ABC (ended 1968)

Batman Fan Reviews (88)

A toys collection from the classic Batman 1966 TV show:

• He took it over and that's it?

He worked hard to take this show over and then after he gets doesn't improve on it any?
  • This Series Needs To Come Back In Some Form Or Another

If DC Comics can produce a Batman 1966 comic book that is loyal and faithful to the vintage TV series starring Burt Ward and Adam West, there should be a modern TV adaptation as well, although Adam West and Burt Ward are now obviously long in the teeth to wear the leotards of the Caped Crusaders. How's this for a switch--Have two women in the roles, with the female Batman wearing a voice transducer? Besides, I always did think women look better in tights than men, who look flat out ridiculous.
  • unforgettable show

The Batman 1960's was one of the shows I really lived for. I remember when I was a kid; I used to watch this after school. This show is somewhat has sentimental value for me because compared to the darker comic version, it turned out that to be lighthearted one with full of fun and action. It's really a great show. I'm definitely a fan of this show until now and I searched for websites that sells this TV series. Well, luckily, I got a decent copy at . I received a very nice quality DVDs. I'm gonna let my grandson watch this for surely, he'll love it too! A musical, bubbly, funny and action packed in one show!
  • Perhaps the world's most cheesy TV show.

This amazingly camp show was fantastic due to one reason, it never took itself seriously. To be honest I'd rather this then any of the animated Batman series. The cast was A+ stuff. (Burgess Meredith as The Penguin, Adam West as Batman, Cesar Romero as The Joker...) Due to it's cheesy sense of humour it is a massive cult classic alongside such TV shows as Get Smart and The Twilight Zone. Despite the fact that the movie based upon it, which is also classic and is my favourite Batman film after Tim Burton's first one, had a DVD release, the TV series itself hasn't. To my mind this probably makes it one of the most wanted TV series for DVD treatment that has yet to get it. Someday we will hopefully see some DVDs being made...
  • A Classic......Pure & True!

There is no doubt about it: When it comes to Batman, nobody did it better than Adam West. He will always be for me the one and only Batman. And show is simply a classic, bar none! =D
  • Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson work undercover in Gotham City as the Caped Crusaders to keep the city safe from villians.

This show was very campy. However, the campiness made it funny. Robin's exclamations were somewhat corny. It was unrealistic that no matter how many times the "Villian of the Week" tried to kill Batman and Robin that they were never sentenced to long sentences for attempted murder.

The show used angled shots of the villian "headquarters" to symbolize the fact they were crooked. A little bit of imaginative planning there. Of all the villians, Cat Woman was probably the most interesting. She was part villian and part seductress. She never did succeed in seducing Batman though.

The addition of Batgirl in the last season added some spice to the show for a bit. Though it failed to raise the ratings enough to save the show.

At least the TV version of Batman was done in a way that kids could watch it, unlike the motion picture features that came out much later.
  • probably the best TV yet

I feel like tv reached its zenith with the advent of this classic show. Never before had acting, cimeatography, great writing and fantastic torytelling been so seamlessly integrated for network TV. I see this show as the zeitgeist for all the great action adventure shows of the modern day. burn notice 24 CSI all these moedern shows have batman to thank. this is the one that established the formula and made action fun and interesting and might i add thrilling on the television. A great show to watch with your kids or your parents. tv will never be as good as the original batman!
  • Cult Classic

This show was probably my first show I ever watched regularly as a child, and immediately became a favorite. The Bright colors, wild antics, and showy villains were definitely a hook for me. I remember liking the episodes with the Joker as Cesar Romero was a true actor and his performance in this series I thought to be truly one of a kind. As I seen the show in reruns throughout the years I still liked it though I realized the camp and humor in the show more. I have always been a Batman fan from the orig comics, the newer movies, to the animated series, But I always still love the 1966 series the best simply due to the fun factors; colors, camp, humor, over the top villains = Cult Classic.
  • One of the all time greats.

This is the show that I can remember the best from my childhood. I can remember stopping everyhting at 4pm and running home to watch the classic reruns. I can also remember hoping that the batgirl would come speeding across the screen at the opening scean, that was REALLY cool when that happened. Now that I'm all grown up, hehe in my 40's, I will be picking this up on DVD soon. I have found the DVD set online for a not to bad price. I have also found several of them to download. I'm hoping the DVD's will have some kinds of extras. Just grabbed the shows off of the net, anyone else notice that almost all of the shows titles ryme?? That is too weird. Been watching these since the 70's and just now noticed it. It is great to have them all together to watch. I only have season one now, but will be getting the others soon. I also picked up the movie, awsomely campy... I feel 12 years old again when I watch them. I also picked up the Batman Beyond all seasons on dvd, that is one great show also. I will keep working till I have all the shows on DVD, Batman and robin, batman dark night... all the animated ones. If you want to chat about batman, or anything else, check me out at See ya!!
  • Superheroes Batman and Robin (and Batgirl in season three) encounter a colorful collection of villains while fighting crime in Gotham City.

