DC Comics Discussion Thread: The Return of Bruce Wayne and Brightest Day

sporkman5353

[1]Oct 4, 2008
    • level: 18

OK, i figured we might as well make a topic for the mainstream batman comics for us to discuss them.

Our first topic should be about Batman RIP, the current event going on.

basically this event is supposed to alter almost everything about theDark Knight, and the vilainis a supposedly alivwe Thomas Wayne, and Joker.

Ill start off by summing up part 5 of the series, also talking about the 1st 4 parts. (spoilers included)

So basically Thomas Wayne and the Black Glove have captured Bruce Wayne andhis girlfriend who knows his secret identity, Jezebel Jet. He is locked in an asylum with The Joker, and Thomas Wayne is holding some yearly event in which the rich bet on dangerous situations, in this case, whether Batman (now relying on a backup identity), will survive the night. We end with Batman thinking Jezebel is dying and he failed. It also seems Jezebel is part of The Black Glove. Im still specualting as to whats going on, and ill get back to that soon

SPOILERS END

Anyway, just use this thread for general discussion, speculation and questions.

Edited on 04/06/2010 3:58pm
    Edited 5 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

theportal

[2]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 26
    Is there gonna be a part 6? I don't want to read it, but I'd like to know how it ends and what happens.

sporkman5353

[3]Oct 5, 2008

theportal wrote:
    Is there gonna be a part 6? I don't want to read it, but I'd like to know how it ends and what happens.

Yeah, its coming out the 1st wek of november. Most of the tieins will end next monh as well. Ill tell you about part six when it comes out, but there seems to be 2 2 parters afterwards tying up the stories, then i heard there may be a final event called Rite of passage. Kinda reminds me of something elseCoughknightfallcoughcough

The writing is still really good, its the story i havent decided if i like yet.

frankensteindr

[4]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 11
    I have never ever read these comics and am a complete newb on the subject..but im still posting here cause im cool like that..and plan to derail this thread as for from the OT than possible. Bye now.

RoboAmish

[5]Oct 5, 2008
    Hmm... Grant Morrison has turned into a bit of a hack and I'm not happy with the direction the series is taking the character of Batman. That said, the last issue was siply fantastic, the best Batman issue I've read in years (I include Dini's superb run on Detective Comics in this statement) and I'm hungrily anticipating the final part

jwgrlrrajn

[6]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 23
    frankensteindr wrote:
    I have never ever read these comics and am a complete newb on the subject..but im still posting here cause im cool like that..and plan to derail this thread as for from the OT than possible. Bye now.

We'll see about that.

Have they figured out whether or not Thomas Wayne was lying about Bruce being Alfred's son yet? (that has got to be the most messed up concept in the history of Batman... other than Robin and Batgirl that is)

RoboAmish

[7]Oct 6, 2008
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    frankensteindr wrote:

We'll see about that.

Have they figured out whether or not Thomas Wayne was lying about Bruce being Alfred's son yet? (that has got to be the most messed up concept in the history of Batman... other than Robin and Batgirl that is)

It's all going to be resolved in the next issue. I really hope he was lying...

A_Kefka

[8]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 10
    another important thing to note is that in all the other Bat books no one knows where Batman is or what has happened to him. Except in "Batman and the outsiders", in which the group got a message from him at the end of the last issue, saying something about how he had to do things the way he did. This seems to confirm that he survives whatever is going on.

RoboAmish

[9]Oct 6, 2008
    It would appear The Joker now knows The Batman's real identity. I assume that Batman RIP is suggesting the idea that Bruce Wayne as a secret identity is now finished (also shown by Gordon teaming up with Taila). I can take that, though I'm still worried about Morrison's proclaimations that we're in for the biggest shocker ever that will change Bats beyond repair

A_Kefka

[10]Oct 7, 2008
    I doubt they'd let even Morrison do anything too drastic to batman. WIth the movies he's their biggest character right now. Plus, he's in trinity.

dbcsdragon

[11]Oct 7, 2008
    • level: 12

A_Kefka wrote:
    I doubt they'd let even Morrison do anything too drastic to batman. WIth the movies he's their biggest character right now. Plus, he's in trinity.

That does include the Bat-family as well, right. I am more worried about what might happen with Alfred. Personally, I don't think that he would really disgrace himself and Martha Wayne by having an affair. At least I sincerely hope not.

