Bakersfield, P.D.

FOX (ended 1994)

Bakersfield, P.D. Fan Reviews (4)

• Quirky and catchy comedy that had both subtle and overt humor injected into it.

I first watched this because of my love for Ron Eldard, but it quickly became apparent that this was a show that needed to be viewed. I loved Giancarlo Esposito's uptight and out-of-place Gigante as he attempted to have his family settle in at Bakersfield. But the reasons that he's feeling out of place have more to do with him being such a straight-arrow than anything else.

Ron Eldard surprised me when I realized that his character was almost hippie-like and had a child-like nature. And the glee over having Gigante as a partner was, dare I say, adorable. He did his best to get along with his partner - who worked better alone - and even though they moved out of sync throughout the show, there was still a syncopated rhythm in their rhythmless dance.

Fox, of course, did what they normally do with shows that have potential. They shuffled it around until people couldn't find it on their televisions week after week. Bakersfield PD was never really given a chance and truth be told, it truly deserved one.