Batman Beyond Forums

The WB (ended 2001)

Batman Beyond:Return of the Joker

saiyanman5215

[21]Jul 18, 2006
    • level: 15

I'm pretty sure the writers intended the Robin in Titans to be Dick Grayson for a couple of reasons:

- in the episode where the little Larry guy is there and going thru Robin's head, the guy's actual name is Dick Grayson spelled backwards, possibly a nod to Dick

- the much debated Robin-Starfire angle.  If the show's writers were really sticking to the Wolfman/Perez run in the comics, this would have meant, the Robin in the show was Dick, and not Tim

- the costume was closer to Dick's color scheme in  Batman:TAS, another possible hint

- season 2 premiere when Starfire is catapulted to a possible future, she's saved from that Chronos character by Nightwing who reply to her inquiry about "Robin?" by saying  "Havent used that name in a long time"  Sounds like our boy Dick to me

As for Titans not being part of the DCAU, I dont the writers would have goofed and let Batman mention them on purpose.  How they fit in is the only question I have, unless the producers and writers have said specifically otherwise somewhere.  If I missed anything, plz let me know.  Thanks for listening.............

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

saiyanman5215

[22]Jul 18, 2006
    Andy639_basic wrote:
    Wait, wait, wait, a minute, Woodpecker.

Titans' Robin is NOT Dick Grayson anymore than it is Tim. Titans Robin is a brand new amalgam Robin that possesses traits of ALL the Robins.

Hmmm, you might be on to something with that amalgam theory....that could offer a very thin explanation to the goof of Batman mentioning them....there was a reason behind that and I refuse to believe that it was just used to explain Robin's absence from that particular episode

qbanpete79

[23]Jul 20, 2006
    • level: 7

ok here goes

first the teen titan angle.

The creators never ever mentioned who Robin is. All clues and hits point to Dick Grayson.

Jason Todd has never been in the DCAU however the Tim Drake origin is close to the Jason Todd origin.

Static Shocked asked Batman "where is Robin" in a static shock episode (cant remember the name right now)

he mentions hes with the titans. Now the static shock robin is the same as the DCAU robin which means Tim Drake.  However since Teen Titans is not DCAU this incarnation of the teen titans can be different then the anime style that we all know and may or may not love.

NOW for the Return of the Joker story.

That takes place later on after the future episode (epilogue) of justice league i believe it to be season 5 correct me if im wrong however its the story of amanda walker giving you the origin of terry. Where we find out Terry is essentially Bruce waynes son.

We know this because Bruce gets stabbed by the joker which leaves him with a limp. The new Batsuit or Batman beyond suit hides the limp.

So this take place after his leaving the justice league which would make Tim roughly in his late teens. However seeing as how this was done before Justice League  so we can only assume this.

Joker  died in the physical state. However his mental state was downloaded into a chip that was hidden in Tim Drake. At the end of  Return of the Joker.  The joker officially dies leaving Harley Quinn alive since she is the mother of dee and dee.

The time line for the batman beyond portion can really take place during any portion of the batman beyond storyline.  Either before the end of the series or before its end or doing the future portion of The justice league episode  epilogue were we see Batman with the future justice league.

any comments

saiyanman5215

[24]Aug 18, 2006
    qbanpete79 wrote:

ok here goes

first the teen titan angle.

The creators never ever mentioned who Robin is. All clues and hits point to Dick Grayson.

Jason Todd has never been in the DCAU however the Tim Drake origin is close to the Jason Todd origin.

Static Shocked asked Batman "where is Robin" in a static shock episode (cant remember the name right now)

he mentions hes with the titans. Now the static shock robin is the same as the DCAU robin which means Tim Drake.  However since Teen Titans is not DCAU this incarnation of the teen titans can be different then the anime style that we all know and may or may not love.

NOW for the Return of the Joker story.

That takes place later on after the future episode (epilogue) of justice league i believe it to be season 5 correct me if im wrong however its the story of amanda walker giving you the origin of terry. Where we find out Terry is essentially Bruce waynes son.

