Batman: The Brave and the Bold

The Last Bat on Earth!

Aired Friday 7:00 PM Jun 19, 2009 on Cartoon Network

• I liked this episode, yeah, I was surprised seeing as I hated Kamandi's last appearance.

Kamandi last showed up in the teaser opening for "Dawn of the Deadman". And I didn't like it one bit, one of the worst, if not the worst opening this series has shown so far. So, I didn't expect to like this episode, but I did. I'm still not won over by Kamandi's world, a future with anthropomorphic animals a war with one another. But I liked what this episode had to offer, great action among the best this show has done, Gorilla Grodd returns and gets a cool new outfit, a cool purple cape and a metal/gold glove. I wish the Man-Bats were, I don't know, creepier.

The battle scenes here are on a big scale, and it's these that make the episode so enjoyable. It actually plays it fairly straight, with few jokes and moments of self-referential silliness. Kamandi is a decent guesthero but he is not that interesting and I actually hope this is the last full episode he's featured in, though the ending sets up another adventure where Kamandi apparently will join Batman on an adventure in his world.

I expected to dislike this episode but it's actually great with some fun, big action set-pieces. And it's always great to see Gorilla Grodd, though he is getting an awful lot of screentime on this show.