Bad Girls

Them and Us

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jun 01, 1999 on ITV

• We are introduced to the prisoners of HMP Larkhall. A new governor, Helen Stewart, arrives much to the objection of many of the current staff due to her being young, a woman, and straight from a university background rather than having a lot of previous

5.8
    We are introduced to the prisoners of HMP Larkhall. A new governor, Helen Stewart, arrives much to the objection of many of the current staff due to her being young, a woman, and straight from a university background rather than having a lot of previous prison experience.

The current recap on the main page is quite prone to exaggeration. I would hardly call the goings-on in the episode a "near riot" at all, although the new wing governor, Helen Stewart, seemed to think it was also. And also I do not recall her superior saying she would get sacked if she didn't reinstate the fashion show, but he did make it clear she was to not keep it cancelled. My general thoughts: a slow first episode. The only character I really like so far is Nikki, so I expect she'll probably die at some point during the show (just my prediction). I don't expect to get sucked into this show like I did with Footballers' Wives, I actually enjoyed that quite a bit. I'll continue to give this show a fair chance though. I've probably just been spoiled by watching Oz, so find this boring by comparison. So, in summary, my initial reaction is that I liked Footballers' Wives more than I thought I would (I still think it has a ridiculous name), and I like Bad Girls less than I thought I would. Only time will tell if my first impression holds true.