Batman

The Great Escape (1)

Aired Wednesday 12:00 AM Feb 01, 1968 on ABC

• Now just a comedy

They weren't even trying any more at this stage. The show that was a unique mixture of fun for kids and comedy for adults got tired of its comic book roots and just became a comedy. This may have freed the writers and gave them a chance to concentrate on the jokes. One of the lamest villains of the series gets one of the funniest episodes. Nearly every line of dialogue is a joke, and we find humour of every kind, from very black (Shame jokes about putting bullets in someone's head) to absurd. A line like 'They've got Batgirl and we got Fanny' is quite risque, if you think about it. The crime fighters are at their most inept and the actors can enjoy themselves playing 'out of character'. Think of Robin under the influence of the fear gas. The villains have a number of associates, but unlike in other episodes where these stooges just get a witty name at best, the hoodlums have a character of their own, and each one is funny. Think of Fred the Mexican with a British accent. And to make it completely a joy for lovers of comedy, the writers steal from the best. When Batman says 'I never met a person I didn't like, Frontier Fanny, but in this case I may have to make an exception' Marx Brothers fans recognise a line Groucho once said:: 'I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.