Batman Beyond

Sentries of the Last Cosmos

Aired Saturday 9:00 AM May 06, 2000 on The WB

7.6
  • DC / WB remake of "The Last Starfighter" and hats off to "Star Wars" episode.

When I was younger my employer sent me to Hollywood to work with a company by the name of Digital Productions. My job was to help them better utilize their Cray X-MP and IBM VM system. As one of the software designers and developers at Cray, it fell to me to help them in my small way help produce the special effects (and make money in the meantime to keep a float) for "The Last Starfighter."

When the owner of the game approached Terry's fellow student, the pieces started falling into place that this was the "Batman Beyond" remake / version of "The Last Starfighter." It was fun seeing this version, though, considering the Batman Beyond series does acknowledge life beyond Earth, why it couldn't have been really similar to movie, I'm not sure. I guess this way the entire plot begins and ends in one episode and they never need to return to it. Having it as a reoccurring theme might have been interesting, but they (most likely) didn't want the commitment.

Actually, the entire episode was really fun combining the "Star Wars" and "The Last Starfighter" references together on various levels. The ending was great for the fan, but honestly the use of "schway" in the series is -- well -- getting old. Is that the only word kids of that time know to express the exceptional quality of something?

I'm giving the episode a 10 (Perfect) because TV.com doesn't allow for a finer level of rating. Honestly, it isn't a 10, but it is higher than a 9.51, so rounding up ....