Batman Gotham Knights

The WB (ended 1999)

Batman Gotham Knights Fan Reviews (40)

• This one is even better even the first one SPOILERS

It shows more Bat and Cat romance even a kiss(It would have been neat if they included Huntress of Earth 2 thatwuld of been a real drama hitter for both of them).Also Batgirl finally joined the team so more of her.Nightwing comes out now.Also it showed how Harley got with the Joker.The only thing that was missing was for Barbara to become Oracle and rise the realtionship with Dick.
  • Batman Gotham Knights starts off where TAS left but with some changes.

The most important change in Gotham Knights is the appearance: the drawings are more manga-like. Therefore a great artistic link to TAS is lost.

Next to this we see that the old Robin has become Nightwing and there's a new Robin (a much younger one).
    We also have Batgirl who joins the club.

Where Nightwing is a great character (well, it's bassicly Robin with more maturity) the new Robin is simply irritating and gets on my nerves

But I have to say, the show isn't a complete waste of time.
    Simply for one reason: it's batman

How messed up can you make it? I don't care!
    As long as we have a man, dressed as a bat who fights the ambassadors of evil, we'll watch it with a bag of popcorn.

But the popcorn tastes better while watching TAS!
  • This is why gotham knights is better than the original

First there was Batman the animated series than gotham knights, out of the two I like gotham knights this version is better because the animation has gotten better batman has more sidekicks lil robin,batgirl,and former robin aka knightwing batman has more enemies than before joker also looks more creepy and insane.I have not seen gotham knights since 11 years ago when it aired on kids wb anyway the whole design is much better like bruce has more details in his face and wardrobe they also fused it superman which made it twice as cool that is about all I could think of for now. (LATER)
  • Good stuff, but not better than Batman The Animated Series.

I really loved this series. Unfortunately, it is not better than the original Batman the Animated Series. There is one thing that I must complain about in this series, Batman seemed weak. It seemed as if Batman, in most episodes, could not handle his enemies and had to depend on Robin, Nightwing, or Batgirl. In Batman The Animated Series Batman did everything on his own except on a few occasions. I remember there was atleast two episodes in the animated series where if it were not for Robin, batman would have been defeated. In Gotham Knights, Batman was saved bunches of times by his sidekicks. Anyway, besides Batman looking a bit weak, everything else was alright. I really liked the animation. I am not saying that the character designs were better than the ones in the original animated series becuase they weren't, but everything looked very nice. The series still captured the dark shadowy city of Gotham and Batman very well. There was one character design that was better than the original and that was Scarecrow. Scarecrow looked awesome in this series. The Joker and the Mad Hatter looked hidious though. The storytelling was still good in this series. It wasn't as good as the original animted series but they were alright. So overall it was a cool series that is definitely worth watching if you are a Batman fan but do not expect too much.
  • At times it approaches, but never really matches, the quality of "Batman: The Animated Series."

Though it's all of the same writing/producing talent and virtually the same voice actors as the classic "Batman: The Animated Series," there's something about "Batman - Gotham Knights" that just doesn't click with me.

Maybe it's like Timm and Company's "Superman" in that, for all of its smoother animation, the plots are lacking. Like "Superman," action sequences have been beefed up and characterization has been tossed aside. Out of the run, I can think of only three episodes that match the caliber of "TAS." "Over the Edge," the nightmarish episode penned by Paul Dini; "Never Fear;" and "Legends of the Dark Knight." Other than those, we have weak Joker episodes, uninspired new villains (Calendar Girl, Roxie Rocket...even Firefly stinks.)

And the number of weak episodes in this series is too high compared to the good. "Beware the Creeper?" "Critters?" "Ultimate Thrill?"

This may be nitpicky, but as a Batman fan, I wasn't wild about the whole "Bat-family" being featured. It doesn't make a lot of sense that Batman surrounds himself with Robin, Batgirl, et al because Batman fundamentally is a loner. In "TAS," he was a lone wolf most of the time and the stories were better for it. In "Gotham Knights," if Batman gets into trouble, there's at least three other heroes who can swing in and save the day. It eliminates a lot of the tension when the solution to a problem is, "Oh! Robin/Batgirl/Nightwing shows up!"

