Batman: The Animated Series

Shadow of the Bat (2)

Aired Saturday 9:00 AM Sep 14, 1993 on FOX

• Batgirl learns the ropes.

Now that Batgirl has come into her own, at least by having her own abbreviated costume, we get to watch her learn some tricks of the trade. This is really rather boring as she makes Robin look good. And that’s hard to do.

Long story short, we learn that Batman has gotten himself captured by Two-Face, the real ring leader in this capper. Although Batman should have been instantly killed back in Two-Face’s lair, he is brought instead to an old subway station for ID’ing by Gil.

All this really served to do was to get all the principle players into one place, excluding the Commish. It gives everyone the chance to meet everyone and for Two-Face to add to his “Almost Got Him” stories.

Batman and Robin of course escape after helping Batgirl to safety the easy way, and everyone again gets together on the pier. This time the Commish is present as Two-Face had his men break him out of jail earlier.

A wham bam and zoom later and everyone is caught. Gil is in a coma, which is very convenient since he unmasked Barbara on the boat just before the crash. Snore.

Surprisingly, I gave both episodes a 7.5 since, although a little lacking in quality, it presents the story many had been waiting for to this point. Some people wanted to see Batgirl. I can do without her, but for those that like her ... here she is.