The Dark Knight Rises Discussion Topic

-batmat-

[1]Oct 27, 2010
    • level: 22

....."THE DARK KNIGHT RISES"!!!

and the villain.... "Won't be the Riddler"

What do you think? I think it's not the best title around, but it has never been used before, and I'm sure we'll all get used to it.

Edited on 09/07/2012 12:28pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RaizenYusuke

[2]Oct 27, 2010
    • level: 28
    I don't see anything wrong with the title. I am glad the Riddler won't be the villain. He's cool, but he is really not a villain that should end the franchise with.

zepherous35

[3]Oct 27, 2010
    • level: 26

I like it. I think it is a fitting title for the end of the series.

jwgrlrrajn

[4]Oct 27, 2010
    • level: 23
    Dang, now it's driving me nuts because I don't know who the villain is going to be.

zepherous35

[5]Oct 27, 2010

I will be fine with whatever Nolan decides for a villain; just as long as it's not Penguin or Catwoman.

jwgrlrrajn

[6]Oct 28, 2010
    I wouldn't mind Penguin (or rather, Oswald Cobblepot) having a small cameo or even a bit role, but no, he should not be the main villain.

-batmat-

[7]Oct 28, 2010
    It is just a rumor, but Harvey Bullock would be played by Tom Hardy, the guy from Inception. There's also a rumor about Hugo Strange being one of the villains

jwgrlrrajn

[8]Oct 28, 2010
    I could see Hugo Strange being in the film.

zepherous35

[9]Oct 28, 2010

Yes, I could definitely see Strange as a possible villain. He could be based in a real world scenario as Nolan has created with his Batman series. Catwoman and Penguin just could not fit in the universe he has created: not in my opinion anyways.

RaizenYusuke

[10]Oct 28, 2010
    Why do you think Catwoman can't fit? I can see why you feel Peguin wouldn't fit, but what is it about Selina that does not work for Nolan's movies?

Hugo Strange works I could see him as villain. It's going to be hard choosing a villain. I mean Nolan already used the two best Batman villains already.

jwgrlrrajn

[11]Oct 28, 2010
    I have the opposite opinion, I think Penguin could work (although not as a main villain), but Selina would seem out of place.

And I know Nolan has said it won't be Mr. Freeze, but I really think that's a missed opportunity. Nolan would be able to write an amazing story for him, and forever rid the general public of the idea that Mr. Freeze is a joke villain. (that, and if he's played by Patrick Stewart, there's no way you could lose )

captaintombatch

[12]Oct 28, 2010
    • level: 32
    I'm not sure if Selina wouldn't be out of place. In every series, she is a dark sided character. Very similar to Harvey Dent in my opinion, and I really don't see how the Riddler would not fit in this setting either. I think he would be the perfect villian.

Mr. Freeze would be a terrible idea for this setting. No good could come from his arrival.

-batmat-

[13]Oct 29, 2010
    captaintombatch wrote:
    I'm not sure if Selina wouldn't be out of place. In every series, she is a dark sided character. Very similar to Harvey Dent in my opinion, and I really don't see how the Riddler would not fit in this setting either. I think he would be the perfect villian.

Mr. Freeze would be a terrible idea for this setting. No good could come from his arrival.

Hum.... "Mr. No", () what would you have thought when someone told you Ra's Al Ghul was the main villain in a realistic Batman? Nolan can pull off any villain. But Mr Freeze would be too much because you can't drastically change him to "reality" without taking the essence of teh character

zepherous35

[14]Oct 29, 2010

I don't think Selina would fit in. Of course, her character would be completely rewrote for the film, but I just don't know how I would feel about the sexual tension between she and Batman. I don't think that has a place in this Universe, and it would take it down a few notches for me. Without it, Catwoman would not fulfill her character, and with it, it adds a dynamic to a dark film, where sex doesn't really have a place. Of course, Nolan could make it a dark attraction that ONLY Selina feels, adding to her sickness. One never knows, we shall see soon.

RaizenYusuke

[15]Oct 29, 2010
    Basicly no more romance and sexual tenshion. I can see that Rachel story did milk that storyline a lot.

theportal

[16]Oct 30, 2010
    I was hoping the title would be completely different, just as The Dark Knight was a completely different title to Batman Begins. But it's still a great title. It gives the impression that the trilogy (assuming that Nolan sticks to his guns and ensures that this is the last one) will end on a triumphant note. It sounds really promising.

Riddler probably isn't even in my top 5 favourite Batman villains so it doesn't bother me that he apparently won't be in it. Catwoman probably won't appear since the Halle Berry movie is still remembered as a big flop, though there'll surely be a love interest so maybe Talia is looking more likely now? They could bring Scarecrow back again, we might see Hugo Strange as some have suggested, Bane might show up... Who knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

DarthFreeza

[17]Oct 30, 2010

Aparently Nolan is meeting with actresses in search of a female lead for the next movie:
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Christopher-Nolan-Holding-Auditions-For-Female-Lead-In-Batman-3-21413.html

This points towards the conclusion that either Catwoman or Talia al Ghul will be the next villains (I can't really think of another female villain Nolan might use at this point).
    Then again, he might not even be looking for a female lead to play a villain. Perhaps he's just seeking a new love interest for Batman or something of that sort.

RaizenYusuke

[18]Oct 30, 2010
    If he has to have a love interest/villain than I perfer Taila over Selina. Selina gets most of the credit of being Batman's main love interest in media, but Taila is just as big (she's even the mother of his only biological kid). Plus as a villain she holds more potential to be a huge threat to all of Gotham than Catwoman epsecially if she is out for revenge.

zepherous35

[19]Oct 30, 2010

That information is ambiguous at this point. We are not even sure what he is casting.

-batmat-

[20]Oct 30, 2010
    theportal wrote:
    I was hoping the title would be completely different, just as The Dark Knight was a completely different title to Batman Begins.

Yes, I felt the same way

theportal wrote:
    Riddler probably isn't even in my top 5 favourite Batman villains so it doesn't bother me that he apparently won't be in it. .

not "apparently", it's confirmed! He won't be in TDKR