Batman

ABC (ended 1968)

Gislef

Batman Fan Reviews (88)

• He took it over and that's it?

He worked hard to take this show over and then after he gets doesn't improve on it any?
  • This Series Needs To Come Back In Some Form Or Another

If DC Comics can produce a Batman 1966 comic book that is loyal and faithful to the vintage TV series starring Burt Ward and Adam West, there should be a modern TV adaptation as well, although Adam West and Burt Ward are now obviously long in the teeth to wear the leotards of the Caped Crusaders. How's this for a switch--Have two women in the roles, with the female Batman wearing a voice transducer? Besides, I always did think women look better in tights than men, who look flat out ridiculous.
  • unforgettable show

The Batman 1960's was one of the shows I really lived for. I remember when I was a kid; I used to watch this after school. This show is somewhat has sentimental value for me because compared to the darker comic version, it turned out that to be lighthearted one with full of fun and action. It's really a great show. I'm definitely a fan of this show until now and I searched for websites that sells this TV series. Well, luckily, I got a decent copy at . I received a very nice quality DVDs. I'm gonna let my grandson watch this for surely, he'll love it too! A musical, bubbly, funny and action packed in one show!
  • This show could be flawless but,

The only issues with this show is. 1 The repetitiveness when Robin and Batman go to the Police headquarters. I can understand that it would be pointless and tiresome to create entrances to the headquarters.2 Also the season 3 are not that interesting. And 3 why does each man villain has a Girlfriend? But everything else is awesome. 95/100 Awesome.
  • A Villain Summary

The number of episodes or episode sets that a Guest Star appeared as a villain. Anne Bancroft appeared as multiple villains. Catwoman, Riddler and Mr. Freeze were played by multiple actors. Shared episodes or episode sets were counted as a full appearance.

10 Burgess Meredith (The Penguin)
    10 Cesar Romero (The Joker)
    6 Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)
    5 Frank Gorshin (The Riddler)
    5 Victor Buono (King Tut)
    3 Vincent Price (Egghead)
    2 Anne Baxter (Olga)
    2 Carolyn Jones (Marsha, Queen of Diamonds)
    2 Cliff Robertson (Shame)
    2 David Wayne (The Mad Hatter)
    2 Eartha Kitt (Catwoman)
    2 Milton Berle (Louie the Lilac)
    1 Anne Baxter (Zelda)
    1 Art Carney (The Archer)
    1 Barbara Rush (Nora Clavicle)
    1 Eli Wallach (Mr. Freeze)
    1 George Sanders (Mr. Freeze)
    1 Ida Lupino (Dr. Cassandra)
    1 Joan Collins (The Siren)
    1 John Astin (The Riddler)
    1 Liberace (Chandell)
    1 Malachi Throne (False-Face)
    1 Maurice Evans (The Puzzler)
    1 Otto Preminger (Mr. Freeze)
    1 Roddy McDowall (The Bookworm)
    1 Rudy Vallee (Lord Marmaduke Fogg)
    1 Shelley Winters (Ma Parker)
    1 Tallulah Bankhead (Black Widow)
    1 Van Johnson (The Minstrel)
    1 Van Williams (Green Hornet)
    1 Walter Slezak (The Clock King)
    1 Zsa Zsa Gabor (Minerva)
  • The dinamic duo hits the TV screen fighting criminals from their headquartes aka. the batcave

Bang! Pow! Kapaw!

I love you Batman! no not really! I do love the Batgirl though. That's the kind of emotional reaction this show produces on me and I suppose on many other fans. This show had it all, super heroes with super weapons and super vehicles, villains that were funny and evil at the same time, strange camera angles and deep dialogues!

All the episodes are amazing, delivering action 100% all the time, with punches flying here and there, bombs going off and the bat-mobile showing off all of its cool tricks.

Watch it and you wont be dissapointed, just don't pay attention to all the pastel colors.
  • Perhaps the world's most cheesy TV show.

This amazingly camp show was fantastic due to one reason, it never took itself seriously. To be honest I'd rather this then any of the animated Batman series. The cast was A+ stuff. (Burgess Meredith as The Penguin, Adam West as Batman, Cesar Romero as The Joker...) Due to it's cheesy sense of humour it is a massive cult classic alongside such TV shows as Get Smart and The Twilight Zone. Despite the fact that the movie based upon it, which is also classic and is my favourite Batman film after Tim Burton's first one, had a DVD release, the TV series itself hasn't. To my mind this probably makes it one of the most wanted TV series for DVD treatment that has yet to get it. Someday we will hopefully see some DVDs being made...
  • A Classic......Pure & True!

