Batman Beyond Forums

The WB (ended 2001)

Batman or Batman Beyond?

Ricza

[21]Jul 16, 2007
    • level: 3

Between just these two shows, I definitely prefer Batman: The Animated Series and even the highly underrated Gotham Knights. While Batman Beyond had the slicker animation, the original and Gotham Knights had more intriguing mysteries, more stylish atmosphere, and far superior villains.

BB also suffered from a bit of an identity crisis, as the first season gave us a solid story arc centered around corporate villain Derek Powers, but the second season felt like an attempt to ape the success of Buffy with individual stories centered around Terry's high school life, which proved ultimately much less interesting than anything in the first season.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Drew0313

[22]Aug 19, 2007
    • level: 12

Although Batman Beyond didn't surpass the greatness of the original Animated Series, on my vote, it certainly earned it's own grounds as a part of the Batman universe.

Kadodian

[23]Jan 14, 2008
    • level: 23
    I used to like Batman more but when I saw Batman beyond I liked it more.

ebayking90

[24]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 9
    Batman Beyond was the animators way of putting a futuristic spin on the series. I thought it was a decent show but, in my opinion nothing can top the original Batman series that aired on Fox.

DarthFreeza

[25]Jan 24, 2008

I've been looking through this thread and would say that Batman (Bruce Wayne) is winnning this so far with Batman (Terry McGinnis) about 4 votes away (5 when I'm done with this post). I have to say that I've only seen season one on veoh (nobody posted season 2 episodes yet) so I can only compare what I've seen so far.

I'd say Batman (Bruce Wayne) is always better. McGinnis was cool and all but I never actually liked the idea of a Batman Two. Eventually ThPortal and Sporkman convinced me to watch a few episodes and I had to say I miss-judged it. Even in saying that I must say that I like Batman (TAS and Gotham Knights) better. Bruce Wayne had touched my heart as a child. A normal man fighting crime with a few boomarangs and smoke screens. He always knew what to do. I've been hearing a few things about wanting to bring this show back but I want TAS or Gotham Knights (I don't care which design I just want the classic stories) to come back. Bruce never needed these Bat-Wing things that come out of Terry's costume or all of the high-tech weaponry. I think that Batman TAS & Gotham, Knight & every Batman storyline (movie, TV comic) is superior to Batman Beyond. Even The Batman. When I throw in all of the other aspects such as writing, animation, music, and dialog the results come out different but I was judging on how I enjoy seeing Bruce Wayne in any carnation running around fighting crime. I know some of you are drawn in by the high tech stuff and the new villains and it's OK to like BB but to think it is better than TAS has always repulsed me. BB was created from TAS and I hate people trying to say that TAS was worse. I'd give up ever having Batman Beyond made and even Batman Begins and The Batman just to bring back TAS [Rephrase: I'd give up every other Batman carnation (movie or TV) just to bring back TAS] ...

theportal

[26]Jan 24, 2008
    • level: 26
    I disagree about The Batman being better than Batman Beyond. Taking my favourites from each series, I like "Meltdown" and "Earth Mover" a lot more than "A Matter of Family" or "Seconds".

DarthFreeza

[27]Jan 27, 2008
    theportal wrote:
    I disagree about The Batman being better than Batman Beyond. Taking my favourites from each series, I like "Meltdown" and "Earth Mover" a lot more than "A Matter of Family" or "Seconds".
    Ok maybe I over exadurated there but still I think that TAS is light-years better than this and The Batman together.

FamilyGuyFan507

[28]Feb 2, 2008
    • level: 6
    theportal wrote:
    Batman. B:TAS is the best TV show ever.

I have to agree with Portal, the only episode of BB I find personally enjoyable is The Return of Joker because it was down right amazing, but if you watch BTAS its always amazing. Not to mention the 50s feeling BTAS gives you, its almost like a homing feel.

jwgrlrrajn

[29]Feb 4, 2008
    I like Batman Beyond better; but, there are a few things that could have been done better in my opinion.

1: They needed to have their core villians in more than three episodes apiece. (Blight was my favorite and he only got two!)

2: They needed to have more episodes.

3: They needed to have less episodes with Max.

4: They (IMO) should have had all the classic villians in one episode apiece. (space them out a little)

5: In the episode where Terry's suit gets damaged, they should have had him wear the original bat-suit.

6: (this one's just a nitpick) I would have liked to see gangs based off other classic villians; not just Joker.

jwgrlrrajn

[30]Feb 14, 2008
    I will say that after watching JLU, I like that version of Batman (the character) the best.

DarthFreeza

[31]Feb 18, 2008
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    I will say that after watching JLU, I like that version of Batman (the character) the best.
    The Justice League Batman seems most in character out of every DCAU. Too bad Bat Embargo prevented Batman villains which gave Batman less developement. And as I said before, I think Batman TAS and Bruce Wayne are superior in virtually every way unless you count socializing.

gamerboy190

[32]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 18
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    I like Batman Beyond better; but, there are a few things that could have been done better in my opinion.

1: They needed to have their core villians in more than three episodes apiece. (Blight was my favorite and he only got two!)

2: They needed to have more episodes.

3: They needed to have less episodes with Max.

4: They (IMO) should have had all the classic villians in one episode apiece. (space them out a little)

5: In the episode where Terry's suit gets damaged, they should have had him wear the original bat-suit.

6: (this one's just a nitpick) I would have liked to see gangs based off other classic villians; not just Joker.

I concur with you 4th and 5th point.

LeonMorado

[33]Feb 24, 2008
    • level: 19
    i'd say the OG is better, but srsly, bruce timm's whole continuity just kicks ass.

SuperMarioKoRn

[34]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 19
    Both.

-batmat-

[35]Mar 20, 2008
    • level: 22

jwgrlrrajn wrote:

It's Batman Beyond not bringing TAS to the future, with the Jokerz was enough, but it was a cool thing when by 2 seconds you see an old villain, like in Shriek a picture of the joker "Wanted" or in Dead's man chest or something, the ending with Bruce saying, "Let me tell you about a woman named Selina Kyle"

AxStarr

[36]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 15
    Personal preference:

1) Batman: Gotham Knights

2) Batman: The Animated Series

3) Batman Beyond

Don't let this fool you though (if it even does); I like them all a great deal

MajLorne

[37]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 21
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    The Justice League Batman seems most in character out of every DCAU. Too bad Bat Embargo prevented Batman villains which gave Batman less developement. And as I said before, I think Batman TAS and Bruce Wayne are superior in virtually every way unless you count socializing.
    Agreed, the whole embargo thing was stupid for all the wrong reasons. However, then again JL wasn't supposed to be about Batman anyway and more about the other DC characters so in a way it has its good and bad. The only bad is that the last season of JLU had only 13 episodes and half of the villains were frozen or 'killed' which was a total waste when we hardly got to know most of them. Of course the half that were frozen were ones not seen on Superman TAS and past episodes in JL.

_Sinbad_

[38]May 9, 2008
    • level: 4
    I would like it more if Terry had more of Bruce's personality, it would make the show so dark and cool

JLU51306

[39]May 17, 2008
    • level: 18
    Batman of course.

jwgrlrrajn

[40]May 22, 2008
    _Sinbad_ wrote:
    I would like it more if Terry had more of Bruce's personality, it would make the show so dark and cool

If Terry had Bruce's personality, even more people would complain about this series.

And for the record, seasons 2-3 were darker than B:TAS ever was.

At any rate, the two shows are good and I don't think it's right to compare the two when they are completley different shows. If you want to compare The Batman with B:TAS (or Spectacular Spider-Man with the 90's series), be my guest.