Much of the complaints against this show stem from the character redesigns. Are they all that bad? Penguin and Scarecrow look much better than their "TAS" counterparts. Batman looks a little better (his "Justice League" design was much worse, in my opinion.) The biggest offenses are Joker and Commissioner Gordon, who now looks emaciated.

That could be because the animation itself is weaker..."TAS" had a timeless sort of quality to the show, like the Fleischer "Superman" cartoons of the 1940s. "Gotham Knights" looks like any cartoon show from the mid 1990s.

I'm not sure what the exact reason was for the decline in quality, but as such I've never been able to really embrace this series. I'll stick with my Volumes 1-3 DVDs of "Batman: The Animated Series" and chalk this one up to a good idea that needed some fixing before it got on the screen.
  • Click on continue if you want to hear what I have to say both about the show and the people reviewing it.

I'm deeply disappointed with the people reviewing this show. They're all focusing on one thing: The designs. Can't these people who rate it with less than a 8 get over the design flaws. The budget was getting to low so they improvised with new designs. I will get more into the design topic later but as for now, and what about these people saying the storylines have changed? Most of the episodes feel the same as TAS. Mad Love is definately my favorite episode (TAS or Gtham Knights). The new designs arn't that bad. Let me go through a walkthrough of what I think:

Joker: Worse than in TAS but not that bad. He still looks like a psycotic clown with rouble on his mind.
    Harley Quinn: Seems to have no change in her appearance other than being slimmed down.
    Poison Ivy: Better than before. Sure the curves were cool before but she looks more like a plant lady now.
    Scarecrow: HE LOOKS SCARY!!!

Sorry, I have to cut this review short because I have to leave. I'll post a thread similar to this on the forums later if you want to read more (assuming you car of my opinion.)
  • the best show ever to watch... batman and the gotham knights to take out the villians. so this series is the best series i ever watch.

Batman and the gotham knights to take out the villians. so this series is the best series i ever watch. the series are great after it first season. which i will still love and watch. im giving this show 9.5 score. batman is the great man with a dark past and he still fight with dark justice.
  • this show was awesome!

Maybe not a better series then batman the animated series,but still had complicated characters,cool villains,cool storylines,and awesome vechicles and gadgets.

Nightwing was a great addition to the dark knights and so was batwoman and tim drake aka robin 2.

The return of the joker,static shock,batman beyond,and superman tied in well with this series too.
  • it's a good show.

the show has batman be more modern but not too original and it makes him look alot better and they have robin batgirl and nightwing, it's cool the enemies are the same but differant and the show is just great . another great show from bruce timm. it's a very great show.
  • The Dark Knight returns. This show continues the Animated Series, but based a few years later. The series spends alot more time on the other heroes of Gotham including a new Robin, Nightwing, and Batgirl.

The Animated Series remixed. They changed all the chracter models. They ruined the joker, improved the penguin, and totally redesigned Killer Croc (for the good), just to name a few. Though not as good as The Animated Series, the show is still one of the best comic book cartoons. The series is set about 5 years after Sub-zero, the last Animated Series movie.
    Dick Grayson, the original Robin has left Batman after a quarrel. He's now known as Nightwing. Troubled youth Tim Drake takes the role as the new Robin. Barbara Gordon returns as Batgirl. The show spends alot more time centering around the other heroes with Batman sometimes making only a cameo appearance.
  • when i was growing up i used to wath this show all the was one of my favorites carttons.the show was really favorite vilian was the joker.he was so was cool that robin and batgirl was in the cartton too

when i was growing up i used to wath this show all the was one of my favorites carttons.the show was really favorite vilian was the joker.he was so was cool that robin and batgirl was in the cartton too.i wish they would bring back to tv.
  • awesome show

Batman gotham knights is a continuation to batman the animated series they had most of the voice actors come back all exept for batgirl. I really liked the redesigns of the characters exept the riddler which I thought should have been in more episodes and they should have had ra's al ghul in some episodes. They brought Dick Grayson back as nightwing which was really cool and they had a little robin who is tim drake. The producers didnt want to make him jason todd because he was killed by the joker in the comics. the stories were great especially old wounds where nightwing reveals to robin why he quit being robin. Although in my persoonal opinion I didnt think this show was as dark as the other one it is still awesome. Later...
  • A very good show.

