Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Chill of the Night!

Aired Friday 7:00 PM Apr 09, 2010 on Cartoon Network

• Words fail me, absolutely amazing.

Look, I'll just jump right into it and say it, this is the best episode of the series thus far. I loved it. Apart from the opening, this was pretty much a Batman: The Animated Series episode. It was very dark, very violent and so well written it could easily be a part of that series. Batman: The Brave and the Bold is my favorite Batman series, it simply can do everything, shifting flawlessly from silly, goofy adventures to hilarious comedy and now, dark, itense drama. The opening with Zatanna was not that great, but it was cool to see her make her debut in the show. Then the episode really begins, with the shooting of Thomas and Martha Wayne, frankly I was surprised, the scene is very brutal, we see the gun fire and the shadow of Thomas falling, then the gun firing again and Bruce crying. This set the tone for the rest of the episode, which has zero goofiness and deadpan comedy one-liners.

Paul Dini, who previously wrote "Legends of the Dark Mite", another fantastic episode, really outdoes himself here. He constantly seems to be pushing the envelope in his darker themed episodes, and not only do we get to see the death of Bruce's parents and two other characters, Batman is really unforgiving and brutal here. I loved the moment where Batman holds a thug over this huge "hellish" hole of fire. But what really made the episode a lot better and really interesting, was the addition of Phantom Stranger, and one of my DC favorites The Spectre. I grinned like crazy when he said "I would know nothing about that". You'll get it when you see the episode. And as if that wasn't enough we get to see Poison Ivy for the first time in this series, she looked phenomenal, in fact this is my favorite animated design of her. Mr. Freeze drops his previous suit from when he was known as Mr. Zero, good riddance I say, it was good for a laugh but he couldn't be menacing in that outfit. His new suit is...well, better but not exactly awesome.

Look, I can't praise and recommend this episode enough, it is simply amazing and regardless if you like the show or not, you should definitely check it out.