Basilisk

IFC (ended 2007)

DJSagittarius

Basilisk Fan Reviews (15)

• I watched it in less than 24 hours

the last episode, ultimately makes it a good show so forget the people giving it bad rep. The quick flash of Oboro and Gennosuke along with the two elderly as if they were married awesome and overall complete. you watch each episode but the end makes you reflect on the first and the circle is complete. I liked the show. I would suggest it ( even though i always suggest shows). This was very good though and i liked it more than most of the stories i've been watching lately.

• By the end of it all, I wasn't sure what exactly I was watching. A tragic love story or an action show? And here thus lies the problem of Basilisk; it's really confused on its identity.

We are with no hesitation treated to some great and awesome lookin' battles upon the first three episodes of Basilisk. Like really, some of the best anime has to offer combining strategy with aesthetic value, and with the way the plot set itself up, ten ninjas on one side and ten on another, it looked like it was going to remain this way for the rest of the way. Though there really needs to be a clause in anime where producers can't spend more than half of its budget on just the first couple episodes, cause although the show has some great fight scenes, most of them are in the beginning.

Animes are normally built on the strength of its story and characters, though with Basilisk's action oriented approach, this looks like one anime that you would rather watch for its fights, cause there really isn't much story to it. Basically the shogun are presented with a conflict of choosing their next heir, so they pit two ninja villages who hate each othe against each other, and the winner will decide the outcome of the next shogunate. The plot is remarkably thin and doesn't have much going for it in the form of plot twists.

Character development? This is something that Basilisk handles better than the story. Ten ninjas on each side, there's surprisingly good character development amongst all of them. Each with their own personality, history, etc. The down side? A character dies every episode. There's no problem with that, except that other than the two main characters, most of the character development for each of the characters happens upon the episode that they are killed in. So the pattern is rather predictable, and we really have no opportunity to fortify ourselves with the characters, since they all just die off.

A story thinner than noodles and characters that can't seem to stay alive, doesn't sound like a show that has anything going for it, right? The charm comes from its fights and the concepts behind each battle. The ninjas all possess powers as diverse from a Marvel or DC comic. One guy has elastic skin where he can stretch his legs and arms, a woman can kill you with her very kiss, another guy whose whistles can create blackholes, an immortal who has lived for centuries, etc. The creativity behind all the fights are sure enough to keep your attention despite the lack of character development and story.

Now the problem is that all the good battles occur in the first half. The first three episodes give us some super juicy looking battles, then the aesthetic value slowly tones down every episode, and then eventually the battles become somewhat average. In addition, Basilisk opens up action oriented, and suddenly changes its focus on a hardcore love relationship. No problem with this, except that because of this change, Basilisk feels like it lacks an identity and there wasn't enough committment on any of its themes that it feels incomplete.

Basilisk for half the way looked like it is going to be a rare exception where its great looking and well thought out battles is pulling it forward and not the characters and story, and then the battles get worse, an instant change of heart midway through, somewhere along the way you think to yourself "where did it go wrong?" Though it does have an epic "tragic romance" ending like William Shakespeare himself wrote it. In the end though Basilisk is without an identity that lacks enough development in any of its areas to feel really whole.
  • omg...wait.....i thought...this was shippuden.....

well..all that i can say . . is . . this . . anime got so many things out of naruto that im not going to even bother saying them . . its a good anime. . .a little to much with the violence and stuff . . but it was a'worth seeing'. . . . but than again..if you have seen naruto. . . . theres nothing new to see here . . . . but watch it . . if you are a hard core anime fan . . . so . . peace ! ! ! .
  • story wise its terrible action wise its sub par. spoilers ahead

ok i watched this series and i have to say it was pretty much just a crappy ninja version of romeo and juliet. with alot and i do mean alot of innapropriate sex scenes. seriously could the writer have been anymore sexist towards women? their only power is to kill the enemy while being raped. fail.

the art style and some of the fights were really the only enjoyable parts of this anime. having watched both the dub and sub i can honestly say their about the same.

the butterflies were very nicely animated and pretty to look at but sadly had no abilities or creativity used for them. at least bleach knows how to properly use a butterfly. all the female characters suck due to poor writing. why were they even allowed to be ninja if your going to treat them like they have no say in anything. what is this the 1400s?
    most of the male cast were either ugly, rapists, or ugly rapists. the only nice ones with neat attacks die a couple eps in. poor fatty mudwall blackhole and hair guys they were the only ones with actual abilities. the rest of them could only spit at you or look at you with their eyes to kill ya
  • Basilisk is a great anime. It has love stories, conflicts, action, vengeance, treason and much more.

