Barney and Friends

PBS (ended 2009)

Barney and Friends Fan Reviews page 2 of 5

4.6
  • I hated it even when I was little

How could anybody stand such a stupid show? Glad it got canceled! Bob west got this show canceled for saying a curse word. Thank you Bob West! This show totally sucked!!!
  • I'd smack this dinosaur with my guitar if he comes to my home.

This guy is absolutely annoying and stupid in anyways that you can think off.

Plot: A dinosaur named Barney, always misleads the children in the wrong way along with his other dinosaur friends.

Characters: What is worst in this show? Barney itself. I bet that giant cloth is up to no good, his other dinosaur friends are innocent and seems good though. I don't like Barney's design. It has a look that it stares creepily, more deeper. And that smile is just evil. Barney could fit into a death metal band or post-death metal album. Plus he sucks at singing, it sounds like a fly buzzing around. I hate flies. The kids and the other dinosaurs, are okay. Barney is just..... disturbing for be in a kids show.

Educational value: Barney misleads the children to talk anyone that you don't even know. Singing can make everyone happy really fast. Or being a plain sheep, thinking the world is always happy, or no bad people around. Thanks Barney, you made the children more weak by your stupidity. You're more dangerous than Lumpy. Lumpy only kills couple of things by his stupidity, while you making danger in children's lives worldwide.

Overall: -2.1. This dinosaur, would be great for me if he joins a death metal band. I bet he will do good there.
  • very upset

Okay today on the episode of Barney Baby Bop said that she doesn't eat food the same color as me so now my child said he wasn't going to eat greens anymore so please make sure that you know what they are saying before you put it on tv. I am one upset mom right now
  • I WANT TO KILL BARNEY!

I absolutly hate this show why cant the kids go up to Barney and say DIE BARNEY DIE!
  • The Infamous Purple D'Saur!

He is a legend to me. I learn so much watching this academic show. He is funny, simple, and just a cool character that's hard to follow!
  • A Children's Show That Has Overstayed Its Welcome. Or Has It Even Really Ever Been Welcomed In The First Place?

Of course, I, too, was among the many kids who grew up on watching Barney. I don't believe I ever really considered it among my favorites from my childhood. There are much better shows of the same format or genre that I preferred to it (and still do). I never really thought much of it and I never noticed just how many flaws there are within this kid show. I stopped watching and following this around the season in which the newer characters, that purple bird whose exact name I forget, Ms. something or other, and that squirrel, Scooter McNutty were introduced. Barney made me think of and remember that Animaniacs episode/segment in which the Warner siblings met the Barney parody, Baloney. I'd just wanted to mention that because I'd like to say the writer (or writers) of that nice shot you (or y'all) took at it.

No offense to any this generation's kids who do love Barney. I and others know that he's not so much for us who are out of the youth demographic now apparently, so evidently he'd no longer appeal to us (if ever, at all). But that's not the only reason. Many of us feel that this isn't among the best or greatest children shows of all time and that there have been much better for the youngsters to watch. It astounds me that this series has been running for about two decades now and hasn't gone extinct yet. I concur with others who think the same. It's high time for this to end now. I don't know if I can truly consider it overrated. Overrated by who? Other than the majority of children maybe. Surely not us older viewers. But it definitely has been overexposed for the longest. Until coming across the reviews mention the episode about strangers supposedly being your friends, I think I'd forgotten about that one. I read a review of Barney on another site that that episode has since been banned, following the controversy of a girl who was kidnapped by one. Just what was (or what were) the writer (or writers) thinking? Sending that wrong message to the young viewers. Another bad message I forgot about is not encouraging nor condoning individualism. There seems to be more flaws than the very few perfections there are with this show. And there's just so much wrong with it than not. Again, there have been other kid programs far more superior than this. If I had kids, I'd show and raise them up on those instead. And hopefully, Barney wouldn't be their favorite either. Although I now agree that Barney can be a bad influence on children, I'm not totally sure if I should nor could prevent my own from watching it. They might still want to watch it anyway regardless and I'm not sure I could ban them, even if it's for their own good. I don't recommend this as one of the first early education series toddlers should watch. Barney is brainwashing rubbish and detrimental to one's learning, and development.
  • great show

i watched this show when i was 2.But when i grew older i forgot about this great show and i watched other cartoons.i made a bad mistake,i dont really watch this show now but my little 5 year old brother does.i watch this show a little bit now.barney ya rule
  • baaaaah

0.5
    boring
  • Instead of telling my experience with this show, how about I tell it to you in a kids point of view.

