Batman Beyond

Out of the Past

Aired Saturday 9:00 AM Oct 21, 2000 on The WB

• Read the above summary, it's better than anything I could write

When I classify this episode as 'painful to watch', I do not mean that in a bad way. Simply, learning the fate of these characters was painful. The idea that Ra's has sunk so low as to sacrifice his precious daughter, simply chilling... At the same time, it was beyond cool to see Terry AKA the new guy finally getting to see Bruce in all his glory. It was also nice to have the 'Robin' reference just for us die hard fans who live for that sort of thing. Overall, this episode was simply one of those that stays with you long after it ended...
  • The final chapter in the Ra's al Ghul Saga.

Before the serious and important stuff this episode has to offer, one must at least mention the Batman Musical featured at the beginning of the episode. A lot of fun, for those who can take a joke, anyway. Bruce feels embarrassed by this and seeing what he has become sets the tone of the episode.

As Bruce Wayne has grown older and gotten out of shape, he starts missing his years as the Batman and all the persons he cared about but lost. That is when Talia, one of his former love interests comes back, looking as young as ever thanks to the Lazarus Pits, offering him a chance to relieve his youth, if he wants. Bruce ultimately agrees, and becomes a little younger, but soon discovers Talia has other plans for him. The revelation that Ra's has sacrificed his own daughter so he could live again through her, was handled well. Talia/Ra's was, in one word, disturbing. Or as Terry would say, "Creepy". Though you must admit Bruce had the best lines in this episode. From his reaction to the Batman Musical at the beginning of the episode ("It's schw-arbage.") to his mocking of Talia/Ra's ("You hit like a girl") to my personal favorite, once again about Talia/Ra's ("She kissed me!").

This episode offers a lot of fun, action and a fitting end to one of Batman's most powerful enemies, Ra's al Ghul.
  • funny

the batman musical made me laugh!!!!!! it was funny and especially when Gordon and Batman sang. Bruce was embarrased by it

The also had the return of Ras Al Ghul, whom had sacrificed Talia to live again. Man this guy could never die until then and Bruce thinks he should have died longo ago. When Terry tried to rescue him, he said what ever is in there died years ago. it was funny when Bruce said you hit like a girl when Ras slapped him and saying anything to hold off the grim reaper another few seconds. Oh man, Bruce was disgusted and very angry at Ras.