This was a a very good show. However i felt that they ruined some of the caricther's in it I.E the scarcrow.
    I would have liked to see an ending to this show that crossed over with birds of prey the tv season. This way they could have explaned what happens to Batman and Robin.
    I think that Nightwing was a good addation to the show, I found it quite intresting to find out why he decided to go it alone.
    I would defintley recomend this show to other people. If you liked Batman the films then you will like this series.
  • It's on Boomerang, but i don't have that channel.

I'm a big fan of the Batman series so this one is no exception. I liked this one better than the 1992 version because that one was too gloomy and dark but this one is different with more characters and the crossover with superman. I'm continuing my nostalgia review-athon so this one was next on my list. The animation was flawless, the story was always interesting and it was really a highlight of my preteen years. Man, only 76 words i don't what else to put so i'll stall. There you go only 2 more words to go. Batman Rules!!
  • Batman Gotham Nights was an awesome show. I love it.

Batman Gotham Nights was about Batman, Robin, Batgirl, and once in a while Nightwing. It had better artwork and great stories. It showed how Tim Drake become Robin and how Comissioner Gordon might've snapped if Batgirl ever got hurt. It gave you more of a look at the characters backgrounds which was good. I also like how they drew the characters differently from before. Like how the Scarecorow looked like a hanged corpse and how BAne had a more studded look. Batman Gotham Nights was a great show and ahead of its time. Noone should miss out on their great adventures.
  • A new look at the adventures of Batman and the Bat Clan.

Oh how I wish they would bring this show back. And I will continue to wish it until . . . well until i get sick of wishing i guess.

Love the whole new look of the characters, love that Nightwing is in it, and love that Batgirl kicks ass! I also like how the past is brought into this series: such as when they look into Harley's past and the episode "Old Wounds" where we find out why Dick became Nightwing.

The inclusion of Supergirl and Superman, as well as some new villains in episodes also helps make this series better than the original TAS. Not that I didnt like the original TAS, but I like this series better.
  • Another great animated version of the crime fighting super hero Batman. this one had a little different twist adding the Nightwing character.

Another great animated version of the crime fighting super hero Batman. this one had a little different twist adding the Nightwing character. One of the main reasons for this of course was for marketing. They had new figurines to sell to make more cash. Many of the same actors returned to this version of batman. Kevin Conroy once again voiced Bruce Wayne and Batman. Loren Lester was the voice of Dick Grayson and Nightwing. Mathew Valencia was the voice of Tim Drake and Robin. The rest of the main characters were Robert Costanzo as Detective Harvey Bullock, Bob Hastings
    Commissioner Jim Gordon, Tara Strong as Barbara Gordon and Batgirl, and Efrem Zimbalist Jr. returned as Alfred Pennyworth (The Butler). Not a bad show I just wish they wouldn't add characters from out of the blue.

• hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooly crap this show is great

here is a list of my favorite episodes

episode:#2 sins of the father

episode:#5 you scrach my back (my personal favorite because it is nightwings appearance)

episode:#7 joker's millians

episode:#9love is a croc

episode:#12 over the edge

episode:#17 old wounds

episode:#19 ledgends of the dark night

episode:#21 mad love

episode:#23 beware the creeper

episode:#24 judgement day

all the rest are okay or rather crappy but don't take my word for it if i am the first review you are reading

here is a list of my favorite episodes

episode:#19 ledgends of the dark night

episode:#21 mad love

episode:#23 beware the creeper

episode:#24 judgement day

• A fun cartoon, but it is a shame this series is often marketed as part of Batman: The Animated Series; in reality it is a different series, not worthy of as much praise.

Batman Gotham Knights, or more correctly "The New Batman Adventures" is the 24 episode series that was aired two years after the original Batman Animated Series. The series is often marketed as part of "Batman: The Animated Series", as evidenced by producer's comments, DVD marketing, and the title/credit sequences of these episodes.

These episodes had a lower budget, and featured a drastically different artistic style. While Batman, Two-Face, Clayface and Batgirl looked very similar, most of the other characters had drastic remakes. Scarecrow looks better in the series, whereas virtually every other character looks worse. Especially with Catwoman and Poison Ivy, who have traded in sexy curves for easy-to-draw angles, loosing a part of their character in the process (their sexy persona). While a few people prefer this style, these versions of the characters destroy much of what Batman: The Animated Series achieved.