7.7
    This show is for young children! I must stress it out.

This show was one of my favorits as a child, and lemme tell you why. The story revolves around a dinousaur who teaches kids about numbers, letters, imagination, among the plenty of lessions they teach us. It has cathcy music, it's characters are from abled to blind, to deaf, and... it was one of the shows that wanted me to go to school.

For people who don't understand, this is a CHILDREN'S show! You are NOT gonna like it! It's a cute show for people 5 and under. It was... it's still going strong a cute. I recommened it to children under 5.
  • Lame!

This show is the suckiest show in the history of lame shows. So let me get this straight: A purple dinosaur doll comes to life and runs around with a bunch of little kids. Okay. This is how I see it: A purple, man-eating dinosaur is leading a lot of kids around. He leads the kids to a little old restaraunt. He leads them into a dark room. Then he goes back outside...without any kids following along. Then if you're close you hear Barney say ,"Yummy in my tummy."Barney is a stalker. Plus, The show is for babies, not 15 year old boys (like me).
  • The show is about a imaginary purple dinosaur that has adventures with the other characters who come to the park to play. They learn life lessons, discuss problems, and tend to have a wonderful time (singing, dancing, etc). A great show for any child.

Barney is a great show that teaches children many life lessons that some parents today don't feel are very important or are too lazy to teach their children themselves. I love watching Barney with my 20 month old daughter....when we are not out exploring & playing. We sing, dance, learn, and have fun together. This season has Barney traveling with the children all over the world to teach them about differences & diversity (as well as discovery). Shows like Barney help making learning fun and encourage children to be kind, respectful, and helpful. I actually find myself humming some of the songs and it makes me happy knowing that my daughter enjoys them too.
  • WTF?

I Know that this is a pregrade small children's show, But I Never standed this show in my Life (Neither when I Was Younger). But Please tell me, How did this show last this long, That's impossible. I Mean a show that is a quadrillion (Actually ''Gogolplex'') times Better was cancelled after a year, and this garbage keeps on airing. This show really needs to get canceled an it is high time that the dinousaors get extinct after almost 20 years of this trash on TV. But what type of shamefull Trash is this. Also something that really distracted me is that annoying yellow dinaousaur.
  • This show should be illegal

Dora The Explorer is now known as the worst educational show of all time. However,looking back in the 90's,there was another show that seemed like the prodessor,and it's still around. And this show is called Barney and Friends. This show is about a purple dinosaur named Barney who teaches kids life lessons. Now the first problem I have is the fact how the dinosaurs look. Barney is just downright creepy,so is BJ(that sounds wrong),Baby Bop and that Orange dinosaur. This show also has terrible lessons that teach kids the wrong things. For example,a stranger is a friend we don't know. I did my research,and I thought we had to avoid strangers as kids. Way to go,Barney. Another lesson is how there are no jerks in the world. Seriously Barney? I want to see the look on a child's face when they get bullied. But the worst part about this show are the stinkin musical numbers. I mean,they are repetitive,and most of them are stupid,especially the idiotic "I love you,you love me" song. And what's worse is the fact that despite this show sucks,it's still on the air. Why? This show has gotten negative reception,and yet PBS Kids still continues to air it. Overall,PBS Kids,please cancel this. It's nothing more than a terrible educational show that teaches kids wrong things,and it's the prodessor of Dora.

• Stupidest, most pointless, most hated, most incoherent, most unpopular, most unwanted, most uncool, and worst educational show ever.

Who came up with this idea that an unintelligent, indecent, brianless dinosaur who incoherently plays with kids and uneducationally not teaching them. I wish this show is cancelled. It is probably cancelled now. Since, I don't watch this show anymore, at least people can have quite a TV time. It ruined the 90's and 00's and the nowadays, it is probably still airing. Stupid dinosaur thinks he can air his unpopular show all the time!!!!!!!!! They need to take it OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF! I'm so sick of this show brainwashing me to death! I wish it was cancelled! Alot of teenagers and adults hate this show! Because it has a lack of educational value! STUPID SHOW!

• This show is terrible! But at least its a little better than Teletubbies.

1.3
    Ok, first of all, I hate this show and I'd love it to get cancelled, but it is for children and its there for their enjoyment. At least this doesn't completely rot your brain,like the Teletubbies does, even though this sucks too! Barney is a pretty stupid character, mind you! His voice is AWFUL! The whole thing was meant for the little kids, so that's the reason I gave it a 1.3 instead of a 0.1. Still a crappy show though...
  • I hate this show so much but i am not done. DO NOT CANCELL IT! WHy? Read to find out.

