Batman: The Animated Series

The Demon's Quest (2)

Aired Saturday 9:00 AM May 04, 1993 on FOX

• Part Two of the Ra's al Ghul Saga.

Continuing directly from the previous episode, an insane Ra's is holding his daughter above the Lazarus Pits and wants to throw her in, so Batman and Robin have to stop him (mostly Batman, and it is interesting to note his concern for Talia, indicating that she does mean something to him after all). Soon after he returns to his normal way of thinking Ra's once again asks Batman to become his heir, but when Batman refuses Ra's tries to destroy him. Obviously Batman and Robin escape and try to find out what Ra's is planing. One thing I always loved about the Batman animated series (and the rest of the DCAU as well, of course) was its strong continuity. While I may be mistaking, I always thought the events from the previous episode ("Off Balance") lead to this episode and Ra's plan of using the satellite to blow up the Lazarus Pits from around the world. I was under the impression Ra's previously wanted to use the sonic drill he had Count Vertigo and Talia steal for him in "Off Balance" to flood the Lazarus Pit all over the world. but when Batman sabotaged the drill, Ra's was forced into modifying the plan and use satellites instead.

The way the characters interact is handled pretty well, especially Batman and Ra's (Batman's line about Ra's being completely out of his mind is great) and Batman and Talia (you can tell their short adventure from the previous episodes was more than that and even though they're on opposite sides and have completely different objectives, they still care about each other).

The highlight of this episode is without a doubt the epic sword fight between Batman and Ra's. The animation is great, the music is great and the atmosphere is just right. And the ending is just great, even though it was obvious that couldn't have been the end of Ra's, the scene at the end is not completely useless and once again foreshadows the things to come.

This was probably Ra's best appearance on the show (not the DCAU though) and is both an entertaining and memorable episode.
  • Reign of the Demon

This was a great follow up to my favorate two parter of the show. There isn't much I can really say about this one, one of the things I really loved about this episode is that it had that pulp adventure like feel to it, from what you would see in those cliffhanger serials or even the "Doc Savage" books.

It was mainly because of the desert location, which I felt in a way sort of created an almost exotic, mysterious, even romantic like atmosphere. Ras Al Ghoul was always one of my favorate villians in the series because he is one of the most complex. His goals were never to take over the world, gain money/power or any other cleched villian goal you can think of. His goals was to do great good, to save humanity before it destroys itself but has to go to great extremes to do it. In a way you can say Ras has a bit of a god complex.

The thing that's interesting is I understand his viewpoint, his character was one that was sort of in a rather grey area contrasted to Bruce/Batman who's sort of black and white. There has always been sort of a parralel contrast between the two, both want to protect and save all that is good but one way is right and the other is wrong and that's Ras Al Ghoul's way. Ras Al Ghoul feels the world is sick and the only cure is to eradicate most of the human populous before the Earth and humanity is beyond saving. And what makes Ras villiounous is he is aware of the corruptive nature of his actions but he feels it's a necessary evil to create good. Bruce/Batman feels differently because he sees and believes that even though there are plenty of bad people there are also plenty of good people whom bring hope and change to this world. And the proof that they still exist shows it's not too late to save humanity without going to extremes to do it. He feels humanity has to be shown the right way not forced to go there. And those good people need to be saved and protected to live for the future.

The constant conflicting interplay between the two I think is interesting and really powers this episode. This episode is powered by the conversations they have while the action came second and there is action but not as much it occurs in the last act which is rare for a Batman episode.

I even liked some of the time he spent with Talia, I always did like the chemestry between the two there are a good couple and she's a good significant other for Bruce/Batman. But despite those facts their romance isn't in the cards and personally I'm always going to love the Selena/Catwoman and Bruce/Batman couple those two I know are right for one another and I wouldn't mind if they get married somewhere around the line.

One of the highlights of the episode for me is the swordfight between both Ras and Batman swordfights are always my second favorate kind of fight next to my first martal arts combat, both always have lots of stratigy and skill involved. It even had sort of that feel of some of those old swashbuckling adventures, where in most of those fight they always moved to diffent parts of the enviorment as manuvering obsticles to create diffculty and break the opponents rythem and movement. It was also rather suspsnseful since the computer to stop the process of Ras Al Ghoul's play is a distance away so there is that ticking clock element.

I only had a couple of problems with the episode, I didn't like what Bruce/Batman said to Ras Al Ghoul after Ras revealed his master plan I just thought it sounded out of character. And another was the swordfight I didn't feel was long enough. But these are two minor things I can get past.

Villiany never rests in hell for long.
  • The conclusion of The Demon\'s Quest two-parter, patterned off a classic Batman comic story from the early 1970s. It starts where part one ended and goes downhill from there.

This episode is remarkably dull compared to part one. Batman saves the girl from her crazy dad, her crazy dad goes back to his normal level of craziness, and he asks Batman to join him yet again. Batman says no, surprise surprise, and Ra's tries to kill him by burying him within the Lazarus Pit.

Batman and Robin live, to the audience's amazement. Then, with a convenient clue from Robin's time as a captive, the two discover Ra's nefarious scheme to destroy the world in order to save it from itself. They track him down to the sahara desert...and after that I wake up around the swordfight. Ra's falls into the pit of his own volition after Batman thwarts his plan, and to no one's surprise, he is seen with his hand reaching out from the pit at the end.

Sigh. It's an above-average episode from the point of view of a Batman nerd who is fond of Ra's al Ghul...but it doesn't offer those things like character development and themes not often seen in children's cartoons (but presented in a way that kids could swallow) which make BTAS so exceptional. It's really just a rehash of an old comic book plot that, in my opinion, aged poorly. I had my fill in part one.
  • An original episode, but not the strongest nor a good representation of the series.

The Demon's Quest (part 2) is a mixed bag in many respects. On one hand it is to be praised for its uniquness, some beutiful art and settings, and for a great portrayal of Ra's Al Ghul. On the other hand, it is not as character driven as many other episodes in the series, and the plot suffers from some juvenile elements.

In some ways the plot is simple. It has many locations, twists, and characters, but it looses some of its thematic power. While watching it I sometimes wished we paused and explored the way the character's Ra's Al Ghul, Talia and Batman interact, but I felt I was rushed off to the next plot element or action scene.

I don't remember watching this episode when I was kid, and back then it probablly would have been one of my favorites. While I still enjoyed watching it all these years later, it takes a back seat to some of finer, more character driven episodes, in this exceptional series.