There is no doubt about it: When it comes to Batman, nobody did it better than Adam West. He will always be for me the one and only Batman. And show is simply a classic, bar none! =D
  • As cool as YOU make it

If you approach it from the standpoint that the main so

Of the producers was to be crazy and corny, this show is one of the best there can be. Don't take the action too seriously and you'll love it. Third season they overestimated what they could do with the camp - that's why it failed. I've tried to explain more here: http://www.amazon.com/do/B005YNPHCO
  • To The Batcave!

We all know how campy this show is. This version of Batman is nothing like today's Batman. It's fun to watch this old Batman show. Adam West, Burt Ward, Frank Gorshin, Cesar Romero, Burgess Meredith, and every actor involved with the show put on brilliant performances. Most of the episodes are just outright bizarre or unrealistic, but this makes for great humor and entertainment. I have to admit I did not like the third season of the show because of many reasons. Here are a few things that made me not like the third season: I hate Batgirl, the villains were not much of a threat, the writing was mainly terrible, and there was way too much emphasis on comedy and cheesiness for my taste. Overall though I love the show. The first two seasons were amazing. If you have not seen this show then check it out. It's good fun.
  • Great show

When I was a kid, me and my sisters watched Batman. It was awesome to see the cliffhangers that Batman and Robin were put in, but Batman and Robin got out of every sticky situation in the concolusion, Batman and Robin always won the second bat fight with the criminals.
  • This has to be the dumbest show ever produced outside of a mental hospital!

0.5
    This has to be the worst Batman series ever made! It was poorly written and badly acted, this show was goofy, and completely pointless and just plain reeked of stupidity that would make a pre-school student look like a college professor!

The fighting scenes were cheesy and the special effects stupid and embarrassing, the storylines were uninspired and ignorant or just plain sloppy! The only good thing about this show was the two women who played Catwoman, other than that this show is stupid and a complete waste of time and as entertaining as watching grass grow on a hotday.
  • Camp it up

Even after all this years and the high campiness of the show it still has an appeal. It was a comical and light-heart adaptation on the dark knight which followed the same 2 episode fomula of each week: heroes get trapped in a cliffhanger, they beat the villian in the rematch the following episode. the familiar villains of Joker, Riddler and Penguin were there but it was a treat to see some of the more bizzare villains like Egghead, King Tut, Book worm and the Mad Hatter. This show was meant to be light hearted but it wont be considered as big a joke as the 1997 Batman and Robin film
  • Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson work undercover in Gotham City as the Caped Crusaders to keep the city safe from villians.

This show was very campy. However, the campiness made it funny. Robin's exclamations were somewhat corny. It was unrealistic that no matter how many times the "Villian of the Week" tried to kill Batman and Robin that they were never sentenced to long sentences for attempted murder.

The show used angled shots of the villian "headquarters" to symbolize the fact they were crooked. A little bit of imaginative planning there. Of all the villians, Cat Woman was probably the most interesting. She was part villian and part seductress. She never did succeed in seducing Batman though.

The addition of Batgirl in the last season added some spice to the show for a bit. Though it failed to raise the ratings enough to save the show.

At least the TV version of Batman was done in a way that kids could watch it, unlike the motion picture features that came out much later.
  • A campy style of batman and robin's adventures.

It not the greatest batman show ever and there better one out there to watch like BTAS. Still it enjoyable to watch at times. I can understand if you're a comic book fan why you won't like. Still if you don't like the darker version or just need a few laughs for a change you can have fun watching this show. Ha, because of this show the riddler is now one of the major villains in batman today. I think before this show he had like two appearances in the comics. While in the third season it total jump the shark the first two aren't too bad. Plus it really kick to see all the traps they do for climax scenes.
  • probably the best TV yet

I feel like tv reached its zenith with the advent of this classic show. Never before had acting, cimeatography, great writing and fantastic torytelling been so seamlessly integrated for network TV. I see this show as the zeitgeist for all the great action adventure shows of the modern day. burn notice 24 CSI all these moedern shows have batman to thank. this is the one that established the formula and made action fun and interesting and might i add thrilling on the television. A great show to watch with your kids or your parents. tv will never be as good as the original batman!
  • POW! BIFF! THWACK!, Tim Burton's BATMAN is for people who take comic books seriously. The Adam West BATMAN TV series and movie is for the rest of us.

