Band of Brothers

Points

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 04, 2001 on HBO

• Powerful ending to a great series.

Wow, this is really the last episode?! If you have reached this part and are thinking "I WANT MORE", then you won't be let down by the finale.

Winters is the narrator of this episode, and the introduction is really great. This time, instead of having the intro with the 'real soldiers' talking, we delve right into the episode.

We get to see the men break into one of Hitlers birthday gift, and it is truly a remarkable place. Only one person dies in this episode, and it comes as a real shock because it isn't who you think it should be killing off the soldiers, but more, an accident. At the end, when the real Easy Company starts talking again, you now have a greater appreciation for what they did and who they are, we get to know who they are in real life, played by their counterparts in the series, and you get to see some of the stories that couldn't be told because that would give away their real identity.

Truly one of the best mini-series' of all time.
  • At the end of all the fighting... Cast & crew did the best to show us a face of the world right in the day when the second world war ends.

It could sound a bit pathetic, but I really have to admit I have never seen any movie summarizing the end of the WW2 like this episode did. I saw a lot of movies about real lifes of veterans all around the world, but this series and especially this episode is absolutely at the top of my personal scale.
    This episode is not so much about fighting as the other episodes are, but if you want to see and feel something deeper, not only fights, at least for me this is the most emotional episode right after 'Bastogne'.
    Gosh, there are only two movies during which I was crying. Forrest Gump and the last episode of Band of Brothers - 'Points'.
  • Great conclusion to a great mini series

This is such a classic mini series and I have really enjoyed watching it.
    Easy Company finish on a high and capture Hitler's famed "Eagle's Nest" and they learn of the German army's surrender.
    I love how they were all getting "a piece if history" to take home with them. The best being Hitler's private photo album. (Imagine how much that would be worth now!)

But amid all the celebrations all does not end happy. They still have to hang around in Germany because they do not have enough points to go straight home.
    I like how at the end we find out what some of the soldiers did after they got home.
  • Great ending to a wonderful series.

While we take our freedom for granted and view most of the world's military as volunteer, there was a time were there was a draft and mandatory service in the United States and other parts of the world. We forget that most of the soldiers in World War II especially the later years were mostly draftees. There was no rotation out of the fronts like in later years. Most of the men knew that there only a few ways to get home. Dying or Ending the war. This was no different for the men of Easy Company. Most of the men didn't qualify to go home early. This episode show the taking of Hitler's retreat and them going their separate ways. Clearly a happy and sad moment for most of the men. Great Ending.
  • And they shall never be forgotten...

And finally war ends... This episode was so emotionally derived. VE (victory in Europe) has occurred and easy company stays in Autriche (after taking over Germany), waiting for orders. But even off battlefield, the men are dying, some killing each other. As some wait to go to the Pacific or for the war to officially ends, Japan surrendered and World War 2 ended.
    This conclusion was pretty much perfect. It was great to see Buck back and alright and Sobel also back and put to his place by Winters. A strong moment of the episode was when the German officer was talking to his men...what he said is probably exactly what Winters would have said to his man. That`s war...different sides but all soldiers, they do what they have to do.
    The final overview of the characters was excellent..literally brought tears to my eyes. It`s great to think that the great Major Dick Winters , among others is still with us today. These man will never be forgotten. Brothers in Arms they were...a band of Brothers they are.
  • Outstanding! The greatest depiction of war to be shown on screen!

It is not often that a TV series has grabbed my utmost attention but, in the case of the World War 2 drama Band of Brothers, it did so with a vengeance.

Usually the commercial hype puts me off, but this show had two strong drawcards.

One being the pairing of Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks as executive producers, the second was a cast of semi-unknowns.

The latter on big-budget productions tends to point towards strong content not needing 'big-name' sellability. In fact the biggest name on the cast was David Schwimmer from Friends.

There was a lot of flak from critics about his use as a bully-boy, however, I thought he played the role particularly well. (Not being a watcher of Friends probably helped too!)

Anyway, putting aside the need for an early night on Mondays became a ritual as I got caught up in the adventures and lives of the men of Easy Company, in the 506th regiment of the 101st airborne division.

Band of Brothers is very similar in style to the brilliant Saving Private Ryan and it doesn't shy away from blood, guts and killing off characters. (Mind you, is it based on real life people so I guess there was little room for sentiment.)

It is exciting viewing and has the best battlescenes ever made for TV.

And that's not surprising as the series cost about $250million to produce and looking at the imagery leaves you in no doubt about where the money was spent.

The use of digital effects - particularly during the parachute jump scenes - is cinema quality. Spielberg and Hanks did not muck around when spending what they thought necessary to get the desired result and the reward was not only stunning TV - but a bucketful of Emmys.

The photography is utterly superb and the subtle use of grain and muted colours adds a period-quality to the look.

Another very likeable thing about Band of Brothers is its refusal to paint all the Americans as good guys.

There is Allied pillaging, robbing, even the shooting of prisoners and civilians, and the characters are well-rounded and involving. Many of the incidents portrayed come from the diaries, letters and interviews with survivors, and both Spielberg and Hanks have gone a very long way to serve up a thoroughly believable set of men.

The 10-episode series covers four years of WW2 from parachute training, through D-Day and the assault on the Normandy beaches, the battle to liberate France, Operation Market Garden (a Bridge Too Far), the Battle of the Bulge, freeing concentration camp prisoners and capturing Hitler's Eagle's Nest.

Two of the key characters are the young officers Richard Winters (Damian Lewis) and Lewis Nixon (Ron Livingston) and it is mainly through them you see the war unfold.

There are no weak links in the cast and the full-on action and drama will have you absolutely riveted to your screen.