The music suffers as well. While traditional orchestral music is still prevalent, there is not as much of it as there is far more recycling of tunes.

Perhaps the most important difference, however, is the thematic difference. This show focuses on Batgirl, Nightwing, Robin and other characters, often to the exclusion of Batman. For this I believe the faux-title "Gotham Knights" is more accurate than its official studio title. One episode focuses exclusively on Batgirl and Supergirl. In general, the episodes are goofier, and focus more on flashy action scenes than on serious characterization.

That is not to say there aren't exceptions. "Mad Love" is a perfect example of classic Batman tale that would fit right at home in the original Batman Animated Series. There are some great experimental episodes as well, such as "Legends of the Dark Knight" and "Over The Edge". These are episodes I very much enjoyed. There are several other episodes that are worth watching, as well. Overall, even though an episode like "Mad Love" is exceptional, episodes of this quality are just too rare in this series.

As a cartoon, this is fun series, and likely stands high among its competition, but on the whole it doesn't reach as high as the original Batman series. For that, it should never have been pitched as part of the original series. While children will likely enjoy the series, I would recommend only selected episodes to older Batman fans.

(Note I may have given this series a higher grade than 5.5 if it wasn't for the ridiculously high scores people seem to be giving this series.)
  • Maybe this show wasn't very good, but it was still Batman!

I love anything Batman, so... I\'m going to agree with anyone who wrote a good review for almost anything that includes Batman. Almost.

I love Batman. I love Batman. I love Batman. I love Batman. I love Batman. I love Batman. I love Batman. I love Batman. I love Batman. I love Batman. But I\'m not infatuated with the Batman okay? It\'s just that Batman seems to be the most psychological superhero out of the superheroes.

Sorry, I need a hundred words in my review.

This show fills in more missing blanks in the animated series, so I respect it; though I am sure no one cares what I think.You\'re probably going \"Yeah. That\'s right!\" No. I\'m sure no one is even going to read this so...

Just saying that I\'m glad this show was made. Sadly, I don\'t remember anything about it because I was really young at that time.

:( I miss Teen Titans. It's over.
  • A look into Harley's past

I love this episode. It has an in depth look into Harley's past, and what caused her to partner with the famous clown prince of crime.
    It made me laugh (the part where she tries to 'turn the joker on :))The Joker pushing her out of the window was wonderfully done,and the ending was really sweet.
  • the show is good, but the they skip parts of the characters.

I mean where's jason todd,where's azrael, the spoiler? The backgrounds are good, but they made the characters more darker. The men they made them more bulker. Robin's costume is red, black, and yellow. Robin's costume is always a post to be red, green ,yellow. That's how Bob Kane(creator of batman)add robin's colors
  • The stories were monumental, but its the makeover i didn't like. Sure it made them easy to draw, but it took away the element that made Batman: TAS so Legendary.

To me, story is everything. Thats 6 points in my book.
    You can see where all the other points in my system goes...

Some of the make over was interesting and made the characters even better than before. But in my opinion... Joker was a big disappointment.

He lost that realistic insanity look, and became nothing more than a common cartoon character.
    Sorry, just being honest...
  • this show was a classic and will be in batman history forever

this month i got a dvd set of the whole Batman : Gotham Knights collection and it was PERFECT!! this show has barely any bad episodes and many many great episodes like over the edge , sins of the father , legends of the dark knight , and never fear just to name a few. the voice acting of batman , batgirl, nightwing, and robin is absolutely superb. the art style is what i love the most it has a great classic look that makes all the characters look dark which batman is . the show can be very dark and fearful at times which i really love about it.this show leaves you questions every minute which gives it suspense and curiousity. this whole batman series was very succesful and i see why if the show was on today i would be watching iit every day.If you are a true batman fanatic you hould watch this show because this show is truly the best batman show out there and is a classic. i only gave this show a 10 because this show is probably the best batman show for atleast the next 50 years or so. you would be happy if you watch this and that is a fact.
  • Batman, Batgirl, the new Robin and sometimes Nightwing continue to protect Gotham City in this not very succesfull sequel to a classic series.

