Batman: The Animated Series

On Leather Wings

Aired Saturday 9:00 AM Sep 06, 1992 on FOX

• The pilot of the series. Batman must help Dr. Kurt Series Pilot. Batman takes on the Man Bat.

First I'd like to note that this website does not have the episodes numbered correctly...but then again I might be the only person who noticed or cares because I am a Batman fanatic. This episode was the show's very first...although I do remember the episode The Cat and the Claw Part One being run as a sneak peak...but as far as official studio recors go, this is the pilot. The episode was, when I first saw it at age 9, the most incredible thing I had ever seen on TV. It is not my all-time favorite from this series but I still love it just because of the way it captivated and awed me at that age. In this episode we meet Dr. Kurt Langstrom, who makes a reappearance in the episode Terror in the Sky, and his wife Francine. While experimenting with bat DNA, Langstrom turns himself into the hideous Man Bat. Batman must stop him before he kills somebody and also help him find a cure. I love the sytle of this series; the darkness, the brooding, the emotion. Kevin Conroy is the greatest Batman ever in my mind. His voice was absolutely perfect for this show. That voice talents used on this show were so incredible because they weren't just the usual voice-over guys...they were all actual film and stage actors. I could go on and on about how great this episode is but I wont't.