1.1
    Ok admin it everyone. We all watched this show a long long long time ago but we liked it didn't we? But we don't like it now. And you aren't sposed to like it now! This show is for little kids to enjoy. And it is good for little kids. Do you think that this show still airs cause it was made for you guys? No it was made for the little kids. I remeber when i was little hoping that they wont show those big kid shows i was really sad about that. And you guys are saying to cancell a show that makes little kids entertained? There are so many good shows for us and you are saying cancell one of the few good shows for little kids? My advice ignore the show and let the little kids have fun
  • BARNIE. Barney and Friends is a Great show, but a lot of People think it sucks.

5.9
    This is about a Six-Inch Purple Dinosaur Plushie, That comes to life as a Guy in a Six-Foot Costume, at Kindergarten. He then helps kids Social Skills and How to be Creative. I\'m not sure if Barney talks down to kids or anything, he is Educatonal. It is funny with stuff like the Popcorn song and stuff. Barney is a Good show, he teaches life lessons.

Barnie\'s Great Adventure is good too. :)
  • this is the greatest show ever! NOT!

If this show was cancled I'd jump up and down. Literally. This is not only the worst kid show but the worst show on the whole entire planet. A talking dinosaur? Not in my world. I never even wacthed it when I was a kid. I only watched Thomas the tank engine, Shining Time Station and Theodore Tugboat. Now those are kid-mature shows. Not like this one. This show is so stupid. All they do is sing dumb songs to make the little children go nuts! Sadly, two of the three shows are cancled. These shows are 100% better. Here's a bit of advice. DON'T WATCH THIS SHOW! CHANGE THE CHANNEL! Or watch it at your own risk. You are liable to be brain-dead!I can imagine now Thomas runing over Baney now with purplr ooze everywhere!
  • Barbaric, Idotic

0.0
    "Barney and friends" we might of liked it when when we are below 5 but by 7 you see the light. It stinks out loud and on ice. Theres one thing most kids age 6 and above hate about barney. It's stupid edcatanal. Barney might go, "5+1=6. Repeat that kids." Along Bob the builder, Tickle U, Dora etc. It STINKS.
  • A purple dinosaur telling you whats right and what isn't.

Seriously you learned so many thing from Barney. You have to give him some credit. He made you warm inside every time the theme song was heard. He sort of taught you how to sing and hug. he told you to share and it would make you a better person. that show helps you to reach heaven when you die. The producer wants all the viewers to go to heaven. This show is mentioned every day. Every time you hear or say baney it reminds you of the friendly purple dinosaur. I think if we were forced to watch the show non- stop we'd be better human beings. Though we'd be pretty stupid.
  • Great for kids. Loved by all.

You people are rating this on how much YOU like it, but what you should be thinking is what it is like to the audience that is supposed to watch it! Little kids! It is very educational, fun, and funny for littles kids from 1-8! I used to watch Barney, and love it. The kids think he is real, and really learn alot. Now, I watch it with my baby sister (12 months old, as of 2006), and it is her favorite show. She learned her first words from it, and dances to it. It has become a show that some people are embarassed to admit that they watch, because its a baby show, but if you are reading this, I am sure that you watched it and loved it as a kid, and probably still do. Especially you people that rated it bad, or wrote a bad review for it. Thank You.
  • here's some FUN songs for barney!!

JOY to the dead barney
    a-hem
    Mimimimimimimi
    Joy to the world, that barney's DEAD! we barbequed his head! Don't worry about the boOOdy we flushed it down the poOOtty and around and around it goes, and around and around it goes, we found it in the seEEwer we gave it to a neEEwer he found a head of a bass, and shoved it up his ass!, joy TO the wooOOrld that barney's dead.
    I hate you
    i hate you, you hate me let's go out and KILL bar-ney with a shot gun to his head kick him in the nuts, oops, look at that barney dunce.

• Why is this trash still on?

0.0
    I hate this show, it makes kids think the world is nice and friendy, no it's not. And they almost raise kids, for you. That is the parents job, not some dumbass dino. I think this show was made just for lazy Moms and Dads who just plop their kids in front of the tv and say let him raise the brats. So they will leave us alone. Well I think it's time to boycot the show.
  • No wonder everyone hates Barney.

