Batman Forums

ABC (ended 1968)

Batgirl: What made her so popular?

Why was Batgirl so popular?

beowulf579

[1]Jun 3, 2011
    • level: 59

I've always loved Batgirl since she came to the tv screen. But what was her appeal? There have been other heroines in comics, tv and movies...but there was something about Batgirl? Or was it all the doing of Miss Yvonne Craig?

I don't know...but she has became one of the icons of the DC world that has went beyond the confines of this show or the comics. What do you think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gislef

[2]Jun 3, 2011
    • level: 102
    That's kind of begging the question. I wouldn't consider her that iconic. Wonder Woman and Supergirl seem to be far more popular, and consistently used. "Batgirl" seems to be more of an interchangeable ID over the years. Arguably Barbara Gordon has become more iconic in our 21st century technological environment as Oracle than she ever was as Batgirl. And a more interesting character as well.

I'd say the character beyond the TV show is "iconic," if she is iconic, because she's a female version of the iconic Batman.

As for the TV Batgirl's appeal... *shrug* while there were other reasons for the show's cancellation after three years, Ms. Craig's appeal wasn't sufficient to overcome them. The show didn't need a third hero, particularly in the half-hour 3rd season format. I think she's popular for the same reason Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman is: can kick butt (bringing in female audience members), tight costume, attractive woman, often ends up in submissive situations that means she needs a man to help her (keeping the males).

If you compare the 60s TV Batgirl to iconic characters of the period like Wonder Woman and Emma Peel, I'd dismiss Batgirl as a very distant third.
    Edited on 06/03/2011 1:40pm

beowulf579

[3]Jun 7, 2011
    Oh, no doubt Wonder Woman carries more popularity. As far as Supergirl, probably the same as Batgirl. One could say her popularity is due more to Superman than just herself. You did that with Batgirl.

Also, they killed off Supergirl and kept Batgirl around. Might mean they cared for her a little more.

There was suppsoe to be a fouth season of Batman, but that got scrapped when all the sets got trashed inbetween negotiations.

I will give you that compared to others at the same time she might not be the top fan draw. But in the long haul, Miss Craig's version has lasted. Even better than Miss Peel. I say that because most ppl under the age of 30 would know Miss Craig's Batgirl but would probably think Miss Peel is just a good looking woman in a catsuit.

ChipsTheButler

[4]Jun 25, 2011
    • level: 9
    I liked how she dressed like a bat.

Cassandra_Elise

[6]Sep 9, 2011
    • level: 14

Gislef wrote:
    That's kind of begging the question. I wouldn't consider her that iconic. Wonder Woman and Supergirl seem to be far more popular, and consistently used. "Batgirl" seems to be more of an interchangeable ID over the years. Arguably Barbara Gordon has become more iconic in our 21st century technological environment as Oracle than she ever was as Batgirl. And a more interesting character as well. I'd say the character beyond the TV show is "iconic," if she is iconic, because she's a female version of the iconic Batman. As for the TV Batgirl's appeal... *shrug* while there were other reasons for the show's cancellation after three years, Ms. Craig's appeal wasn't sufficient to overcome them. The show didn't need a third hero, particularly in the half-hour 3rd season format. I think she's popular for the same reason Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman is: can kick butt (bringing in female audience members), tight costume, attractive woman, often ends up in submissive situations that means she needs a man to help her (keeping the males). If you compare the 60s TV Batgirl to iconic characters of the period like Wonder Woman and Emma Peel, I'd dismiss Batgirl as a very distant third.

The way I understand it, Batman was cancelled not because it was unpopular, but because it was too popular. All the bigwigs of Batman wanted more money for their hot little show, and back then, that was unheard of. Nowadays, if a show's doing well commercially and has a steady fanbase, the network execs will clamor to give everybody a raise.

As for Batgirl's status compared to Emma Peel... if you're dismissing Batgirl because she got captured a lot, you've got to dismiss Emma Peel as well. I'm the biggest Avengers fan and absolutely love Mrs. Peel, but despite her being an "emancipated and capable woman" she got herself captured. All. the. time. Plus, let's not forget that Batman and Robin, the two men of the show, were always kidnapped and tied up by the end of first-parter. On Batman, being captured was not a sign of sexism or ineptitude. It was just the way the formula worked. LOL

ChipsTheButler

[7]Feb 10, 2012
    Robin getting tied up all the time was because he was into light bondage.

Fekul_the_Baby

[8]Feb 27, 2012
    • level: 15
    Barbara Gordon has a mind to rival Bruce's own, depending on she's handled. Being the daughter of a police commissioner, it's no surprise, perhaps. She has a scientific bent , some knowledge of forensics, and is a top-notch computer hacker. As Oracle she could probably walk again if she wished with some electronic assistance, like a battlesuit, but she (and the writers) would consider that cheating.

ChipsTheButler

[9]Mar 11, 2012
    Batman shaves with a batarang, they're that sharp.

beowulf579

[10]Jul 23, 2012
    Fekul_the_Baby wrote:
    Barbara Gordon has a mind to rival Bruce's own, depending on she's handled. Being the daughter of a police commissioner, it's no surprise, perhaps. She has a scientific bent , some knowledge of forensics, and is a top-notch computer hacker. As Oracle she could probably walk again if she wished with some electronic assistance, like a battlesuit, but she (and the writers) would consider that cheating.

She is walking again in the comics.

Doc-Baker

[11]Oct 19, 2012
    • level: 1

Obviously, it was her gorgeous body and face.

ChipsTheButler

[12]Oct 21, 2012
    The batmobile uses aviation fuel.

thundercat2000

[13]Jul 15, 2013
    • level: 17

Her looks but she was smart too.