Batman: The Animated Series

The Demon's Quest (2)

Aired Saturday 9:00 AM May 04, 1993 on FOX

• The conclusion of The Demon\'s Quest two-parter, patterned off a classic Batman comic story from the early 1970s. It starts where part one ended and goes downhill from there.

This episode is remarkably dull compared to part one. Batman saves the girl from her crazy dad, her crazy dad goes back to his normal level of craziness, and he asks Batman to join him yet again. Batman says no, surprise surprise, and Ra's tries to kill him by burying him within the Lazarus Pit.

Batman and Robin live, to the audience's amazement. Then, with a convenient clue from Robin's time as a captive, the two discover Ra's nefarious scheme to destroy the world in order to save it from itself. They track him down to the sahara desert...and after that I wake up around the swordfight. Ra's falls into the pit of his own volition after Batman thwarts his plan, and to no one's surprise, he is seen with his hand reaching out from the pit at the end.

Sigh. It's an above-average episode from the point of view of a Batman nerd who is fond of Ra's al Ghul...but it doesn't offer those things like character development and themes not often seen in children's cartoons (but presented in a way that kids could swallow) which make BTAS so exceptional. It's really just a rehash of an old comic book plot that, in my opinion, aged poorly. I had my fill in part one.