We know this because Bruce gets stabbed by the joker which leaves him with a limp. The new Batsuit or Batman beyond suit hides the limp.

So this take place after his leaving the justice league which would make Tim roughly in his late teens. However seeing as how this was done before Justice League  so we can only assume this.

Joker  died in the physical state. However his mental state was downloaded into a chip that was hidden in Tim Drake. At the end of  Return of the Joker.  The joker officially dies leaving Harley Quinn alive since she is the mother of dee and dee.

The time line for the batman beyond portion can really take place during any portion of the batman beyond storyline.  Either before the end of the series or before its end or doing the future portion of The justice league episode  epilogue were we see Batman with the future justice league.

any comments

I think the Robin query is something that I hope the creators have addressed somewhere in a interview we could all read/watch or something.  It's not a big bugaboo to me personally but I dont think the writers would slip up and mention a Titans reference in a Static/Batman team-up if the shows weren't meant to be related in some way (unless it's just a inside joke or a cover for the voice actor not being available at the time). 

As far as the Joker's fate, I think Return of the Joker does a pretty good job of explaining what happens to allow him to return all spry and such in the movie.  I dont there should be much debate on that.  What usually happens there cause the production time of each part of the story is that some stuff my be overlooked and other stuff might get left out if they dont go back in subsequent airing and try to add it back in. 

Batfreak99

[25]Sep 9, 2006
    • level: 2
    "Teen Titans" was supposed to be a part of the DCAU when they made the Static episode where Batman mentions Robin is with the Titans. They decided to make "Teen Titans" separate from the DCAU after the episode was made. As for Robin being a part of the Titans in the DCAU. Tim/Robin easily could've been a part-time member or even full-time. Batman spent a lot of time with the Justice League so Robin had to have something to do. Just because we never saw the Titans in the DCAU doesn't mean they don't exist.

By the time of the flashback in ROTJ perhaps Batman has left the Justice League and Robin is back working alongside him full-time again (hence Batman forbidding Tim to be Robin again after his ordeal). Tim looks pretty small for his age so he could easily be 16 or 17 by the time of ROTJ's flashback. Now for the Joker.

His death takes place after JL because Batman doesn't have a limp at all during JL and, as we know, Bruce had a limp all through Batman Beyond and had to use a special Bat-suit to make up for his disability in the first episode. So, even though we don't see Joker at all in JLU, he's still alive and his death takes place soon after the final episode of JLU.

That's as near as I can make it out.

ezeroe

[26]Sep 9, 2006

I have noticed something funny

Harley did not want to have children herself which is why the whole Tim Drake/Joker debacle took place

Yet we see her GRAND DAUGHTERS!!!

Which means she had at least one son or daughter!!!

Guess she wasnt that into the Joker after all........................

Batfreak99

[27]Sep 10, 2006
    ezeroe wrote:

Harley did not want to have children herself which is why the whole Tim Drake/Joker debacle took place

LOL!!!!!!

She always was a fickle super villain.

Andy639_basic

[28]Sep 12, 2006
    • level: 11
    Eh, for what it's worth, my theory is that:

After the events of JL season two but before the JL goes Unlimited, the events of the ROTJ flashback happen. Tim Drake is made insane, recovers a year later, and is forbidden to be Robin anymore by Batman

In response, he sets out on his own and goes to Jump City, angry at Batman as seen in the Titans Episode 'Go!', forms the Titans, and works with them for several years. 'Hard As Nails' happens during this time, when Batman tells Static Shock that Robin is with the Titans.

Then the Near Apocalypse of 09 happens mentioned in "Out of the Past", and Bruce and Robin have a final falling out. Tim quits being Robin entirely, never wanting to see the costume again, and becomes a communications expert. (His having a nack for such things would explain how he designed the Titan-Coms as see in "Go!" on such short notice.)
    Edited on 09/12/2006 10:30am

LadyInque

[29]Nov 6, 2008
    • level: 24
    The Return Of The Joker is awsome!!

