Batman Beyond Forums

The WB (ended 2001)

What's with all those Marvel allusions?

McRazor

[1]Feb 2, 2007
    • level: 13

Did anyone noticed that there are lot of allusions to Marvel's superheroes in this cartoon?

-In the "Heroes" the villains look very like the Fantastic Four (minus Human Torch)

-In "Golem" there was a geeky guy who after he got powers wanted to get even with the school bully (like Peter Parker aka Spider-Man)

-In "Dissapearing Inque" Bruce uses a power armor which he stopped using because of his sick heart - doesn't that reminding of Tony Stark aka Iron Man?

-In the movie "the Return of the Joker" Terry mentions that the Joker could be alive because he might have been criogenicaly frozen - like Captain America.

Weird isn't it? DC giving homages to his archenemy - Marvel

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

greengumballs

[2]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 6
    that's a good point i noticed it too but I just thought i was looking too much into it being kind more of a marvel person.

fru1fan

[3]Apr 1, 2007
    • level: 7

Did anyone noticed that there are lot of allusions to Marvel's superheroes in this cartoon?

-In the "Heroes" the villains look very like the Fantastic Four (minus Human Torch)      yes

-In "Golem" there was a geeky guy who after he got powers wanted to get even with the school bully (like Peter Parker aka Spider-Man)   to common of a plot

-In "Dissapearing Inque" Bruce uses a power armor which he stopped using because of his sick heart - doesn't that reminding of Tony Stark aka Iron Man?      Bruce is old what do you expect

-In the movie "the Return of the Joker" Terry mentions that the Joker could be alive because he might have been cryogenically frozen - like Captain America.    cryogenics is used a lot in the sci-fi fantasy worlds

Edited on 04/01/2007 1:47pm

faCt24

[4]Apr 3, 2007
    • level: 31

Besides the Fantastic Four allusion some of those allusions dont even make sense. Two barely similar things are put as allusions and it's just dum. It's like saying apples are an allusion to oranges.

2wingo

[5]Apr 4, 2007
    • level: 16
    McRazor wrote:

-In the "Heroes" the villains look very like the Fantastic Four (minus Human Torch)

-In "Golem" there was a geeky guy who after he got powers wanted to get even with the school bully (like Peter Parker aka Spider-Man)

-In "Dissapearing Inque" Bruce uses a power armor which he stopped using because of his sick heart - doesn't that reminding of Tony Stark aka Iron Man?

-In the movie "the Return of the Joker" Terry mentions that the Joker could be alive because he might have been criogenicaly frozen - like Captain America.

Probably because DC knows how much they stink and they're trying to improve by being more like Marvel.

theportal

[6]Apr 5, 2007
    • level: 26
    2wingo wrote:
    McRazor wrote:

Probably because DC knows how much they stink and they're trying to improve by being more like Marvel.

At least DC does the superior cartoons, even if Marvel does the better movies and comics.

InfernoLiger007

[7]Apr 5, 2007
    • level: 18
    theportal wrote:
    2wingo wrote:
    McRazor wrote:

At least DC does the superior cartoons, even if Marvel does the better movies and comics.

That's true.

I_Love_My_DVR

[8]Apr 7, 2007
    • level: 7
    McRazor wrote:

-In "Golem" there was a geeky guy who after he got powers wanted to get even with the school bully (like Peter Parker aka Spider-Man)

-In the movie "the Return of the Joker" Terry mentions that the Joker could be alive because he might have been criogenicaly frozen - like Captain America.

Weird isn't it? DC giving homages to his archenemy - Marvel

1: Obviously the Terrific Trio was a salute to the Fantastic Four.
    2: Too common, pushing it.
    3: Armor/Exosuits are too common, pushing it.
    4: General Science Fiction fare

Figgnuts

[9]Apr 22, 2007
    • level: 13

Batman Beyond, by it's nature, is kind of similar to the story of Spider-Man - a young teen is motivated to fight crime partially because of the death of his father figure.

As for the Golem example - these are two completely different things we're talking here. Peter Parker didn't use his powers to try and get back at the school bully - he used them to get money. I suppose you can use the movie as an example (even though he wasn't "getting back" at the bully then either) but Golem aired a good couple of years before the movie hit theatres.

And the "Terrific Trio" was a blatant and INTENTIONAL homage to the Fantastic Four.

Robot suits are not exclusive to Marvel.

Captain America wasn't cryogenically frozen - just frozen. And even then, that's also not exclusive to Marvel comics.

And say what you will, DC is doing a lot of things right when it comes to comics that Marvel simply isn't - it's never as simple as "One rules and one drools."

dregj

[10]Apr 23, 2007
    • level: 12
    There been a pant load of crap marvel movies blade 3
    spidey 2
    Ghost rider the hulk
    fantastic 4

batman begins was brilliant
    the new supes was okay

I dont think its as simple as dc suck marvel rules

has anyone seen that tv movie based on the justice league
    HAAA
    i nearly bust a gut
    oh boy here i go agian

captaindillo456

[11]May 31, 2007
    Does any1 here actually like the Marvel characters apart from F4 & Spidey, or maybe even X-men?

