Barney Miller Forums

ABC (ended 1982)

Favorite Quotes

IndianaMom

[1]Feb 28, 2007
    • level: 54
    This show had so many great quotes. What are some of your favorites?

One of my favorites is when Yemana is high and says, "Anybody seen my legs?"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pursuedbybear

[2]Mar 8, 2007
    • level: 28

This was such a great series and so much of the comedy was carried by the dialogue between the characters.

A few of my favorites are all from the "Hash" episode, one of the all time funniest single episodes in TV history. Yemana describes how he like to dunk the brownies in coffee so they get "Mushy, mushy, mushy" or there is his stoned suggestion "Hey guys, why don't we go down the beach and shoot some clams?" And also in the same episode  Barney asks Harris if he is still able to function after eating the brownies, Harris replies with pleased self confidence "sharp as a tack". And let's not forget Fish's reaction to the new that he has inadvertantly taken drugs: "Great. The first time I feel good in decades and it's illegal". The lines are terrific, but they're all made even better but each actor's exquisite delivery.

But the king of line delivery was Steve Landesburg as Deitrich. His deadpan line readings made even the weakest jokes soar. Some of my favorites are, firstly, as everyone is trying to figure out the nature of the device delivered to the precinct, Deitrich casually walks by and off handedly asks "Who brought the bomb?" or what about when charged with sexual misconduct, Deitrich desribes a nude woman taking off her housecoat and dropping it on the floor. Barney asks Arthur what he was thought when that happened, he casually replies "I figured: gravity." And when discussing his atheism with Barney, Miller asks him what would he say if after he died he suddenly found himself  in heaven facing God. Deitrich replies "Oops".

IndianaMom

[3]Jan 2, 2008
    • level: 54
    Nick: (using a pencil for a chopstick) Oh, my god! I ate my eraser!