Bakemonogatari

Hitagi Crab - Part 1

Aired Saturday 10:00 PM Jul 03, 2009 on Fuji Television

• Stunning visually, but not in terms of story.

I ran into this series through an anime blog I follow. Based on the screenshots shown, I thought at the least I would be entertained visually if nothing else. And well... that's pretty much what happened.

The plot of the first episode can be summarized in less than five minutes, if that. However, in typical anime fashion, it took much longer for things to be established. Characters were introduced somewhat sloppily, leaving viewers with little to like about any of the characters except for their overall designs. Minute details seemed to be blown up to a ridiculous proportion. Even having watched the episode twice, I still cannot fully comprehend the meaning behind some of the lines. Perhaps it's just something lost in translation?

Regardless, what really saved the episode for me would be the plethora of interesting imagery showered throughout the episode. Considering how much the episode relies on such, there must be a better plot coming around the corner, right? When it comes to "artsy" anime such as this, that is route taken: visuals first, plot later.