InspectorBatman

[12]Jun 6, 2007
    • level: 5

I'm going to be so hated for this

Firstly, so what if (and that is a big if) if the DC comics guys allude to Marvel sometimes? They're rivals. Making fun of each other is what they do. Plus they are comics. Kinda like brothers. I make fun of my siblings all the time. So if Batman Beyond made fun of the Fantastic Four or anyone else for that matter, I say all the power to them.

And second, the movies being made now are great, because we're veiwing them in context. Adam West's Batman movie was considered the best of the best back in the 60s, Burton's films are quintisennsial in the Batman continuty adding the allure of darkness back into things, and making the animated series possible I might add. I personally HATED Batman Begins. It was stupid to me. Taking things back, reinventing the charactor for a more realistic view was stupid in my opinion. I hated the tank, the fact that Ras Al Ghul was Batman's mentor, etc. About the only thing I liked was seeing Scarecrow and Jim Gordon (Who personally was the best real life Gordon I could ever think of). I'm not looking forward to the Dark Knight at all becasue I rather dislike this set of films. I am however looking foreward to Batman Begins 3 where Two-Face is said to roam, becasue I HATED Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face. He was far too multiple personalitied rather then the dark personality taken over as we have known to come and love. Plus his saying We instead of I drove me nuts and I can only hope Christopher Noland fixes Two-Face.

As for the question posted above mine when I began typing this, I like some of the Marvel Charactors. X-Men, Daredevil, Spiderman, Elektra, Punisher, Captain America. Not a big Hulk fan though.

PS: Who else thinks a live action Batman Beyond movie would be superly amazing if they had Adam West play Bruce?

SupermanNYC

[13]Jun 12, 2007
    • level: 45
    McRazor wrote:

-In "Golem" there was a geeky guy who after he got powers wanted to get even with the school bully (like Peter Parker aka Spider-Man)

-In the movie "the Return of the Joker" Terry mentions that the Joker could be alive because he might have been criogenicaly frozen - like Captain America.

It has a lot to do with the artist. They work DC and Marvel. So that would explain it.

sporkman5353

[15]Jun 18, 2007
    2wingo wrote:

[/QUOTE]

You think marvel rocks. look at civil war. You think d.c. stinks. read superman/batman

SpideyFan914

[16]Oct 28, 2007

Wow. No offense, but you really don't know what you're talking about.

First of all, Marvel and DC are NOT rivals, but allies! They've even had team-ups in the past (Spider-Man/Superman; Flash/Quicksilver), although I've never read any of them.

In addition, you have far from mentioned all of the Marvel rip-offs.Even I, being a Marvel obsessor and usual DC hater (BB is the only exception to date), probably haven't even caught all of them. Here's some:
    Stalker/Kraven the Hunter
    Shriek/Shriek
    Mr. Fix/Ox
    Powers/Kingpin
    Terrific Trio/Fantastic Four
    Curare's Group (Don't remember the name)/The Hand
    Kobra/HYDRA
    Payback/Cardiac
    Melaney/Felicia
    Terry/Peter Parker
    Earth Mover/Ego
    Repeller/Unus
    Ratboy/Mole Man
    Inque/Appearance of Venom Symbiote, Powers of Sandman or Hydro-Man
    School in "Mind Games"/X-Men (Only evil)
    Spellbinder/Mysterio
    Falseface/Chameleon

Any questions, just ask.

PS: I have only up to S3E2, and I didn't even finish it, b-c Veoh's missing the last 2 or 3 minutes.

And yes, I love all Marvel other than Iron Man.

batmanbat

[17]Nov 17, 2007
    • level: 6
    No offence, but Marvel has done its fair share of rip offs/"allusions"

Superman/Captain America

Batman/Iron Man

WonderWoman/Thor

Elongated Man/Mr.Fantastic

But even though they are rivals, they both homage each other.

Antiyonder

[18]Nov 20, 2007
    • level: 39
    There have been references to DC from Marvel before. The 1981 Spider-Man cartoon had at least three Superman references (one includes Clark Kent walking out of a phonebooth just as Peter is getting ready to make a call. He even says, "Say, where have I seen that guy before?").

Final_One

[19]Dec 1, 2007
    • level: 5
    I_Love_My_DVR wrote:
    McRazor wrote:

1: Obviously the Terrific Trio was a salute to the Fantastic Four.

2: Too common, pushing it.

3: Armor/Exosuits are too common, pushing it.

4: General Science Fiction fare

About number 4 -> What Terry actually said was: "Being resurrected after having been cryogenically frozen in a block of ice for 60 years?", so, yes, it's a Captain America reference.

dcmarvelfanguy

[20]Jul 9, 2009
    • level: 9
    I don't see Mad Stan as a rip off of any Marvel characters. Mad Stan rules!!!!!!!!