Batman: The Animated Series

Nothing to Fear

Aired Saturday 9:00 AM Sep 15, 1992 on FOX

• Boo Who Goes there

The Scarecrow is on the scene in Gotham and Batman get hit with the fear gas. He has to stop the Scarecrow form gassing all of Gotham, only Bats has to conquer his one fears in order to do it.
  • One of my old favourites, which introduces one of my all-time favourite villains, the Scarecrow.

The Scarecrow has always been one of my favourite Batman villains, and this episode presented him in good light. He was scary, not quite as scary as future versions, and had a few humorous elements, and has all the elements that the Scarecrow character requires.

The Scarecrow design is initially quite menacing. He looks grotesquely thin with blank eyes and an evil glare on his face. His voice may spoil this a little, as it is quite posh and pompous, but the general idea of his theme is quite chilling. His humour may even make him a little more appealing.

The scenes through the fear gas are quite effective and also quite scary. Batman's greatest fear is quite disturbing and it shows that he truly values his parents' opinions, and that he greatly fears bringing shame on the Wayne family. Through this fear we get our first look at Batman's origin, and how the death of his parents has deeply affected him and that he still fears his father's disrespect. Alfred has a touching moment in which he comforts Bruce, telling him that he knows what his father's belief would be, and he actually helps save Batman from the Scarecrow's fear toxins.

The Scarecrow comes closest to defeating Batman than any of the previous villains of the series, even though it was only the Joker and Man-Bat so far, but this still shows that he is without question a worthy opponent of Batman's. All these excellent qualities make this a classic Batman episode and a great introduction to the Scarecrow. 5/5.
  • Seemingly the basis for the 2005 Batman Begins movie. I just re-watched this episode and found it almost identical to Batman Begins. Hopefully the next Batman movie will be an original and not use stories already told before.

Seemingly the basis for the 2005 Batman Begins movie.
    I just re-watched this episode and found it almost identical to Batman Begins. Civilians are gased by the fear gas and see Batman as a huge bat, just like the movie and then the final battle is almost carbon copied into the Batman Begins movie. Hopefully the next Batman movie will be an original and not use stories already told before. Even though the animated series was incredible I would like to see the screen writers get creative and not take the easy way out of writing a story. All in all this was a great episode.
  • the Scarecrow, a new villain in Gotham, wrecks havoc on batman with his fear toxins.

in my mind, the scarecrow, like the Penguin, is a very underappreciated villain. When you see the director commentaries, they always say that he was not scary enough and that they constantly tried to make him scarier. By the end of the series he was more scary, but he had lost something that the first scarexcrow had, something this episode shows in full glory. This scarecrow is tough, intelligent, bent on revenge, sublte, and manipulative. the character is almost flawless. Also, there is a lot of important character development in this episode, as we see what batman deepest fear actually is. As we learn more about the characters, we should appreciate them more.
  • A great Scarecrow introduction

This episode is the series debut of the Scarecrow,and a good episode on so many levels. Not only does it have a good villan to work with but they use him to almost his full potential (I think they could have gone a lot deeper into the Scarecrows character) , but fortunatley this is the first episode in the series were they begin to develop Batman's character. We get to see Batman weak and terrified, we get to see what his worst fear is and we get to see him overcome it, acompanied with spectacular voicework by Kevin Conroy, whom I cannot praise enough for his work in this series. But as stated before we do not get to see Scarecrows character developed at all beyond a skinny proffesor who loves scaring people. Still this is a minor flaw and does little to diminish the quality of the episode.
  • Anytime you have someone in town stripping off layers of your psyche, you know there's going to be some character development at hand.

This is one of my favorite episodes for this series! Scarecrow is one of those villains who specializes in getting under your skin, turning your worst fears against you. In his first encounter with Batman, Scarecrow is able to nearly cripple the Dark Knight, forcing him to confront a ghostly image of his father who confronts Bruce Wayne with a tragic revelation: Would Thomas Wayne have considered Bruce a failure?

This episode is filled with action, including an exciting fight on the top of a blimp, and has one of the greatest Batman lines ever: "I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!" Batman has to face against two threats - real and imagined - while putting a stop to Scarecrow's thirst for revenge against Gotham University.

Terrific episode, with all the top notch voice acting we've come to expect from this series.
  • A great introduction to a great villain.

Scarecrow is actually one of my favs in Batman's rogues gallery, and here is his first episode.

Angry at college professors for firing him due to his unorthodox methods of teaching fear, Jonathon Crane decides to get revenge by becoming the Scarecrow, a vicious villain with gas which can reveal your worst fear. This toxin affects Batman, revealing his worst fear - ashaming his family.

Scarecrow was great in this episode, although his initial appearance didn't really look as scary as his grisly form in later episodes or the ghoulish zombie he becomes in Gotham Knights.

What made this episode so interesting was that it provided some development for Batman. His relationship with his parents is explored some more here, as he fears what he's become will ashame his family name.

Not the best Scarecrow episode, but a good introduction.