Bates Motel

Monday 10:00 PM on A&E Premiered Mar 18, 2013 Between Seasons

dhaworth

Bates Motel Fan Reviews (27)

• YES YES YES

Every Tuesday I say that, that is until the season finale of this AWESOME SHOW. THE ACTING THE DRAMA, AND NORMA!!!!!!!
  • Captures the viewers

Its different, and we love it. Every episode just keeps us guessing. My hubby and i have got really intrigued with the show and cant wait until the next episode comes out. The main characters, norma, norman the sheriff etc are fantastic in capture their roles which i believe captures the viewers. Well done to you all and please keep them coming.
  • Awesome!!!!

When I first heard about this show I passed on it. I thought a series dedicated to the early life of Norman Bates and his weird relationship with his Mother would be dull. I was completely wrong. I binge watched the first season and was hooked pretty quickly. Vera Farmiga is brilliant in this role! She deserves an Emmy award! The dynamic between the damaged Norma Bates and Norman is so intriguing and their emotionally abusive relationship is fascinating. Now that the Breaking Bad freight train is over, I hope this show starts getting more recognition!
  • Great show

This show is brilliant, love the writing and all the actors are doing an amazing job.

At the end of every episodes I'm absolutely creeped out and I come back for more.

The only shame is that the first season has just 10 episodes, I'm starting number eight right now.

• Brilliant

Loving it so far!!! Can't wait for the next episode.
  • hooked on that '' bait ''

a really really good show , can't wait for the second season .
  • On tv in the UK?

This program, looks like it has a lot of potential, but will it shown on tv in the UK?
  • Fantastic

This show is fantastic. No complaints at all.
  • High Quality a Fatal Flaw?

When I saw the promo for 'Bates Motel' I was immediately intrigued but knew I wouldn't have time to watch it as it aired. I found some free time and just finished watching season 1 and have found a new phenomena in television, high quality taking away from the overall appeal.

A few episodes in, I knew this show was doing a very good job at telling the Bates story, yet I found myself much less engaged than I would have expected. A few more episodes in, and it was more of the same. It wasn't until the 8th episode that I was able to put my finger on the problem.

Vera Farmiga as Norma and Freddie Highmore as Norman are nothing short of spectacular in their portrayal. Two high quality performances in one show is usually as much as one could ask for, but Nicola Peltz and Oliva Cooke as Bradley and Emma also do an exceptional job at conveying little intricacies in their character.

Emma is a little more cliche as the dorky unpopular girl with a crush but the subtleties from Olivia Cooke blur the lines between the annoying girl, the underdog you want to get the boy and the innocent girl you want to run for her life. Similarly, popular girl Bradly traditionally would have nothing to do with the weird new kid, but like Emma said, "She beautiful, popular and she's nice so you can't even hate her". This single quote I think sums up my issue with 'Bates Motel'.

Norman is a sociopath, a bright and honest kid, a victim and a predator and Freddie Highmore is SO good at turning on a dime as well as slowly fading from one to the other to the point where you're not quite sure when the transition happened. The exact same is true of Norma. She's a control freak, a survivor, a loving protector and equally abusive mother.

The problem, I don't know what to feel about these characters. Everybody's a victim, everybody's a hero and everybody's a villain. And unlike other shows where the anti hero has somebody worse to put them in perspective, that's not the case here. One second you think that Norman is the victim just trying to do right while living under the thumb of a crazy mother and the next is a mother just trying to survive and protect a son who clearly has some very serious issues.

I never thought I ever would have said this, but the acting and writing in this show is so good that, for me, it's taken away from the greater effect.
  • Surprisingly good!

The show is quite good after hearing that a TV show is being made based on the movie & book I was suspicious at first. But it really surprised me positively, the actors are well chosen. Even Freddie Highmore with his cute looking face is perfect for the role of the psycho because you don't expect a Psycho behind such a cute face.

Can't wait for Season 2!
  • Great show,awesome actors

by far ,this is one of the best shows I have ever writing with great performance--can't wait really

1000000000% recommended
  • the first season was TOOOOOO short

i was a huge fan of Psycho and Hitchcock's movies

from the very first episode, i expected a lot from this new show and it didn't disappoint me

can't wait to see the next season

loved it
  • Sorry, NOT good enough.....

Sorry, but 10 episodes is not good enough to satisfy me for one season...

There have been some great shows out lately, but not so great as to have me looking at the time for when a show is on. Most others I can watch sometime later, off the DVR, but I have to watch this as soon as it is available.

I love Psycho women. I've dated my fair share. Vera Farmiga is AMAZING in her role as Norma Bates. I do not recognize her from anything in the past, but WOW!!! She is the women I usually date, but shouldn't. She puts everything into that role. Her mannerism. Her voice inflections. Her acting. She is simply amazing.