Basilisk is a great anime. It has love stories, conflicts, action, vengeance, treason and much more. It is impossible not to love it. When you see an episode, you can't stop seeing until you finish the whole story. It has an addiction quality.
    The animation and the sound are superb with a great care for the minimum detail.
    The end is very tragic, but realistic. Some may say it was unoriginal, but I can´t see other possibility for an end, so it fits like a glove.
    Some may say the battles are too short, but I think this is one of the qualities of the show. It serves to show us how life is fragile and gives it a sense of speed that fits the story perfectly.
    It has some flaws, but they are a minor problem, because of the quality of the rest of the show. One flaw that I can say is the use of gratuitous nudity scenes. Some are necessary to the history, but some are forced. Although none is really disgusting.
  • It is sad to realize that some of the best shows on TV yet, including Basilisk, end after the very first season...

I'll put this as simply as I can... after Fushigi Yuugi, this has to be one the BEST SHOWS I have ever watched. Period. The overwhelming storyline, the fluid animation, the score... everything is top-notch. Basilisk is one of those very few shows that you don't want to leave till you've watched the very last episode of the very last season. It's more than memorable characters and the hardships and suffering and even the happiness in their lives will make you feel as if you're their fellow traveler... the show is that good. I can only say that this show is a must see for EVERYONE, man, woman or child. Kudos to it's creators; I can only hope to see another season again.
  • Gennosuke and Oboro are star-crossed-lovers from rival ninja clans. When the fragile peace ends, their relationship is forever shattered. Their respective clans engage in a war of annihilation. Will the lovers ever find the solace their souls desire?

Basilisk is an interesting series. It's not quite what I expected, but it was still pretty good show. I'd grade the series as a B-. Basilisk is a rather strange blend of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and Superfriends vs the Legion of Doom. The premise of the series was quite intriguing and as the plot begins to unfold, the storyline is engaging as well. I observed two aristilian 'truths': structure-vs.-agency and love-vs.-duty. Both of these elements give Basilisk a timeless, cross-cultural undercurrent. This was a big plus for my enjoyment - I would have rated this series much higher if not for a number of distractions. There was a more culturally specific element that I found endearing: the Buddhist concept of unity/totality. When Gennosuke says to Oboro something like, 'we will be one if it takes a 1000 lifetimes and a 1000 worlds', I felt emotionally choked-up (my wife who is a Buddhist has said something very similar to me). Basilisk employs a number of literary devices including foreshadowing, flashback, and metaphor. I had the impression that the storyline and characters were well thought. Some of the dialogue and character development was very good, very engaging. Unfortunately, some of the character development seemed forced, and some seemed pointless because the character would die right after 30 minutes of development. Similarly, I found much of the dialogue engaging and I was able to relate and empathize with some of the characters, Oboro in particular. There were a few subplots, mostly personal vendettas, that added more depth to the main storyline. But some other subplots seems a little gratuitous. The animation was sub par, although the english voice-overs were superior. There was a fair balance of action/combat, dialogue, and plot. I wasn't thrilled with many of the 'ninja techniques', some of which seems comical and ridiculous. The story ends in deep tragedy. There was a deep current of tragedy and emotion throughout. All in all, Basilisk was a decent show, though not near the top of my list. A good rental when you burn out of your favorite anime.
  • The violent super-sexualized story of two rival ninja clans. Broken out of their state of peace at the behest of the shogun. They fight to the death to be the one clan at the goverments disposal. To complicate this battle the future leaders of the clan