The series tried to continue the success of the Batman animated series, but it didn't had the expected success.
    It lasted only two seasons. The episodes are good, but can't compare to the classic animated series episodes.
    The series introduced the new look for Batman, especially his emblem, without the yellow circle behind the bat sign. This look was used ever since, especially on the Justice League series.
  • Gritty.

A good cartoon I loved seeing as a kid. Rather action packed, and the cause of many action figure purchases. I thought at the time this was much better than the Batman Beyond series, but recently am left undecided. Both shows had this gritty element that was never present in other shows much like these. The show is very entertaining, but when you're a kid. Still, I wouldn't mis a chance to rewatch some of these memories from my childhood. I'd recommend it for any kid looking to have a fun time with their favorite caped crusader. Overall, an 8. A Good show worth the time.
  • After two years of continuous crime fighting, Batman has assembled his own team of Dark Knights to protect Gotham.

If I could put this review simply it would be: Better than Superman:TAS but not as good as Batman:TAS.
    I consider a third of these episodes (That's about eight) to be good, brilliantly done episodes. From the third episode, Cold Comfort, to the finale, Mad Love, those several kept me watching. Unfortunately, the other 15-20 episodes were usually less than interesting, with plots that could have been classic if they'd been presented better. Like S:TAS, many episodes I waited to get good before realizing that they were going to remain duds.
    Now, unlike many other people, the revamped character designs didn't bother me too much, except maybe Bruce's transition from football-player size in TAS to just muscular here in TNBA. But the animation is still good. If anything, I preferred several characters to their previous forms. Killer Croc actually looked and sounded fearsome, instead of some brainless circus freak. The Scarecrow's new look and voice (provided by Jeffrey Combs/The Question) was phenomenal and much more frightening than his before form. (He looks like a corpse!) Bane's new mask, dog collar and removal of the 'underwear look' made him look more like a supervillain and less like an ex-wrestler. And for new guys, my personal favourites were Creeper and the Judge. The Creeper, being well-scripted and done, doubled with his insane personality, made him a joy to watch. As for the Judge, he was also well-done and the echoed voice and the fact that they didn't show his feet while in costume really gave him a ghostly vibe.
    But like I said, the good was only a third of the series. Poison Ivy's obsession of plants seemed to be scaled down and pretty much replaced for a love of money, pretty much eliminating the deranged beauty from the past. And newer characters like Calender Girl and Roxy Rocket, though with intersting plans had rather dull stories in the long run.
    I don't know what it is, really, but many of these cartoons left me with a sense of unfulfillment, with a few odd jems breaking through the surface to thrill me.
  • Batman Gotham Knights is a great show.Batman Gotham Knights is an amazing series.

This is a great and amazing series.Batman Gotham Knights is a sequal to Batman the Animated Series which has Dick Grayson on his own as he is now a hero known as Nightwing.Bruce has now taken in a boy known as Tim Drake and he has become a new Robin.Barbra has becoming a full time member of the Bat crew.Bruce Wayne is even more intense than before and determind to rid Gotham of crime as Batman.This is a great series it should have been longer.
  • Batman fans, this completes the animated series.

Batman Gotham Knights, was a good way to end off the Batman animated series. I think if Gotham Knights didn\'t exsist, Batgirl wouldn\'t have been in more than two episodes, and Nightwing would never have been introduced. I personally liked this series, it was a new way of looking at the dark knight. I currently own all three volumes of Batman the animated series, and really hope this series finishes the collection off as volume four. I hope it comes out on DVD soon for every Batman fan to enjoy. I have to say that this series was a good series to watch.
  • I will say the only complaint here: Too much Joker Again. (Not that I don't like him)

These had my favorite villains introduced (other than Ivy). Roxy Rocket, who is now good (shown in the comic) and Calendar Girl. This was probably my favorite version of Batman, except for the shows that stuck out in older versions (Like Harley and Ivy, Almost Got 'Im).

I like the new sleeker design. But I do miss Poison Ivy's older look, her new look is cute and her uniform is better, but her old appearance was more seductive. Some characters looked better before they were changed like that. Bane looks amazingly better, so much that I like him now, Riddler has a better design as well.

I wish that this series had lived on longer, but at least we still have the new Batman series, which is like this, only a younger version.
< 1 2