Max Thieriot, Freddie Highmore and Nestor Carbonell are equally great in their roles. Whoever cast those four, and whoever is writing for them all deserve gold stars on their foreheads because it works so darn well.

Fantastic show. I can't get enough. And can't wait for more.

Seriously, I CAN'T wait. Get moving on the new episodes and double up on the count :)

Thanks for this fantastically designed, scripted and acted show!

• all episodes

Love this wait 4 next year!!
  • Just started watching This show Yesterday

I started watching this show yesterday at first i was scared because Norman Bates the Deranged Psycho serial killer but the show is pretty cool he hasn't even started killing yet and it's interesting the show is basically my favorite drama show ever will this and The Game but one step at a time the show caught me it was just so interesting about the show hopefully it comes back for another season and I really believe Norma Bates is crazier than Norman she creates scenes that make me go like This Bitch Crazy but great show I can't argue about anything so 10!
  • Wow! Norma & Carrie would be great Buddies!

Norma reminds me of Carrie so much, they're both awesome actresses. Pop Quiz: Who am I talking about?

I luv this show, it's especially cool that it's filmed close by. Going to see their house & motel on Sunday, wish they were still shooting, I'll have to go back again when they are, it's supposed to be creepy at night, lol.
  • Two thumbs up!!!!

Love this show!!! Definately interesting to see how the character Norman Bates grew up and became what he is known as today!!! The cast is this series is awesome and hopefully a season 2 will happen!!
  • A++++

It is the best series I've ever seen. Its well written! Great Cast! It has you biting your nails and bouncing your leg(s) up and I look forward to it every week, it is a must see! I hope the series goes on and on.
  • Aaahhhh.. Bates Motel !!!

What can i say, 8 weeks ago I picked Bates Motel, just because i had nothing else to watch at that time. Probably because of the Norman (Freddie Highmore from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and Norma(Vera Farmiga from The Orphan). I loved them as actors. But WoW what an amazing show it turned out to be. Best thing We get to see it every week !! No wait for weeks for new episode. I love the mood or atmosphere created in the show. Its really mysterious and i like seeing cold whether of White Pine Bay. Each character of the show is lovable. I mean Norman, Norma, Dylan specially his transformation from bad kid to Mamma 's good kid, Emma, she is cute, the way she speaks, just love it, Shelby etc. I'm so happy it has been picked up for another season. I'll be looking forward to it. I love how creepy Norman sometime is. I hate to say but I love seeing Norma when she goes really helpless. Her acting in those situations are really fine as helpless mother. A lot to say for BATES MOTEL !!
  • I could watch this forever!

This is the best show that's been on TV for a long time. It has everything!. I compliment the writers, they have taken a famous Alfred Hitchcock movie and made it into a thriller. Very in genius. Please keep this show on TV, I look forward to watching it every Monday night. My favorite show on TV right now. I give this show the top score!!!
  • love this show

love this show!

but it needs to open its motel?!

when the hell is it open for :D

I hope the serie's is going to that,they can go on(if its good)as long they wanted to.

im realy hope the series will not end with norman killing a women in the motel.

please do this in season one,it could be a mind break he is having,and do that once in a while build it up.

• This show gives me the creeps

But not because it's creepy... Norma is PISSING me off! The character is very well played. I've live most of my childhood with this kind of wreck of a mother (but i don't sneak on women in the shower with a kitchen knife) and every stupid decisions she makes, every mood swings she has... It brings me back to my younger years.

But unfortunately, the show seems to be(come) "The Goonies in Psycho-town"... Will it keep its teenage storyline (almost smallvillesque) or will it grow out of it and get darker?
  • I LOVE IT!

I started watching this on In Demand 2 nights ago. I think it's very entertaining. There are many twists and turns and I am always trying to guess what is going to happen LOVE THIS SERIES!
  • 2BlackGeeks - Bates Motel First Impressions

Topics include my understanding/analysis of Norma Bates, how the single mother/child relationship can become overly co-dependent and open to instances of shared psychosis, and how people need to come at Bates Motel with NO INFLUENCE from the classic film it's based on. Vera is phenomenal actress who is bringing to life a truly complicated character. American Horror Story proved that you could do horror with CLASS and HIGH ARTISTIC value beyond measure Bates Motel you have no excuses.
  • More Keegan Please

I gotta get more of Keegan Connor Tracy. She plays the school teacher. She is a very special actress. I think she is known to add some of herself to the roles she plays. I will continue watching this show because of her. I hope not all the episodes are like the pilot. I hope they do not kill someone in each episode.
  • DYING FOR MORE!

I suggest anybody mature enough to watch this. It's so f-ing awesome that I nearly peed myself last night due to all the suspense. This show is neck-to-neck with "The Walking Dead", but it should be rated A+ right off the bat. CATCH UP NOW!!!!!!!
  • good pilot

hope it gets better than this