A_Kefka

[12]Oct 8, 2008

he probably can do almost anything with the other characters, at least the ones who don't have their own books.

as a side issue for anyone who's been reading Robin, I wonder who's in the "Red Robin" suit.

RoboAmish

[13]Oct 9, 2008
    dbcsdragon wrote:

A_Kefka wrote:

That does include the Bat-family as well, right. I am more worried about what might happen with Alfred. Personally, I don't think that he would really disgrace himself and Martha Wayne by having an affair. At least I sincerely hope not.

Hard to know with Morrison. I mean, he's been hyping up this revelation so much that the whole "Alfred is Bruce's father" thing won't cut the mustard as it's been hinted at so much in previous issues that it truly wouldn't be that shocking at this stage. I really hope that the series ends with something big and shocking but at the same time doesn't cheapen years of Bat history. Then again they'll only do a retcon if it really is too bitter a pill for fans to swallow.

Dr. Hurt= The Devil. Just watch...
    Edited on 10/09/2008 7:35am

sporkman5353

[14]Oct 13, 2008

My current theory, after rereading part 3 which used to make no sense to me, is that bruce Wayne made a scenario similar to the Danse Macabre in order to become invulnerable by getting to know the most twisted soul he faced, the Joker, back in his early days of crimefighting. He was planning to activate it after all the tension with final criis and everything going on right now ended, but Thomas Wayne/someone who thought he was Tom Wayne (Clone, possibly, or brainwashing w/plastic surgery) got a hold of the scenario, and added to it, making it a way to defeat his "son" because of jealousy and for money. This was probably atleast 15 years ago(i think Dr. Hurt already had a plan before finding Bruces scenario). The Jokers shot in the head was probably because of either abrainwashed batman, an actor, or Joker playing a twisted joke on Batman, just to add to some hope in his head that he could get Joker on his side. Jezebel jet was probably brainwashed or something to act the way she does at certain times, before she met Bruce, and although the roses she got in contact to in part 5 do kill, because of the events of the end of part 4, she has a vaccine to them, as does, most likely, Batman. Also, who is talking ot Gordon in part 5 before Talia and Damian show up. in part 4, Alfred has a bug placed on him, which proabably induces mindcontrol or omething. I dont necessarily think that Alfred is Bruces father either, because, in part 1, it is shown the Black Glove has long reaches. Also, if Thomas Wayne was brainwashed o something, who did it? Probbly John Mayhew, who may even be Dr. Hurt (hes the actor from the black glove movie in part 2) As for batman and Robin returning, and who will be Batman, Batman will be Batman, the person who was once Bruce Wayne, but is ultimately Batman. On the first page of this whole thing, Batman andRobin appear, saying they will never die. Then it goes to six months ago. Im guessing this page wont be seen again until the Rites of Passage storylin,e or whatever it is, popping up in Jan. or Feb.

And yes this makes no sense if you havent read the series

A_Kefka

[15]Oct 13, 2008
    Parts of that sound plausable. One thing though, it wasn't Batman that shot the Joker. A while ago there were 3 false batmen, one of them shot Joker.

sporkman5353

[16]Oct 14, 2008
    A_Kefka wrote:
    Parts of that sound plausable. One thing though, it wasn't Batman that shot the Joker. A while ago there were 3 false batmen, one of them shot Joker.
    Oops, i didnt read that story, so i wouldnt know, and thatporbabably applies to a couple other parts. I dont know what was up with the picture in part 2 though.

frankensteindr

[17]Oct 14, 2008
    • level: 11

So...bologn..its nice eh?...who needs comic books when you can..do stuff..

A_Kefka

[18]Oct 15, 2008
    I'd say any type of book other than a pure picture book would br a good plan for someone who can't spell. What the H*&$ is "Bologn"

New comics out today, Batman and the Outsiders was one of them.

sylent_asassin

[19]Oct 16, 2008
    • level: 26
    Isn't Batman slated to die in the "Final Crisis?" I haven't picked up the latest issues, but I read something to that effect a few months ago.

jwgrlrrajn

[20]Oct 16, 2008
    • level: 23
    If they kill off Batman in the comics, I will lose all hope for DC as we know it. (the only way I would even be remotely okay with it, is if it somehow led to them making a Batman Beyond comic actually set in Earth-1 or whatever it's called now)