Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Night of the Batmen!

Aired Friday 7:00 PM Apr 29, 2011 on Cartoon Network

• "Grey and blue, grey and blue, the man from Gotham wore the grey and blue".

The opening was terrific, great song, I think it was John DiMaggio doing the voice of Vigilante. It was very catchy, and is another triumph for this show's ever growing collection of song numbers. The main episode didn't disappoint either, in fact, it was awesome, Batman is badly injured after a mission to stop Kanjar Ro from destroying a planet, so it's up to Green Arrow, Aquaman, Plastic Man and Captain Marvel to protect Gotham, masquerading as the dark knight himself. The plot isn't that strong, but the episode is a joy to watch due to a number of things, first off, it's pretty funny, especially Plastic Man trying to decide his Batman look, and that's not the only reference to previous Batman depictions, look ut for Terry McGinnis from Batman Beyond, the Batman from...well, The Batman and other versions. Second, we get to see a lot of villains, and I mean A LOT, some of which appear for the first time, including Deadshot and Killer Croc. We also get to see Catwoman donning a new costume, very nice indeed.

The action is stellar, the only thing I wasn't too happy about was the Joker's late appearance, he takes down the four Batmen way too easy, can't Captain Marvel break free from those bars and Plastic Man sneak out? You also ought to think Martian Manhunter would try to save the captives instead of looking after Batman all the time. But small quibbles aside, this episode was highly entertaining. The Batman really faltered in it's last 13 episodes, Batman: The Brave and the Bold maintains the high quality and if anything, has only gotten better after time, this is yet another very strong episode from season 3, which has, in my eyes, yet to drop the ball and give us a lousy episode.