The fat purple dinosaur sucks. It sucked on--April Fool's Day too, and it sucks still today. Is it even on anymore? I used to tear off one of the eyes on a plush Barney doll I had...I must have unconsciously voiced my opinion about him. The big purple-chemical colored bozo has cheerfully brainwashed our children for years about stuff they could have learned on their own. I felt 1 degree dumber than I should have, watching this piece of garbage. The songs are annoying, the morals reek of parental control, and the children look way too happy to be around a fat purple Tyrannosaurus Rex--don't they eat meat? Perhaps that's why the kids disappear every season...

...in other words: watch something else. Between the Lions, maybe?
  • I can't see why this show has been running this long.

This is one of the worst preschool shows ever. I'm not saying that because I'm not in the target audience, it's just not something for small children to take to heart.

The morals are awful. A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet? It's okay to touch dangerous stinging insects? It's okay to put a plastic bag over your head? No! In fact, I remember one episode where this girl is sad because her cat died or something. How does Barney tell her to cope? By singing happily with everyone else. Terrible. Here's another one. One kid wants to sing and dance, one kid wants to color, and the other one wants to read a story. Now, do the kids go off and do what they wanted by themselves? No. They have to all take turns. Oy vey...

What do we learn? That everyone in the world is happy and that no one is mean on this planet. *shakes head*

1 out of 10. This is a terrible example of children's television.
  • This show is good for teaching you manner's , repect and how to sing songs . And how to imagion or pretend . Do you know that Barney has a FaceBook and his own websight that is WWW.Barney.com

This show is a classic show that should personaly stay on the air for gorations and I love watching this show on my youtbe acount. And I like to sing along to the song's which are easy and toally cool and amazing and fun to do . Alot of youtuber's have acount's dedicated to Barney, Or many Barney characters . I have one dedicated to "BabyBop" I think this show should win an award for best T.V. show catrigorey for best learning show and for kid's with special need's and how to care and aprocate life as a child.
  • barney's put on weight!!! no way!!

ok i will try to be a nice guy on this review but i might get a little grumpy

OK, after this show first premired on PBS on April 6, 1992, the network started to lose it's educational value when they air kids shows. I mean seriously, what the heck does this show teach kids, absolutly NOTHING, i mean like seriously, even barney the man/dinosaure himself is gettin fat and old and losing his unique dinosaruic touch

on a more positive note, i would like to say that my favorite characters are Barney, Baby Bop, B.J., Riff, Michael, Amy, Luci, Adam, Derek, Jason, and they really get me goin on a hard day
  • "Barney and Friends" might entertain kids but, not educate them.

"Barney and Friends" is the popular PBS preschooler show about the adventures of Barney and his friends.

The tile character Barney is a purple dinosaur that seems to have undergone botox and always seem to smile all the time. Barney educates these somewhat lifeless children about the lessons of life. Throughout the show, Barney would usually dance and sing with the children as part of the lesson. The lesson is usually told with a problem being resolved by a story that Barney likes to tell. At the end, Barney hugs and kisses and says good bye to the kids and at the end becomes a toy again.

"Barney" is a show that sounds educational but, it isn't. This show's basic problem is that the kids are too perfect, because in Sesame Street the kids are not perfect. The kids in Sesame Street are more realistic like in one episode there was a deaf girl and in another episode there was a kid in a wheelchair. Another problem, Barney is a weird choice for these kids' mentor because dinosaurs seem too scary for little kids. In "Sesame Street" the Muppets were not scary and were nice mentors. Also, it's kind of creepy to see kids that age could have an imaginary friend. Another creepy thing is that Barney is hugging and kissing these kids and I felt that a dinosaur hugging a group of children was too creepy.

"Barney" is a very flawed show, I think at best this might entertain very little kids maybe one and under. "Barney" does deserve a place in my list of the worst shows I've ever seen.
  • Who thought of this show for kids.

1.8
    This review was written by an autistic Boy who has severe communications difficulties. As such we are removing the review but leaving his rating as is. We will be moderating all his posts from this point forward as an effort to avoid any confusion and hurt feelings. This blanking of what he has written will happen to all the "Reviews" he has made at this time, and should any be made in the future they will be done on a case by case basis. Please do not take offence at our sons words or reviews as he is struggling to communicate with a world that he has trouble reasoning with.
  • I used to watch this when I was younger.

7.3
    I remember when i was on the bus and they would make up songs out of this show. Instead of "i love you, you love me" they would say something like "i hate barney, you do to, lets kill him..". I know it was kidish and had no point but to teach little kids matters. I don't know why everyone hates this show so much so. The one thing I really do have against this show is that on the news: the dude in the suite took advantage of little kids. Which is really sad that happen. Though this show is past its prime, people should show this show more respect.
1 2 3 4 5