Band of Brothers

Why We Fight

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 28, 2001 on HBO

• Wow...this episode made me shiver.

God damn it...that episode was disturbing...to say the very least. It made me shiver...brought tears to my eyes...gave me goosebumps.
    War is reaching its end as the allies starts to invade Germany. But in Germany, they discovered Nazi concentration camps. I`ve heard of such camps before but never really imagined the horrors. And that was disturbing...the energy present when the soldiers discovered those people left starving to death..living with the corpse of their love ones, made me shivered..big time. I was literally speechless. The worst part of this is that it really happened, people were really left like that..it`s inhuman, yet it happened.
    Also, we saw that Nick is having some trouble dealing with the reality of war as his wife wants divoce and is taking everything, even the dog (Oh those Girls :D) But when Nick had to face the reality of those concentration camp, can this pain even be compared to his?
    Excellent episode to say the least.
  • This is painful due to the occurences, not the acting.

A great episode where Easy company discovers a concentration camp. This not only showed how human the soilders were with there reaction to what they descovered but how truely evil the Nazi party and Hitler were. It blows my mind everytime i think about how they could beleive this was truely the right thing to due. Easy is forced into a situation here that could be as mentally challenging as many of them faced at the Battle of the Bulge during countless shellings, especially after they had to keep the prisoners in the camp in order to get them healthy in the long run as eating to quik could have killed them. This episode is ecxactly why everyone should watch this entire series as well as some others about this time. As some suggested with Shindler's list, some people may need some klenex's nearby as some images are desturbing. I would advise parents watching before allowing there kids in order to decide if it right for there own children.
  • E-company finds a concentration camp.. very painful pictures

This episode is the most confronting of all because of the exploration of the camp. When I watched this my heartbeat was somewhere up my throat. Just like the whole Band Of Brothers series no censury whatsoever, that's also a thing I like from B-o-B. No **** just show it to us how it's like. This episode is certainly one of the best because of it's reality and storyline. Another highlight in the B-o-B series, in my opinion, is the overtaking of the eagle's nest: that mountain where hitler spend the last days of his miserable life. I could almost feel the freedom & relief the soldiers must have felt when they reached the top.
  • Liberation is a better title.

The intro of this episode is beautiful with the violins, and it is perfect once we get into it. The story at first is extremely slow, mostly showing one soldier breaking down and whatnot.

This is also the first episode to which we are treated to a flashback, which isn't nearly as interesting as the scene with the liberation of the Jews in the camp. That was the most haunting scene that stills stays with me, when they arrive at the internment camp. The way the 'real soldiers' describe it is really moving.

The show begins with the violin and ends with the violin; very, very moving overall.
  • One of the few episodes that can be missed but shouldnt because of the topic.

This episode is not for the faint at heart. This episode deals mainly with the concentration camps and the crimes committed there. I like how it shows how shocking to even Easy Company's men the sight before them. The horrors of a battlefield seemed pale in comparison to what they witnessed there. I don't think anyone can recreate the actual conditions but the message was well delivered. What I also like was the local Germans that lived near the town were oblivious to what was happening near by. In all with no fighting sequences this was a very touching episode.
  • The actors really got to work in this one, and they did it incredibly well.

Definitely one of the best episodes of the series... It asks the question of why they fight, and then gives the answer. I'm a pacifist and don't believe in war, but WW2 is the exception (from the Allied forces' part). Although the Allied didn't fight to save the Jews, their fighting saved the lives of more people than we could ever estimate. It's the one war where I can see a greater purpose to the fighting.

In this episode the soldiers are weary with the war, and can't find any meaning to why they are there risking their lives. It's an odd mixture of apathy and irritation, and they begin to lash out or take to the bottle. Then they stumble on the concentration camp... I was a bit worried that they would go over the top with how they portrayed this part and make it cheezy rather than moving, but they kept a very fine balance. Good use of music and cinematography, and above all they let the actors do most of the work rather than the script. Instead of trying to grasp it through dialogue the actors used their facial expressions and their body language, which worked beautifully. A picture says more than a thousand words, and this also got across a few different reactions. Some were in disbelief, some were disgusted, some were near tears... I think the most moving bit was when one of the camp inmates came up to one of the soldiers and kissed him and hugged him tight, and the soldier (was it Webster?) just hugged him back and with eyes wide of shock didn't seem to know how to handle it. It was a really great shot, done wonderfully by the actors.

Though I am confused as to why Webster, who was the German translator in the last episode, suddenly doesn't speak German anymore.
  • The men of Easy Company stumble upon an abandoned concentration camp.

The men of Easy Company see another horrific side of war when they stumble upon an abandoned concentration camp. Just as these men are, I was absolutley shocked and horrified. I actually caught this episode late at night and was sucked in immediately. The next thing I know I am crying like a child at the reality of this war.

This episode is so moving that I have shown it to my English II students while reading a novel focusing on the Holocaust (spelling?). It does an excellent job of depicting not only the reality of the prisoners' condition, but also the reaction of the soldiers who had to discover the camp.

I cannot say enough good things about this episode.
  • Best episode of the series, very sad because it was true.

This would without a doubt be my favorite episode of the entire series. Knowing that it was true and really did happen makes it a really sad and hard episode to watch. (Have the tissues handy!)
    I could not imagine what those soldiers were thinking when they found the Nazi Concentration Camps. And to have to keep them there because they were suffering from starvation would have been even harder.
    The costumes and make-up of the actors in the concentration camp was excellent.
    The scenes were so well done.
    This is a must see episode if you can handle just how graphic it is.
  • Easy Company finds a concentration camp and sees the horrors of Hitler's Final Solution firsthand.

The soldiers' reactions to the concentration camp emphasize just how grotesque and inhumane the Holocaust was. The men of Easy Company have been in plenty of life-threatening situations and they are certainly no strangers to carnage. But they are horrified and shocked when they find the camp. Perconte can't figure out how to describe it and Liebgott cries. Later, Winters says the Russians liberated a camp that was worse (because it was larger) and Nixon says, "Worse?" in a disbelieving tone of voice like he doesn't know how anything could be worse. I don't think these kind of reactions were uncommon among soldiers. I read that when General Patton went to Auschwitz he became physically ill after hearing an inmate describe the conditions. The Holocaust is something that Executive Producer Steven Spielberg feels very strongly about and he's created a powerful portrayal of it here.