Barnaby Jones

CBS (ended 1980)

SrRui

Barnaby Jones Fan Reviews (5)

• A super tv show with lots of good action that keeps the plot interesting.

It was a super series that I always watched. My favorite episode was Murder Go Round. My friend and I to this day can do the act 4 scene by memory. Great cast and it was a great show. Buddy and Lee were a great acting team. They always managed to also have fantastic supporting cast members. It was a shame it ended in 8 years. I guess that puts it in with some of the all time great shows though. Buddy was one of the few actors who could change roles and not be typecast. He went from Jed Clampett to Barnaby Jones without a hitch.
  • A television series that returned Buddy Ebson and teamed him with Miss America,1955

Barnaby Jones was a 65 year old private detective based out of Los Angeles, California. He is lured out of retirement after his son Hal was murdered during a case.

Armed with a gun and a big 1970's Ford Crown Victoria(Quinn Martin tie-in). He rides the trail getting involved in cases that involve foul play, and unusual circumstances. His office located in Downtown Los Angeles also has an extensive library and forensic lab.

Assisting him is Lee Merriweather(Miss America 1955) as his daughter in-law Betty and later in the series. Mark Shera as Jedidiah Romano(JR)Jones, his cousin and a law student who also helps Barnaby and Betty.

Guest stars include: Bradford Dillman, Roddy McDowell, William Conrad(As Frank Cannon), Jamie Farr, Mike Farrel, Leslie Nielson, Jaqueline Scott, and many others.
  • Good show that needed some work.

Okay, so I watched this show for Mark Shera. I admit it. I first saw him on SWAT, and had no idea he moved on to this series after that one was cancelled until a year or two after this one ended.

I thought JR was a better role for him than Luka, though both characters had some depth to them.

I liked JR's chemistry with Betty. No romance there, but that's fine. I didn't expect one. They just played off each other very well.

As for the series as a whole. I think the show was more interesting when Mark joined the cast. Perhaps that's a biased viewpoint, I don't know. But I think the show definitely attracted a younger crowd when Mark joined it.

I'd love for this to be on DVD. I spotted an episode on TV Land a year or so ago, but that was a one-off. Haven't seen any since.
  • one of the good ones

this was one of the only detective shows worth watching in the 70's. it had jed clampett as barnaby jones. this show was ten times better than starsky and hutch, baretta, banachek, policewoman or any of the others. it had jed clampett!!! what more could anyone ask for. it was great.
  • Barnaby Jones blew past my expectations. At first, I had expected same old same old plot development but twist after turn of excitement and action just way exceeded my expectations.

Barnaby Jones blew past my expectations. At first, I had expected same old same old plot development but twist after turn of excitement and action just way exceeded my expectations. Mind you, there were some problems (most discontinuity issues) that I don't have the time to mention but all in all, a solid 9.