TV's ultimate camp classic series finds just the right note to make the "Batman" world as much fun as it ever could be. Purist fans of the dark mood of the original source material, whose ideal rendition is likely better represented by either the 1989 Michael Keaton film or the more recent Christian Bale version "Batman Begins," commonly express betrayal at the sixties show's going instead for good-natured comedy. My feeling is that as long as the actual characters of the show are consistent within themselves, the series on its own hits the exact level of entertainment it is aiming for, and you really have to be a real killjoy to actually dislike this series. For me, Adam West is forever the real Bruce Wayne and Batman, a performance that is designed to be eternally underrated. Just looking at the parade of actors that have worn the cowl for the more recent movie versions, when the costume became the entirety of the Batman characater, does anyone else come close to matching West's joining of the two sides of the character's personality? The romantic potential between West's Batman and Julie Newmar's Catwoman was electric. Yvonne Craig's Batgirl was my television crush of the sixties. The traps that the heroes and heroine would find themselves in, as a cliffhanger leading to the second paired episode, bordered on eroticism. And the casting of the villains was often perfect. Particular among them was Frank Gorshin's Riddler, the only of the Batvillains to get an Emmy nod, and his contribution to the show's success cannot be overstated. Also, Victor Buono's King Tut, the best villain created for the show specifically, was always entertaining. Cesar Romero's Joker, Burgess Meredith's Penguin, Roddy McDowall's Bookworm and Vincent Price's Egghead filled out the best among the large criminal cast. One of the most unfortunate things in TV series history is that the show was canceled after the third season, even after CBS optioned to take over the show for another run from ABC, because the Batcave had been dismantled. I would love to be tuning in at the same Battime to the same Batchannel even today.
  • Very funny and entertaining

The old Batman series was not without it's humor and suspense. It had everything in it from Homicidal HarleQuinn's(Joker) to Fem Fetals(Catwoman) and great fight scenes! It also had some far fetched elements to it, such as Perfectly stocked utility belts, Universal drug antidote pills for every ocasion, and incredibly desperate death traps. But hey, thats the 60's for ya! I love this show because even though the comic books make Batman and Robin seem like Dark, Mysterious figures at times, The TV show kept them at a fun, light hearted level, that more people could identify with. In the comics their stories were so sad and tragic, you could always tell they were fictional, but with the show, they make them seem like real people! They make them to a point where you have to keep reminding yourself, they arn't real! all in all, great show, I'd give it a 10!
  • Still My Favorite Show!

Loved it as a child because it helped me fight bullys at school and it was a really fun show.

Saw West in person at a car show, he wasn't just playing he really thought he was Batman...

Which is good enough for me!

I'm still waiting for the big wigs of Fox and Warner to give the public Batman on DVD!

It will probably be a long while for that to happen.
  • I know it was cheesy but that's what made it so funny.

I wasn't born yet when this show was orginally on, but I watched this show all the time in re-runs. The cheesiness was hilarious, and the action was great. You had actors like Adam West, and Frank Gorshin, Burgess Meredith, even Milton Berle (sp) even though most of those people are dead now (all but Adam West) they were big names back then, I have seen movies with some of them and said crap, I didn't know they wer in this, or even had a movie career. I guess I knew Milton Berle, but not Frank Gorshin & Burgess Meredith. This show was great, cheesy catch phrases, cartoon like violence, and they had something for every occasion in the utility belt. I think the movies were a shock with how serious they were, compared to the show. I think they were made after the comics, I don't know I have never read them, and don't really read comics. This show just had everything comedy, action, drama, they should bring it back on TV Land or something.
  • It is about the guy and that boy dressed in tights, fighting crime.

This show is hilarious! Since it is currently the year 2007, it is always fun to watch old shows. They are funny! With all of our modern technology, we can make amazing shows and movies, and the old shows aren't all special effects and stuff. One time, I actually saw a person walk out through the back of the set! Yeah, and the funny thing is, that in most of the old shows, all the superheroes are wearing tights! Like Superman, Batman, Robin, and lots of others. Yeah, it sure is fun to watch the old shows. WHOA! I am totally off topic! But Batman rules. Today, or in the sixties!
  • Batman ! Batman !

