DC Animated Original Movies

-batmat-

[1]Sep 25, 2010
    • level: 22

I think we can discuss here about the movies, put some news here, blablabla.

Here's the trailer for "All Star Superman" the next installment, to be released in Winter 2011. It looks bad, I getting worried how bad the characters are being designed, Superman looks dull!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvstmYjoDYE&feature=related

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RaizenYusuke

[2]Sep 25, 2010
    • level: 28
    I'm not crazy for the design myself, but the story looks interesting. Lex developing kyrptonian powers and fighting Superman head to head looks good.

-batmat-

[3]Sep 26, 2010
    Yeah, well it's been done before. (Not the kryptonite thing, but Lex fighting head to head with Sups)

I've just watched The New Frontier for the second time, and I liked it better than the first time. I wasn't all excited about it either, but it raises my previous 6 to a solid 7/10

-batmat-

[4]Sep 26, 2010
    By the way, what do you guys think of the DC Showcase shorts? The Spectre was really cool, Jonah Hex was bad ass and Green Arrow is great too. I'm looking forward to that DVD that recollects them all with that new one, "Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam"

RaizenYusuke

[5]Sep 26, 2010

-batmat- wrote:
    Yeah, well it's been done before. (Not the kryptonite thing, but Lex fighting head to head with Sups) I've just watched The New Frontier for the second time, and I liked it better than the first time. I wasn't all excited about it either, but it raises my previous 6 to a solid 7/10
    Everything has been done before lol. It still looks interesting to me.

Edited on 09/26/2010 2:08pm
    Edited 2 total times.

RaizenYusuke

[6]Sep 26, 2010
    -batmat- wrote:
    By the way, what do you guys think of the DC Showcase shorts? The Spectre was really cool, Jonah Hex was bad ass and Green Arrow is great too. I'm looking forward to that DVD that recollects them all with that new one, "Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam"
    I've only seen Spectre which I thought was really good for how short it was.

-batmat-

[7]Sep 26, 2010
    RaizenYusuke wrote:

-batmat- wrote:
    Yeah, well it's been done before. (Not the kryptonite thing, but Lex fighting head to head with Sups) I've just watched The New Frontier for the second time, and I liked it better than the first time. I wasn't all excited about it either, but it raises my previous 6 to a solid 7/10
    Everything has been done before lol. It still looks interesting to me.

you're right! I think they should stop making adaptations and start making some original stuff!

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    -batmat- wrote:
    I've only seen Spectre which I thought was really good for how short it was.

I recommend you watch the others. If you don't want to purchase the movie just for the short, they're both in Youtube.

RaizenYusuke

[8]Sep 26, 2010
    The DCAU continued would be cool, but I think they are pretty much done with it. I am still hoping once GL and Flash make live action movies that the team will branch of into more of the DCU stories. I mean they do a lot of Batman and Superman movies, but it would be nice to see more heroes get solo movies. Buying the movies aren't the probelm for me. It's just I forgot they are only for Blue Ray and so when I bought the dvd I missed out lol. I missed the Jonah Hex short because I bought Under the Redhood on dvd instead of blue ray. I'll probably start buying them on blue ray now for the shorts.

-batmat-

[9]Sep 26, 2010
    Oh, but if you don't want to buy the bluray, the shorts are also on the 2 discs DVD!

By the way, Blu-ray is miles away here. The bluray player is expensive and not so much titles are available. But I've always wanted to know something... how does the DVDs look in the bluray player and on HDTVs? It's fine... the same... better than a regular TV...?

zepherous35

[10]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 26
    They look great. Although, I don't watch many DVDs in the blu-ray player, except Star Wars. I buy everything on blu-ray, and they look spectacular. HD looks good period. Sometimes when watching a show I will switch to the SD channel to see how much better the HD channel looks. There is a big difference. My blu-ray up converts the DVDs, so they look really good, also. The DC animated movies look great on blu-ray; I own all of them on blu-ray.

-batmat-

[11]Sep 27, 2010
    That sounds neat!

-batmat-

[12]Oct 13, 2010
    "All-Star Superman" has a rating of PG, the first one not being PG-13. What do you think of this? IMO, it's not too bad. "Mask of teh Phantasm" is not PG-13 and it's one of the best Batman movies ever.

BTW,I'm looking forward to the release of "Superman/Shazam" it collects all the Showcase shorts, plus that new one. Sweet for the ones who doesn't have two disc or blu ray versions!

-batmat-

[13]Oct 16, 2010
    During the last couple of weeks, I've watched the last 3 movies I hadn't watched, "Superman Doomsday" "Wonder Woman" and "GL: First Flight"

Doomsday was great, nice animation for being the first one of all, and it deals pretty well what would happend in a world without Superman. But it had it's weak moments, like the killing baby doll, Mercy's "Voldemort" nose, and Doomsday's senceless purpose, but overall it's pretty good. 7.5/10

Wonder Woman, on the other hand, was pretty bad, I didn't like it. It started of bad, but it got a little more interesting, with the choosing of Diana as the embassador and all that stuff, but then... Hades came along, and the Ares war and uninteresting and lame (all of this, just my thoughts) 5.5/10

First Flight, back on the oooother hand, was pretty good. From what I expected to be an intergalactic lame film, came an action-packed one, that I enjoyed very much. The hole leading up to the last fight during the film (who's good, who's bad) failed, as I found the final GL vs Sinestro battle not as good as previous action sequences, plus, I didn't liked the Super-Green-Green-Lantern. I guess the ring could have absorved all that energy and having Hal being with the same power. 7.5+/10

RaizenYusuke

[14]Oct 18, 2010
    I didn't like Superman Doomsday that much.

zepherous35

[15]Oct 19, 2010

Superman Doomsday is one of my favorites. I enjoyed how the story played out, especially the Lois story. I thought it was very intriguing. I have read the comic it was 'loosely' based on, and of course, it wasn't close to it. But, if one takes it for what it is, a retelling, it was pretty good. I like how Lois knew they whole time he was Superman and she waited for him to tell her. It mirrors Smallville, to a point, and I have always liked Lois and Clark's interaction with each other on that series.

RaizenYusuke

[16]Oct 19, 2010
    zepherous35 wrote:

Superman Doomsday is one of my favorites. I enjoyed how the story played out, especially the Lois story. I thought it was very intriguing. I have read the comic it was 'loosely' based on, and of course, it wasn't close to it. But, if one takes it for what it is, a retelling, it was pretty good. I like how Lois knew they whole time he was Superman and she waited for him to tell her. It mirrors Smallville, to a point, and I have always liked Lois and Clark's interaction with each other on that series.

I actually did like that Lois knew Clark was Superman and Lex's obession with Superman was explored.

zepherous35

[17]Oct 19, 2010

That's why I like it. It is very story-driven, and those are the ones I like the most.

RaizenYusuke

[18]Oct 19, 2010
    My real complaint was that I think the focus should have been on Doomsday fight rather then the Superman clone. The fight was too early and short to. I never read the comic so can't compare it to that.

zepherous35

[19]Oct 20, 2010

I have to agree with that. The Doomsday fight was short, at not very satisfying. I think what they were trying to portray with the movie, though, what the world would be like without Superman. The clone was everyone's nightmare of Superman; what if he used his powers for evil? And again, I really enjoyed Lois' role in the movie as a whole.

-batmat-

[20]Oct 20, 2010
    I didn't like that Lois knowing about Clark thing. She says "I know who you are, why can't you tell me?" and Superman says "If I reveal my identity to you I'd be puting you in danger" but she already knows! Blah, I don't know. Overall it's a good movie. Luthor's obsession with Superman was great, that's true.