Battlestar Galactica

Baltar's Escape

Aired Sunday 7:00 PM Mar 11, 1979 on ABC

• Three of the Galactica's worst enemies join forces to escape to Luna 7. The Council of the Twelve call off the long-standing martial law of the fleet, leaving Adama's hands tied as the crisis ensues.

It's nice to see all those familiar faces -- Baltar, the Borellians, and the Eastern Alliance. Ultimately, the joining of these three groups reminds us of how similar they are -- petty, malicious, and without particularly complex worldviews. But there are still some moments of nice conflict between the groups -- Baltar is in many ways outed for the naive coward that he is.

We see some more of the civil-military conflict again, but the 1978 Battlestar Galactica can never manage to pull it off with any nuance similar to the newer series. In this case, the Council has taken control of the fleet again, only to rescind the matter the moment they are (and they are devastatingly) wrong.

The three conniving villain groups add some nice tension to the episode, and the ending took me a little by surprise, so this episode is decidedly a step up from some previous episodes. I look forward to the last three episodes, and discovering whether Terra is Earth, and whether the Eastern Alliance will be as dangerous as the Cylon Empire.