Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Bat-Mite Presents: Batman's Strangest Cases!

Aired Friday 7:00 PM Apr 01, 2011 on Cartoon Network

7.4
  • Great nostalgic trip to Batman's past incarnations.

First, let me say this episode is not for everyone. It is lacking in most of what serious Batman fan's seek. (then again, this series probably wouldn't appeal to them either.) But if you watched the cartoons New Adventures of Batman (1977), you may have some nostalgic love for Bat Mite, which adds to the appeal of this episode.

The episode is broken up into 3 different (and unrelated) versions of Batman.

In the first version Bat Boy and Rubin, Bat Mite seems to have taken the role of Batman, with a Jerry Lewis style Rubin filing in for Robin. Bat Boy's actions are opposite of what you would expect of Batman making it quite funny.

The second segment isn't all that entertaining, as they attempt to . It seems more like they are attempting to make fun of the short comings of Japanese animation of yesteryear. The story doesn't have much to it, nor is it particularly funny. The one redeeming feature is that the original Batmobile from the 1966 Batman series appears.

The final segment pays homage (or parodies?) the Scooby Doo episode in which Batman and Robin appeared. While I really don't care for Scooby Doo, whenever I saw the opening credits of that show and saw Batman and Robin appear, I hoped it would be that episode. I don't recall many specific details of the original show, but they captured all the elements, especially the look of the Joker and the Penguin as they appeared in the original episode. It's always great to hear Frank Welker reprise his role of Freddy, but it's too bad Casey Kasem was unable to provide the voice for Shaggy, who sounds slightly off.
  • Two brilliant segments and one not so good, but you will laugh...a lot.

This is the weirdest episode thus far, written by Paul Dini, who brought us the darkest episode of the series with "Chill of the Night" and the previous Bat-Mite funfest "Legends of the Dark Mite". The episode starts off with a 7 minute MAD magazine segment with Batboy and Rubin, it's really weird, possibly too strange for it's own good, the jokes are pretty dumb and I didn't really laugh, I smiled and chuckled a couple of times, but it dragged on and it should've been way shorter, I was kind of disappointed at this point, but then, then, the Bat-Manga segment begins, genius, just genius, it has so many hilarious moments and clever small details, you have to wach it more than once, at first I thought the sound on the TV was off, but of course it's intentional, supposed to be lousy dubbing of japanese animation. I often talk about the gags, but I won't here, you HAVE to see it for yourself. The animation is terrific, and the choice of villain is awesome, granted, it's the only one I know from the Bat-Manga.

The Scooby-Doo/Batman team up is about as awesome as the Bat-Manga, it's funnier than the previous Batman/Scooby team up, and getting Frank Welker, Matthew Lillard and one special guest to appear, really made it all that much better. The animation IS totally 60's Hanna Barbera, it looks like an old Scooby-Doo cartoon, much respect for the animators. This is another high for Batman: The Brave and the Bold, which continues to be completely unique, hilarious and awesome. I didn't like the MAD segment, but the two other ones are so good they more than make up for that. I guess I just couldn't help but compare the MAD parody to Freakazoid's "Fatman and Boy Blubber", whose hilarity and pace just destroys the MAD one, anyway, give the episode a watch.