Batman Beyond Forums

The WB (ended 2001)

why did bruce wayne hang up the first batman suit

jadenalover

[1]Jan 28, 2008
    • level: 5

i think it was because he mde it even tougher then the first and i think he knew that terry would one day be batman

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

scottgetz

[2]Jan 31, 2008
    • level: 7
    If you go by everything we now know, it may be that Bruce hung up the suit in hopes that Terry would take it up one day, since he knew Terry was his "son".

I think partially Bruce had to hang up the suit because he just could not do it anymore, even with all of the modifications to his suit, he could not combat the fact that he was getting older, and the criminals were getting more advanced.

loganrogue24

[3]Feb 2, 2008
    • level: 6
    i thought it was because he was haveing heart problems in the first episode he was clutching his chest like he was haveing a heart atack.

FamilyGuyFan507

[4]Feb 2, 2008
    • level: 6
    From what I know, this series goes off a quiet bit of what the Graphic Novels do but at the age of 46, is when Bruce Wayne Retired as Batman, due to his heart issues and the fact he was getting to old to stop crime. Not to mention he wanted to settle down on life and The Authorites thought him to be another criminal.

sporkman5353

[5]Feb 11, 2008
    • level: 18
    Now if you watched episodes like rebirth, epilogue and rotj,you would know this. he was getting too old yes, but he didnt realize it until his fellow heroes and sidekicks abandoned him, and when he almost killed/used a gun.

MajLorne

[6]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 21
    scottgetz wrote:
    If you go by everything we now know, it may be that Bruce hung up the suit in hopes that Terry would take it up one day, since he knew Terry was his "son".

I think partially Bruce had to hang up the suit because he just could not do it anymore, even with all of the modifications to his suit, he could not combat the fact that he was getting older, and the criminals were getting more advanced.
    I doubt Bruce knew Terry was actually his son, but then again he is Batman, so i wouldn't be surprised if he found out someone swiped a blood sample to use by Waller.
    But as far as the suit goes that is correct, he needed a modified suit to amplify his strength since he alone can't hit or kick the same as he used to when he was much younger.

AxStarr

[7]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 15
    In one episode, Terry says to Bruce "someday, you're going to tell me the real reason you stopped being Batman," after Bruce said it was due to his health conditions

My point is, I remember reading a theory that that real reason was because Batman had to resort to pulling a gun on one of the criminals in order to survive, something he never did before. Seeing that that was what he had become, he gave up the Batman identity

MajLorne

[8]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 21
    I pretty much agree about that where Bruce retired due to having to resort to using a gun on a thug so he wouldn't have been beaten to death.
    But as far as the suit goes Bruce needed the extra strength [which amplified the user's strength by 10x].

AxStarr

[9]Apr 17, 2008
    Agreed

Llaffer

[10]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 8
    AxStarr wrote:
    My point is, I remember reading a theory that that real reason was because Batman had to resort to pulling a gun on one of the criminals in order to survive, something he never did before. Seeing that that was what he had become, he gave up the Batman identity

That was showed in the pilot.

theportal

[11]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 26
    The beginning of "Rebirth part 1" answers the question, but JLU's "The Once and Future Thing part 2" sheds new light on the question by having Bruce travel to the future to meet Terry.

_Sinbad_

[12]May 9, 2008
    • level: 4
    Bruce quit cause he didn't have the strength he used to have, his age, and the fact that he had to stoop down to the level of the common criminal to live which was something he never wanted to do

AxStarr

[13]May 26, 2008
    Yeah, that was my point as well, about stooping to the criminal level. Batman believes that what separates him from an actual criminal is that he doesn't kill. Furthermore, he vows to never use a gun. In the episode, he had to not only use a gun as a last resort, he had to threaten murder with it. I believe that in spite of all his health problems, this was what he could not stand and this was what forced him to hang up the suit

kellerwilliam02

[14]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 13
    sporkman5353 wrote:
    Now if you watched episodes like rebirth, epilogue and rotj,you would know this. he was getting too old yes, but he didnt realize it until his fellow heroes and sidekicks abandoned him, and when he almost killed/used a gun.
    are you serious? he never used the gun. Speaking as someone that's halfway intelligent there is a difference between pointing it and using it. He pointed it at the guy and he ran off and was arrested.

A_Kefka

[15]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 10
    kellerwilliam02 wrote:
    sporkman5353 wrote:
    are you serious? he never used the gun. Speaking as someone that's halfway intelligent there is a difference between pointing it and using it. He pointed it at the guy and he ran off and was arrested.
    The fact that he almost used it was the problem. The look on his face when it happened said that His will to survive would have overridden everything else and in that desperate moment he would have used it if the man hadn't stopped. Batman can never be desperate enough that killing is the only option, so he stopped being batman.

cale1234567

[16]Aug 26, 2008
    • level: 7
    i wish he used the giant metal suit or had a legion of bat robots
    like in kingdom come

watever393

[17]Aug 28, 2008

cale1234567 wrote:
    i wish he used the giant metal suit or had a legion of bat robots like in kingdom come

He was an A-Hole in Kingdomcome.

sporkman5353

[18]Aug 28, 2008

kellerwilliam02 wrote:
    sporkman5353 wrote:

What!? I didnt say he used it, i said he almost did. Whether or not he wouldve doesnt matter because the fact exists that he was prepared to to survive.

watever393

[19]Aug 30, 2008
    sporkman5353 wrote:

kellerwilliam02 wrote:
    sporkman5353 wrote:

What!? I didnt say he used it, i said he almost did. Whether or not he wouldve doesnt matter because the fact exists that he was prepared to to survive.

Yeah, Batman should never even consider using a gun.

sporkman5353

[20]Sep 1, 2008
    watever393 wrote:
    sporkman5353 wrote:

kellerwilliam02 wrote:
    sporkman5353 wrote:

Yeah, Batman should never even consider using a gun.

Yep, and nor does he want to.

(although he did in the 30s)