MajLorne

[30]Nov 8, 2008
    • level: 21
    LuvFry wrote:
    This movie rocked!! I was SO glad that Mark Hamill was back as the Joker, he's the only Joker in my book! Oh, and for anyone scratching their heads saying, "Return of the Joker" who? I suggest you see the unedited one. The one released by the family company was cheesy, get the one that the writers intended!!!
    Well not too family-cheesy, as the 'off camera' scene when the joker is electrocuted was pretty dark especially him screaming. IMO that had more impact than just getting impaled/shot.
    Edited on 11/08/2008 5:30pm

jwgrlrrajn

[31]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 23
    MajLorne wrote:
    LuvFry wrote:
    This movie rocked!! I was SO glad that Mark Hamill was back as the Joker, he's the only Joker in my book! Oh, and for anyone scratching their heads saying, "Return of the Joker" who? I suggest you see the unedited one. The one released by the family company was cheesy, get the one that the writers intended!!!
    Well not too family-cheesy, as the 'off camera' scene when the joker is electrocuted was pretty dark especially him screaming. IMO that had more impact than just getting impaled/shot.

I agree about the electrocution being darker than him getting shot. And I will admit that I saw the edited version before I even knew there was an uncut version, and I thought it rocked, but even after seeing the uncut version, I feel safe to say that they're both pretty good, but the uncut version's better.

MajLorne

[32]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 21
    Oh no doubt about that, I would take the uncut version over the edited one any day of the week.

cra2ywolf

[33]Mar 2, 2009
    One of the best animated movies to come from the DCAU.

seto1

[34]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 16
    True that i was the only thing that made me forget that batwoman mess omg i cant see it now.

kero42

[35]Jun 20, 2009
    • level: 9
    I agree, the part were he electricutes Robin still makes me cringe.

goldslayer1

[36]Jun 26, 2009
    Woodpecker1940 wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Woodpecker1940 wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Return of the Joker probably happen much later than JLU.When ROTJ came out JLU wasn't out.The Teen Titans series is a part of the DCAU I'm sure Drake did join group of Titans in DCAU.I think the events of ROTJ happened when Drake was 16 or possibly 18.

Teen Titans is NOT part of the DCAU! Batman didn't say Tim joined the Titans. He might have just been working on a special case with them because he did rejoin Batman in "Future Shock". Judging from Tim's height I'd say he was about 14-16 when the Joker incident happened.

Calm down I meant isn't part of the DCAU Jeez. I would think you got what I meant when I said I'm sure Drake joined a group of Titans in the DCAU.I don't like when someone yells at me when you can just post something calm and polite.Why the hell would Robin have to be with the Titans 24/7 maybe like Dick did he came back and helped him out when he was in town.

My bad, I just meant to put the big 'not' in there but after that the caps would not go away. Robin (Dick Grayson) would be with the Titans because he's living on his own.

teen titanms is part of dc cause robin is and robin from teen titans is dick grayson cause there this part in titans where he's in the future and he's dressed up as nightwing so yes he is dick grayson and tim drake was the small robin. also tim drake was the joker in batman beyond because joker did that thing in the past when he kidnapped tim. and thy didn't even show dick grayson in the beyond series so that got me kinda mad also batgirl is the one that dates dick grayson. even tought in titans he dated start fire.

sporkman5353

[37]Jul 7, 2009
    • level: 18
    ezeroe wrote:

Well, that was a twisted way of making what they did to Tim seem right in Harleys eyes. Anyways, she could easily have adopted too, or most likely gotten over the Joker.

srebak

[38]Jan 25, 2011
    • level: 18

I think its sad that after all Tim's work as Robin, he gets caught, then tortured, then scarred for life, then suddenly his career as Robin is over. He wasn't Robin in half the time Dick Grayson was.

Edited on 01/25/2011 6:47pm