammer is a great actor, but there is little to separate this character from Frasier Crane at this point. Patricia Heaton I was less impressed with, it seemed like when Kelly wasn't insulting Chuck, she was doing him a favor.

The supporting cast is decent, but it's hard to say where these characters could go. I see little room for Fred Willard's character, but he doesn't really need it. I have high hopes for the manager and the weather girl, but only if they do something to make both of them more than just tired stereotypes.

One thing that was great about the supporting cast in Frasier was that they all had places to go. They were flawed, but we could see them change. Roz sleeps around, but she she deeply cares about Frasier and Alice. Daphne is an odd-ball, but she's a hard-worker. Frasier is a blow-hard, Niles is meticulous, and Martin's stubborn, but when it comes right down to it, they all care very deeply about each other. Seeing a redemptive pattern to these characters is what is necessary.

But then, I doubt all of this was obvious when Frasier was first starting.

So right now, I see potential. There are a lot of good characters, the work-place setting works well, and I can see some interesting developments and plots in the future. Personally, I think it's worth giving it a shot.