Batman: The Animated Series

Nothing to Fear

Aired Saturday 9:00 AM Sep 15, 1992 on FOX

• One of my old favourites, which introduces one of my all-time favourite villains, the Scarecrow.

The Scarecrow has always been one of my favourite Batman villains, and this episode presented him in good light. He was scary, not quite as scary as future versions, and had a few humorous elements, and has all the elements that the Scarecrow character requires.

The Scarecrow design is initially quite menacing. He looks grotesquely thin with blank eyes and an evil glare on his face. His voice may spoil this a little, as it is quite posh and pompous, but the general idea of his theme is quite chilling. His humour may even make him a little more appealing.

The scenes through the fear gas are quite effective and also quite scary. Batman's greatest fear is quite disturbing and it shows that he truly values his parents' opinions, and that he greatly fears bringing shame on the Wayne family. Through this fear we get our first look at Batman's origin, and how the death of his parents has deeply affected him and that he still fears his father's disrespect. Alfred has a touching moment in which he comforts Bruce, telling him that he knows what his father's belief would be, and he actually helps save Batman from the Scarecrow's fear toxins.

The Scarecrow comes closest to defeating Batman than any of the previous villains of the series, even though it was only the Joker and Man-Bat so far, but this still shows that he is without question a worthy opponent of Batman's. All these excellent qualities make this a classic Batman episode and a great introduction to the Scarecrow. 5/5.