Batman: The Animated Series

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Aired Saturday 9:00 AM Dec 25, 1993 on FOX

• This episode chronicles the life of Batman. There are many flashbacks, reveling a lot about Bruce's past and his relationship with Andrea Beaumont. It even reveals part of the Joker's past.

The episode starts off in present time, where Batman first confronts a new villian, The Phantasm. The Phantasm has just killed a gang member and leaves Batman to take the blame for it.

The episodes goes back several years in Bruce's past and shows how he meets Andrea Beaumont. She becomes the love of his life, as we go into other flashbacks during the episode.

Back in present day, more of the certain gang members are being killed. Batman is being blamed for their deaths, and the authority is cracking down on him. In fact, Batman is nearly killed after a major strike attack from the police force.

Much to his surprise, Andrea is the one to rescue him, even though they had been broken up for many years.

By then, Batman has figured out that what tied all of these now murdered gang members together, was Andrea's father. The only member who hasn't been killed yet is the Joker.

In the past, we see a scene where Andrea's father is surrounded by the now deceased gang members. He owes them money and promises them it within 24 hours.

Realizing he can't get the money in time, he takes Andrea with him as he flees to Europe. That marked the end of Bruce and Andrea's relationship.

In present time, we see The Phantasm hunting down the Joker. As we have come to know, the Joker is always a step ahead. He has already figured out the identity of the Phantasm. He knew all along that Batman was not the one killing the gang members. The Phantasm pulls off the mask and reveals that she is Andrea.

In the past we see a scence where Andrea is walking home, years after they escaped from the gang. The Joker (before he was known as the Joker)surprises her by walking out of their house. Andrea rushes in and lets out a scream, indicating that her father had been killed.

Back in present time, she still attempts to kill the Joker, but of course, he has a few tricks up his sleeve. Batman, who has also figured out the Phantasm's identity, comes to her aid.

One of the final scenes shows Andrea holding on to a beaten up Joker. The whole place is wired to explode, thanks to the Joker. Andrea turns to Batman and says that she is going to end it all. Then suddenly she vanishes in a cloud of smoke with the Joker.

In the final scene, we see Andrea standing alone on a boat, indicating that she survived the explosion. Another man on the boat starts a friendly coversaton with her. When he realizes that the conversation is going nowhere, he asks her if she wants to be alone. She responds with, "I am."

The episode was very interesting and I recommend it to all Batman fans.