Batman is the role West was born to play. He delivers his lines with a seriousness and self-importance perhaps matched only by Steven Seagal--and Seagal isn't trying to be funny.

I can understand how comic-book fans might dislike this movie. It does, after all, treat the whole Batman concept with jokey disrespect (though really, as another reviewer pointed out, it's an over-the-top parody of the old serials). However, for those of us who see the inherent silliness in the notion of a "millionaire playboy" dressing up in a bat suit to fight "supervillains," it's fun to watch a movie that sees it as well.

Perhaps the most amusing aspect of this movie is its off-the-wall view of the United Nations; the particular ambassadors are treated as something more than bureaucrats, apparatchiks, and political cronies who could be replaced in five minutes with any of ten thousand equally capable (or incapable) people.
  • Fun for the whole family

Pow! Wham! Whoosh! Can you believe we still remember those hokey sound effect balloons? And why shouldn't we? Batman was a cutting edge TV series that emulated the comic book genre that bears its name. All the villains, all the weapons, all the disguises and all the "technology" of the day are found in this memorable show.

Each episode was narrated (much like a comic book) and gave the viewer a sense of being a part of the action. Well cast, the actors and actresses that appeared on Batman are etched in our minds. Who could forget Cesar Romero as the Joker, Frank Gorshin as the Riddler, Burgess Meredith as the Penguin, and Julie Newmar as Catwoman? To this day when we hear the Batman theme song we visualize Adam West and Burt Ward blazing through Gotham City in the Batmobile. Next time you need a little nostalgia, plug in an episode of Batman. You won't be disappointed. Until the next review, same bat-time, same bat-channel.
  • Bruce Wayne and his ward Dic Grayson protect their city from villains as Batman and Robin/

This is a pretty nice show. But it is sort of campy and corny because it was from the old times. Every episode is predictable. Batman and Robin talk to Commissioner about the latest villain, who they battle and find themselves in a death trap. They then use some very complicated plan to escape. Then after "intense action" they defeat the villain. This was probably considered the best show ever in the 1960's, but its kind of corny now. Even though it is a litle corny, I like it. Its nice to see a simple show sometimes and it never fails to amuse me with some of the over dramatic and goofy parts that were considered epic 40 years ago. Its sort if nice sometimes to see classic Batman and Robin fighting crime. I also kind of like the colorful costumes and props and sometimes I enjoy it for the old-time action. So this is a pretty nice show, but not my favorite Batman series.
  • The biggest block of cheese ever created for the screen and some of the most entertaining TV ever made. Once you get into the swing of this utterly bizarre ride into madness its fantastic fun to watch.

This is pretty much nothing like any other screen Batman you're likely to have seen anywhere. Rather savvily, the creators of this series didn't try to make Batman more realistic for the small screen but instead drew in every bit of comic book style they could and the result is phenomenal.

Unintentionally surreal, this show is wacky, witty and wilfully bizarre. Like all the best shows, it doesn't take itself too seriusly and reaps the benefit in its tremendous style and character.

Like all shows, Batman has a few episodes that should never have been but they can be forgiven in the light of the truely wonderful ones.
  • Cult Classic

This show was probably my first show I ever watched regularly as a child, and immediately became a favorite. The Bright colors, wild antics, and showy villains were definitely a hook for me. I remember liking the episodes with the Joker as Cesar Romero was a true actor and his performance in this series I thought to be truly one of a kind. As I seen the show in reruns throughout the years I still liked it though I realized the camp and humor in the show more. I have always been a Batman fan from the orig comics, the newer movies, to the animated series, But I always still love the 1966 series the best simply due to the fun factors; colors, camp, humor, over the top villains = Cult Classic.
  • One of the all time greats.

