Battle B-Daman

With Friends Like These

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Oct 01, 2005 on The CW

• Wen Yong Fa at his best

Brad MacDonald did a wonderful job with this episode. His character is one of the most complex in the whole series and has a wide range of emotions that can change from one second to the next. Here, we see just how much Wen has grown from his time with the Shadow Alliance. He has come to value his friendship with Yamato and the others and truly believes they can win the fight against Marda B. As a person, he’s become more compassionate and thoughtful. Of course, we have seen these qualities several times since he joined the good guys, but this episode really emphasizes how much he has matured. Wen, who is normally fun and lighthearted, had some of the most profound lines I’ve heard on Battle B-Daman so far. He really stood out and made “With Friends Like These” great. At one moment he was confused and angry, yelling at Li and asking him why he joined the Neo-Shadow Alliance. The next moment his voice was gentle and near tears as he told his brother that he completes him. The relationship between the Yong Fa brothers has been one of the biggest draws of the show for me, and this was also explored in detail. You can really see how much they care about each other, especially on Wen’s side, and even the enemy worries about their close bond.