Batman: The Brave and the Bold

The Last Patrol!

Aired Friday 7:00 PM Oct 08, 2010 on Cartoon Network

7.9
  • A lot of death and darkness lately, but this show once again proves that it can handle such material.

The Doom Patrol, my first introduction to them was the Teen Titans season five, two-parter "Homecoming". This the old-school Doom Patrol, I guess, no Beast Boy, just a cameo on a poster. We get Negative Man, The Chief, Elasti-Girl and Robotman. The plot follows this pattern, one member is attacked by a random villain or group of villain, Batman and the Doom Patrol members rescued previously show up to help the next targeted member, defet the villain and move on to the next until the main baddie shows up, General Zahl. Look, why don't we just get this thing out of the way, "Chill of the Night" was dark, and indeed this one has more than a few dark elements, Robotman wanting to commit suicide, the sad fates of certain characters in the end and one scene in particular is probably bleaker than any scene in the aforementioned "Chill of the Night", a hostage situation in Paris where things turn very ugly, Zahl is about to destroy Paris and grabs a hostage and puts a gun to her head when the tables have turned against him, he demands the Doom Patrol to surrender...they don't as the whole of Paris, and the world is at stake, in a slow-motion sequence we see them rushing towards him, the gun fires, and we see him being taken to jail while the dead body is carried into an ambulance under white sheets. I was quite surprised, the ending not so much, other heroes have died recently, so that wasn't as unexpected as an innocent woman being shot.

It's quite a depressing episode to watch, good thing the opening is pure BATB fun, with the introduction of Batgirl and Killer Moth in his first speaking appearance on this show, we even get a Teen Titans reference with Silky in the background. Though the main episode is a bit depressing, it's still great, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the more lighthearted episodes are generally better than the ones such as this, the next episode, which is supposed to be fun and whimsical, is the worst in my opinion, so far. I go to say, the villain who could turn into wood, diamond and a dinosaur all at once was certainly...unusual. But of course, as always he is an actual villain from the comic books, speaking of which, a lot of comic books covers are recreated here, which I'm sure will please Doom Patrol fans, I'm not so sure if they'll appreciate the ending, not to mention that they are presented as, sort of sad misfits. Anyway, I liked this episode, they're really killing characters left and right recently.