Batman Beyond Forums

The WB (ended 2001)

Did Batman Beyond go too far?

RandomAussie2

[1]Dec 9, 2010
    • level: 4

Does anyone else think that Batman Beyond went a little bit too far? I liked the creepiness between, but between Terry killing The Terrific Trio to the scene to a rather nasty scene in the butcher's it's hardly the same as the first animated series. Yes, the original animated series was adult at times, but it never did seem to go (I haven't seen all of the original series yet, this is judging off series one). And don't get me started on Return of the Joker: how the hell did that get released (the first time) with a PG rating?!!! (And I'm even more shocked that there's people out there who thought that was tame) I'm no Mary Whithouse, but while I'd easily let my nephew watched the original animated series, there's no way I'd ever let him watch Beyond. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first season and picking up season two and three via imort (Warner Brothers Australia having no plans to release volumes 2 and 3), but one has to wonder what Warner and Timm were thinking.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

zepherous35

[2]Dec 23, 2010
    • level: 26

I always liked it. I will admit the themes were a little bit too much for the intended audience. But, as for adding to the DCAU, I think it did a good job. As soon as one sees the opening theme, you can tell it is a much different show than the original Animated Series. It is easily darker and more mature; that is evident in the very first episode. I was older when I watched it as it aired, so that didn't really matter to me. I suppose for younger kids, it really depends on what they are privy to. My son has seen Darth Maul be cut in half with a lightsaber, Luke's hand cut off, and Anakin Skywalker burnt to a crisp after being caught on fire with lava. So, Batman Beyond isn't really that bad for him. Now, those instances are the really only thing he has seen of that nature. It is Star Wars, and it has to be watched to get the whole experience. With Batman Beyond being a animated series, I think that tones down the more mature parts. But, it really just depends on what you want the youngster to experience at whatever specific age.

RandomAussie2

[3]Jan 1, 2011
    • level: 4
    Oh no, you bad parent! Your kid is going to turn into a demented psycopath by re-enacting those oh so terrible violient fantasties! Heh, just kidding, I'm sure your kid will turn out fine. You have to admit though, Return of The Joker was a step waaay too far.

AxStarr

[4]May 17, 2011
    • level: 15

From what I've seen, it seems to be more harmful to repress a child in these situations. I watched Batman Beyond when I was young and I haven't lost my mind or anything of the sort because of it. Sure it got 'adult' at times, but, I think that makes a good cartoon. The child gets to watch a show they like, and, they also get to see that there is a darker side to the world. They get to see that, sometimes, there are no happy endings. That's a lesson that I believe should be learned sooner rather than later. Not to say it should be taken to heart to the point that the child has a morbid outlook on everything, but, it should definitely be made aware to them as being a potential possibility in life

That being said, my parting words will try to be of aid to you, RandomAussie2: Seasons 1 and 2 of Batman: The Animated Series should still be of good viewing content for you, but, in case it ever came up, I'm not so sure you'd want to go with Season 4 (The New Adventures/Gotham Knights). It can get a bit 'adult' there, too

Edited on 05/17/2011 10:14am

palatinius

[5]Aug 4, 2011
    • level: 14

If "too far" is a question of too dark or too adult, I would say no. The show remained a children's show for many reasons. Firstly, the way death was handled. Hardly anyone ever died and when they did it was shown more from the consequence end rather than the act of death itself. The Terrific Trios' deaths were an exception, but they weren't really fully human at this point and for some reason that makes it okay? Not sure about that one. The Return of the Joker was a bit more mature than the show, but you had to go out and get that: it wasn't aired on TV in its unrated form.

When I watch any U.S. TV, I am amazed at how immaturely many subjects are handled. Not just cartoons but live action shows as well. If you compare that to what HBO is airing, it is a world of difference. If you look at the Spawn cartoon, you could definitely say that was not for children. At the same time, what are the measurable harms of a child watching things like violence, sex, death, or other mature themes? All of that depends on how the child has been raised to receive these things.

Avearia

[6]Sep 14, 2011
    • level: 14

I personally think that in recent years, the censorship of violence and death in children's shows has gone a bit too far. Naturally you shouldn't show something traumatizing and scarring in something intended for little kids--but that means we can't adress more mature themes in cartoons other than 'friendship is awesome' and 'you can do anything you set your mind to'?

When I was eight I watched beauty and the beast, which by the way, may questionably be about stockholm syndrome. Today's kids are watching spongebob and fanboy and chum chum. It seems a little bizzarre to me.

So yes, while the brainwashing of Robin in Return of the Joker is very shocking compared to most cartoons shown these days, it shouldn't 'traumatize' kids like they were watching someone being skinned alive, or something. You wouldn't want to show it to your five-year-old of course, but it's not terrible for 10 year olds or something. And besides, give kids credit--their imaginations can lead to worse nightmares than things you see on TV censored cartoons.Wink

-batmat-

[7]Dec 6, 2011
    • level: 22
    RandomAussie2 wrote:
    And don't get me started on Return of the Joker: how the hell did that get released (the first time) with a PG rating?!!! (And I'm even more shocked that there's people out there who thought that was tame)

Return of The Joker has 2 versions, a PG one, that the violence been toned down and the one you might me reffering too, the original version, which actually has a PG-13 rating

MindWeaver15K

[8]Aug 28, 2012
    • level: 40

Some episodes were a little too dark, like for example teenagers Willie Watt (from Golem and Revenant) and Carter Wilson having murderous tendencies. However some were light and fluffy like "Terry's Friend Dates a Robot" and "The Eggbaby."

sacora9

[9]Jan 12, 2014
    • level: 7
    The show is dark. I will give you that. I have recently been watching the show with my mom and she is shocked about how dark it is. However, when it was originally coming out then were plenty of other shows which were noted for being violent. For example, Dragon Ball Z was far more violent in nature than Batman Beyond and went as far as destroying entire planets. As someone that watched these shows originally when I was around six I can tell you, they really didn't bother me. I liked the story of the shows and sometimes the impact of the deaths went over my head. The Return of the Joker was dark but I didn't feel that it was overdone however, I know many disagree with this especially considering the fact that the next Batman Beyond movie wasn't approved because of the dark nature of the first movie.