This is the show that I can remember the best from my childhood. I can remember stopping everyhting at 4pm and running home to watch the classic reruns. I can also remember hoping that the batgirl would come speeding across the screen at the opening scean, that was REALLY cool when that happened. Now that I'm all grown up, hehe in my 40's, I will be picking this up on DVD soon. I have found the DVD set online for a not to bad price. I have also found several of them to download. I'm hoping the DVD's will have some kinds of extras. Just grabbed the shows off of the net, anyone else notice that almost all of the shows titles ryme?? That is too weird. Been watching these since the 70's and just now noticed it. It is great to have them all together to watch. I only have season one now, but will be getting the others soon. I also picked up the movie, awsomely campy... I feel 12 years old again when I watch them. I also picked up the Batman Beyond all seasons on dvd, that is one great show also. I will keep working till I have all the shows on DVD, Batman and robin, batman dark night... all the animated ones. If you want to chat about batman, or anything else, check me out at www.myspace.com/paradave911. See ya!!
  • Holy Bat Guano Batman. I have to admit I watched this show as a young person and I found it entertaining. Still it wasn't the best of shows during that time.

First of all I need to comment on the fact that this show was new when I first saw it. I remember the hype and the commercials of the Bat Mobile zooming down the highway. That's what got me, the Bat Mobile, I was fortunate to see the actual car at a carshow back then and yes, I built the model. Now on to the show. Adam west was less than believable and the ponch made it hard to see him as Batman (I was a huge Batman comic book reader), Burt Ward was a much better Robin and of course if it wasn't for the talents of Burgess Merideth (Penquin), Frank Gorshin (Riddler), Julie Newmar (Catwoman, yum) and Cesar Romero (Joker) the show would have been pretty boring. We can't forget Madge Blake (Aunt Harriet) and Alan Napier (Alfred) witout whom the dynamic duo couldn't have accomplished so much. OK so I remember the show and I was a fan of the time, but the best part of the show to me was absolutely the Bat Mobile.
  • Superheroes Batman and Robin (and Batgirl in season three) encounter a colorful collection of villains while fighting crime in Gotham City.

TV's ultimate camp classic series finds just the right note to make the "Batman" world as much fun as it ever could be. Purist fans of the dark mood of the original source material, whose ideal rendition is likely better represented by either the 1989 Michael Keaton film or the more recent Christian Bale version "Batman Begins," commonly express betrayal at the sixties show's going instead for good-natured comedy. My feeling is that as long as the actual characters of the show are consistent within themselves, the series on its own hits the exact level of entertainment it is aiming for, and you really have to be a real killjoy to actually dislike this series. For me, Adam West is forever the real Bruce Wayne and Batman, a performance that is designed to be eternally underrated. Just looking at the parade of actors that have worn the cowl for the more recent movie versions, when the costume became the entirety of the Batman characater, does anyone else come close to matching West's joining of the two sides of the character's personality? The romantic potential between West's Batman and Julie Newmar's Catwoman was electric. Yvonne Craig's Batgirl was my television crush of the sixties. The traps that the heroes and heroine would find themselves in, as a cliffhanger leading to the second paired episode, bordered on eroticism. And the casting of the villains was often perfect. Particular among them was Frank Gorshin's Riddler, the only of the Batvillains to get an Emmy nod, and his contribution to the show's success cannot be overstated. Also, Victor Buono's King Tut, the best villain created for the show specifically, was always entertaining. Cesar Romero's Joker, Burgess Meredith's Penguin, Roddy McDowall's Bookworm and Vincent Price's Egghead filled out the best among the large criminal cast. One of the most unfortunate things in TV series history is that the show was canceled after the third season, even after CBS optioned to take over the show for another run from ABC, because the Batcave had been dismantled. I would love to be tuning in at the same Battime to the same Batchannel even today.
  • Holy Moly Batman!

This show was a classic. Adam West and Burt Ward were great as the Dynamic Duo. Many top flight guest stars added to the fun. My favorite was always Ceasar Romero as the Joker. The show was campy, but had a certain charm that is lacking in today's superhero adaptations. The cliffhangers that ended most shows with our heroes in deep trouble, always made me yearn for more. I couldn't wait until the next episode to see how Batman and the Boy Wonder escaped certain death! Also, my first boyhood crush was the sultry femme fatale Catwoman. Can't wait for this to show up on DVD!
  • A true popcorn fest!

