Baretta Forums

ABC (ended 1978)

Mixed Feelings

pirategennie

[1]Sep 13, 2006
    • level: 10

Okay, this one was always a little over the top, so no matter how many points it tried to rack of for gritty reality, reality wasn't really the name of the game.  Blake's personality was, and you have to admit he had charm.  And everyone wanted to be on his side of course... root for the little guy, yes?  But how, in retrospect, does one look past the actor's personal issues?

It'd be easier if he were playing a character with whom he didn't so obviously identify.  In many ways he was playing himself.  This makes it VERY hard to look past that self, and who that self turned out to be.

Anyone else finding this?

g

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AprilFox

[2]Oct 6, 2006
    • level: 109
    Robert Blake always had demons. Still does, no one goes unscathed especially since his childhood was so abusive. He was very talented in the series Baretta and it earned him an Emmy.

pirategennie

[3]Oct 6, 2006
    • level: 10

AprilFox wrote:
    Robert Blake always had demons. Still does, no one goes unscathed especially since his childhood was so abusive. He was very talented in the series Baretta and it earned him an Emmy.

oh talent he had, for sure -- in fact to me it's ironic he got an emmy for baretta because he clearly at least IMAGINED he was just playing himself!  his other work shows he can actually create a character, though, and spookily enough the two roles with which i was most impressed were both true-life murderers:  in cold blood was one, and i forget the title of the other but he played a guy who slaughtered his entire family, changed his identity, remarried and lived a whole new life for decades before being caught.  maybe you can help me out with that title if you know which film i mean.  despite his recent troubles, these two characters are quite far from his, and from each other in fact, and show his true talent as an actor.

but baretta could be fun, if you were willing to look at life as a sort of 1970s damon runyanland.  i often was!

g