Based on the characters of the comic books of the 1930's, Batman is the story of Bruce Wayne, a millioanre celebrity by day and a masked crusader, fighting against evil at night. Although the central character was Batman, what most viewers liked to watch were the famous villains: The Riddler, The Penguin, Poison Ivy, The Jocker, Catwoman, Two Face, etc. Each of them had an interesting story behind them: they all were ordinary people who became evil due to some unfortunate accidents in their lives.

Batman also had the help of Robin, the boy wonder and Batwoman to fight evil whenever the people of Gotham city called him for help.

What was most entertaining about the TV series was it was made for all ages and there was a lot of humor in the script. Also, the sound effects during fight scenes were also flashed on the screen (just as in comic books) such as: Biff ! Thud ! Bang ! etc. The movies which were later made by Hollywood were certainly no match for the TV series.
  • its just way to classic

first of all im not sure how anyone could give it anything less than a 10 it is a friggen classic!!!its cheesey but so good!!!i have three copies of the movie!!!adam west should put that suit on once again!!!roll up some socks call burt ward and do a reunion show!!!please for all of us die hard batman fans!!!!
  • POW

this show is great. i have the movie on DVD but is it possible to get the episodes on DVD? if it is that would be a rockin times 3. i like this show its really corny its dum how catwoman always changes though shes always different. super show.

• The show depicted the humor that I loved in the 60\'s which had dry sense of humor to it. Other movies during that era were \"The Pink Panther\" with Peter Sellers. Adam West and Burt Ward were perfect as the Dynamic Duo. Put This on DVD please!

I feel with sitcoms today, people don\'t really have to think. We need instant gratification, and we have people thinking for us and controlling us in the television world. We need to get back to TV shows that created good value and a witty sense of humor.

Batman and Robin of the 60\'s was truly a classic. Used the media, actors and current issues as part their show. This show was for the family was for the whole family....hard to find this day and age!

Put This on DVD please!!!!
  • Based on Bob Kane's comic book series from DC Comics, this is a campy version of Batman who is hardly the Dark Knight Detective in this series.

Holy Classic TV, Batman! I'm one of the rare Batfans who love the comic book series with its dark and brooding tone as well as this campy series that's played for laughs. Batman is one of the 100 greatest TV shows ever! Adam West and Burt Ward are perfect as the campy version of the Dynamic Duo. And the actors who portrayed the Rogues' Gallery of Villains was superb. I also think Yvonne Craig who joined the cast in the third season may have been my first crush (I was six years old at the time). This show needs to be released on DVD! Soon!
  • corny yet classic

This show was on before I was even born, but I watched the re-runs and it was great, the action signs were a little corny but not bad for a show of the 60s, Burt Ward and Adam West were great as where the villans. I had some of them on tape but I don't know what happened to them. Anyway a great show.
  • Corny Capers with the Dynamic Duo!

I remember watching re-runs of this when I was a child during my Summer holidays and it was this that got me hooked on Batman, but I feel the 60's series is not really much more than a joke despite this series being an undeniable classic. It was also thanks to this series I dressed up as The Joker for a fancy dress party.
  • god this show is funny

this isnt the kind of show you can write 50 words about. its simply moronically entertaining in its crappiness. the networked produced 2 episodes of this show a week, as is visible with the hilarious result.
    "no joker, your sneeze powder has no effect on me. luckily i took my anti allergy pill."
  • Nostalgia galore!

I remember watching this show as a kid and not only enjoying it thoroughly, but also taking it 100 percent seriously! As a youngster the satire was lost on me, I really thought Batman and the Boy Wonder risked dying at the end of every damn episode.

What makes Batman different from any other TV-show is the sets, the baddies, Batman's one-liners and so on. Batman presents an idealistic version of reality, and as much as I like Tim Burton's grim and dark feature-length visions, it's a good thing that there exists a sun in this Gotham City.