The violent super-sexualized story of two rival ninja clans. Broken out of their state of peace at the behest of the shogun. They fight to the death to be the one clan at the goverments disposal. To complicate this battle the future leaders of the clans are in love with each other. I'm so glad I didn't dismiss this show as juvenile sex and violence in the skin of a real show. It was violent and had plenty of so called fan service but it was a real story based on the works of shakespere. The ending was a perfect non-typical one that fit the story perfectly and all the characters you could love or hate none wasted here. I suggest to anyone to watch this anime it's certainly worth the time.
  • i am very picky of what anime that i will watch. i will watch the last chapter over and over again 10 is only for the last chapter not in all.

the basilisk like Rurouni Kenshin but less episodes. who like Rurouni Kenshin will like this . for this is not one of my favorite. i will not view this for a while if i do. lim change to non. i like sword fighting and romance in all but to me this story really did not have a story line. 2 families one tries to kill the other the story is only 24 chapters to me this is a mini series to me it should not to be 24 chapter story it may to be a movie if that. i was disappointed in this anime and rurouni kenshin so far. i been watching anime about 11 yrs now . i seen bad anime before but not like this. p.s (sorry for grammier) the last chapter was great 2 lovers die in each other arms
  • I think this show could make me cry if i really wanted to... its a great fighting show but a sad love story too. I'm onto the last volume already- I love it though it is depressing when the people die... well i'd give this show two-thousand thumbs up...

I really hope they continue it- even though they most likely won't- but the show is about two ninja clans- the Iga and the Kouga- Oboro is from the Iga and Gennouske is from the Kouga- they are to be married- and unless you want spoilers then i won't tell more. Well the no fighting pact breaks and they start to fight (the two clans) both Oboro and Gennouske don't want to so try to make peace- good luck is all i ahve to say. This is by far one of my fave animes!
  • One of the most heartbreaking anime I've seen.

Basilisk isn't original, it based off Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. What makes it different is how the creators of the show did. They added a different twists to the story, the animation was amazing, the action scenes were great, the music was stunning. Now I've seen the entire series and the ending is truly tragic. It's a great Show that is one of the best anime I've seen, not quiet the top ten but still a great show.

Now I've run out of stuff to say. You know some times I wish the site master would lower the word count from 100 to 75. Ok I'm done.
  • I really like this anime.

I really enjoy that it is uncut on IFC. I like the blood and the storyline about a **** love and there is also a long history of love and hate. I started liking the leading male character once i saw his powers at first I just thought he was a useless character but now I think he is very cool. Now i own there side instead of the girls side. But i also want them to get together but i'll just have to see wat will happen then.
  • Everything I like is from Fundimation now a days

Fundi is doing great shows & games like Samuria 7, Mr. Meaty, Yoshi Inland, Yoshi Inland DS, Gunslinger Girl, Diddy Kong Racing DS, Fruit Basket, Sly Cooper, & even Sonic & the Sliver Ring. Basilisk is another one of my favorite anime by far, it's even better than "Bleach" it self. IFC should do more great anime like "Samuria 7" & Great Games like "Yoshi Inland"
  • Awesome It takes up where ninja scroll left off

When i came across Basilisk i was amazed with the story. The anime looks and plays like ninja scroll. The two are pararell to one and another. Ninja Scroll is based on true events between fueding Ninja Clans. Basilisk is a love story about two lovers one from iga clan and the other from the koga clan. As each clan recieves a scroll with a hit list. To put it short its a plan by the shogunate to eliminate each clan by killing each other off. What i like about basilisk is the supernatural powers each ninja possess. It reminds of ninja scroll in that aspect. Basilisk is worth checking out. IF you a fan of Ninja scroll then you will like Basilisk.
  • It's a pretty cool anime show.

Basilisk is absolutely awesome! Well not awesome awesome, but you get the picture. The show is fairly interesting and very great tha the show followed the "Kouga Ninja Scrolls" manga details VERY closely. Based on true events, 10 elite ninjas battle it out after the peace between them is destroyed. The ninjas of the Iga and Kouga clan are pretty interesting, but I find Gennosuke and Oboro's power to be a useless. They are both the most deadliest attacks of the clan, but it makes me feel like that they're kind of weak with such attacks. But i know they aren't weak as Basilisk continues to progress.

But the best thing about the show is the hardcore action!