Batman,the series,is a true popcorn fest for the lovers of 60's style television. Innocent and yet,totally funny to the max. I found this series,almost by accident,when writing a paper on classic television and have been a devotee ever since! The ham and cheese production never fails to bring me to tears of laughter. Adam West and Burt Ward played the "dynamic duo" with such hilarious aplomb that the term"overacting" doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. The appearance of so many beloved stars of yesteryear as the weekly villan was also a delicious treat. Burgess Meredith as The Penguin topped them all! His comedic timing was nigh on to perfect. The Batmobile was also a star in it's own right. To this very day,what I would give to get behind the wheel of that vehicle,just once!
  • Da-da da-da da-da da-da, Batman! How can I ever forget the thrill I felt as a 12 year-old parked in front of my TV set for the twice-weekly dose of the adventures of the Caped Crusader that I absolutely lived for. Yeah, it was campy, but boy was it fun!

I believe it's time for a re-examination of this groundbreaking, but much-maligned series. Batman was meant to be good, silly fun- no more, no less. If you come to this program expecting the Dark Knight of our current cynical time, you will probably be highly disappointed.

This was a different era: the mid 60's. JFK had been assassinated, so our long period of national innocence had been wounded, but not yet dealt the killing blows of the RFK and MLK murders. The Summer of Love had not yet happened, but the seeds of counterculture had been planted and were sprouting up all over the place. Batman, with its bright, cotton-candy set decoration color scheme and pre-psychedelic sensibilities, presaged the carefree attitude and relaxed cultural mores that were to follow. The series’ often-derided irreverent take on Gotham City’s iconic Caped Crusader was a reflection of the general rejection of Establishment values that was going on in the country. Tongue firmly in cheek, this show broadly winked at the audience. And the cast was obviously was in on the joke.

Watching the show now, in reruns, I can appreciate even more the amazing characterization created by Adam West. This was uncharted territory, this spoofing of a superhero, especially an all-business one like Batman. But West left an indelible mark on pop culture with his fearless immersion into the role, impeccable reading, and crack timing. The supporting cast members were also impressive, and the guest stars were to die for. Frank Gorshin, Burgess Meredith, Caesar Romero, Eartha Kitt (sorry, Julie Newmar, she was the only Catwoman for me), and numerous others. Watching these seasoned pros gleefully sink their teeth into their roles was one of the highlights of the entire series for me.

Well, that’s it for my little review. Will I write another one? Will anyone even read this one? Stay tuned next week- same Bat Time, same Bat Station!
  • Nice one!

A wise man once said "The 60s Batman movie is the greatest ever." I should know, because I was that wise man.

OK, it might not be the greatest movie, but it is one of the awesomest movies ever. Only in 'Batman' could intelligent writers come up with some of the most illogical situations and cheesiest dialog committed to screen.

A Yacht disappears in Gotham Harbour ("How can a yacht simply disappear... unless, it was never really there!"). On board was a 'superdehydrator', a machine that can extract the moisture from any living being, and in of the most logical displays of logic ever, Batman and friends logically come to the (correct) conclusion that the culprits are the combined forces of Penguin, Joker, the Riddler and Catwoman, apparently intent on world domination.

'Batman is scene-after-scene of pure brilliance - great situations, and the greatest dialog ever. 'Batman' is very funny, but only if you appreciate and enjoy the style, otherwise you will hate it. But only those who lack a sense of awesomeness would not like it, and who is really so un-awesome, that they can't even find the captioned fights just that little bit amusing?

8/10 - Awesome, simply awesome
  • Very funny and entertaining

The old Batman series was not without it's humor and suspense. It had everything in it from Homicidal HarleQuinn's(Joker) to Fem Fetals(Catwoman) and great fight scenes! It also had some far fetched elements to it, such as Perfectly stocked utility belts, Universal drug antidote pills for every ocasion, and incredibly desperate death traps. But hey, thats the 60's for ya! I love this show because even though the comic books make Batman and Robin seem like Dark, Mysterious figures at times, The TV show kept them at a fun, light hearted level, that more people could identify with. In the comics their stories were so sad and tragic, you could always tell they were fictional, but with the show, they make them seem like real people! They make them to a point where you have to keep reminding yourself, they arn't real! all in all, great show, I'd give it a 10!
  • Still My Favorite Show!

Loved it as a child because it helped me fight bullys at school and it was a really fun show.

Saw West in person at a car show, he wasn't just playing he really thought he was Batman...

Which is good enough for me!

I'm still waiting for the big wigs of Fox and Warner to give the public Batman on DVD!

It will probably be a long while for that to happen.
< 1 2 3