Watching the show today, it has different qualities than when I watched it when I was younger. The fights are hilarious, and I also laugh at the dialogue and almost everything else too since it's so campy and corny. I still enjoy it and think it's one of the best shows ever made. And I'm glad swedish commercial digital-tv brought it back if only for this summer (?). As a kid I never saw the episodes with Bat-girl, I'm not even sure they were aired. Unfortunately even for Batman this addition gets too much even for Batman. This soup did not need another chef and it's sad to see that yet another show, a true classic like this one, went steeply downhill right before the end.
  • classic

Although there is another batman series ( The Batman ) And Batman Beyond was batman in the future. But this one (Batman TAS) Is by far the best out of these three. Good thing it was in my childhood because i used to every morning wake up to watch it also the superman TAS too.
  • When I was a kid I loved watching the Batman series I think they should bring it back on any channel. I grew up in the Bronx N.Y. & I remembercoming home & watching Batman, Please bring it back.

My review of Batman is it was very exciting to watch I always came back to see if Batman&Robin the Boy Wonder got out of the traps the villians always had for them. I enjoyed watching Batman for many years & I miss it right now, please bring it back.
  • BAM! BIFF! POW!! It doesn't get any better than this!!

This show was classic TV at it's best. Pure escapism. Isn't that what it's all about? To forget the daily grind and just enjoy? That's what Batman was for me. I was only four years old when Batman first aired. The original airing is not what I remember the most. My fondest memory of this series is it's syndication run. Running home from school as fast as I could to watch Gilligan's Island and Batman. It did not get any better than that.
    Batman was ahead of its time. How many shows today have the biggest names in Hollywood clamoring to be on the show? Yes, there are shows that Hollywood stars want to be on today, but not to the same degree. Every episode had a new HUGE Hollywood talent guest starring... Vincent Price, Milton Berle, Otto Preminger, Anne Baxter, Victor Buono, Roddy McDowall, Art Carney, and the list goes on and on. This show is the essence of what classic television is all about.
  • Classic Television

The campy adventures of Batman and Robin are still amusing, even today. It's not as serious, but get over it. It was the 60s! The enemys are hilarious and classic. This show is a real classic television show. Adam West was the oringinal Batman (before he became washed up.) TV Land should bring back the reruns of this show.
  • This truly is a classic and it's one of my favorite TV shows. Riddle me this, riddle me that, when will Warner Brothers put this classic in a season DVD set? Time will tell, but please don't frown, the answer to this question isn't far in reach.

I have the 1966 movie on DVD and have always enjoyed this classic series when it's been on TV. It was on TVLand a year or so ago, and I loved every episode that aired. This is my favorite super hero/comic book TV show. Besides Batman & Robin, I really enjoyed the creative villains that stared on the show. There were so many great ones, it’s hard just to name one.

Batmania ran wild in the 60's and I wish I could've been a part of it.

The only downfall of this show, like many, is it's not on DVD in seasons yet, and I'm kind of surprised. The animated series is on DVD, but a cult classic comic book TV show isn't?

Maybe some day all of us 'Bat Fanatics' will get our wish, but in the meantime we can always wish and hope for the best.
  • What's criminal is that all legal parties haven't gotten together to release this masterpiece on DVD! It would be The Holy Grail of TV DVD Season Sets.

Yes!!! This was the show, baby!!! (And, in a great number of ways, it still is! :) )

I owned toy replicas of The Batmobile and The Batboat manufactured by Corgi Toys!!! I was a very avid, devoted viewer of it (both TV and movie versions!) in The Big Easy on W.G.N.O. TV Channel 26 in the 1970s and on W.N.O.L. TV Channel 38 in the 1980s! A Sunday Morning ritual in both eras.

That was before, in 1989, The Family Channel claimed the rights to air Batman (coinciding with the new release from Warner Bros.), with--*choke!*--precious minutes edited from the episodes to accommodate tight commercial airtime space!!! There have been subequent runs, on F/X, The Sci-Fi Channel, and TV Land, but there've been no improvements there, either! Each channel has butchered it in his own inimitable way.

Now that TV Land's rights to Batman have expired, it's Battime it found a Batchannel which'll do it justice---i.e. show it digitally remastered and uncut with all original scenes--- meaning Encore Action. Currently, it's giving said treatment to The Green Hornet and The Time Tunnel, both produced by 20th Century-Fox TV (like Batman) and both originally ratings disasters in A.B.C. primetime in 1966-67 (unlike Batman). Encore Action, if you're reading this...please, give us Batfans a break! 16+ years of choking down serving after serving after serving after serving after serving of butchered Batman repeats is enough!

And what would be an even bigger Batbreak would be for all involved legal parties---D.C. Comics, ABC-TV, 20th Century-Fox TV and the William Dozier estate---to strike a deal and release all 2 1/2 seasons on DVD! The crucial addition to any TV DVD collection!
< 1 2 3