Battlestar Galactica Forums

ABC (ended 1979)

Battlestar Galactica Movie?? Glen A. Larson and Universal are "Negotiating&

zzbeach

[1]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 12

Supposedly Universal and Glen A. Larson are in negotiations to produce a Battlestar Galactica movie. Here's a link to an article...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i6c21c5456af55219d6f55a20baf1089a

I have two thoughts on this. First, the Galactica story cannot be told in a two hour movie. You can have the attack on the Colonies and the assembly of the refugee fleet but anything more would feel rushed. A trilogy is what is needed to make this idea work. Second, no way this is going to happen because Universal will never give Larson 2 or 3 movies to tell the Galactica story!!! If it does happen it'll be at least 5 years before we see it. And I'll believe it when I see it. I remember that Rob Bowman was supposed to direct a movie version of another 70's sci fi show called The Starlost. The movie was called Generation Ship and even Harlan Ellison was on board. And this was supposed to be a done deal but since 2001 there's been absolutely no news of what happened to it. The whole BSG movie deal is probably just another wacky Holly-wierd rumor.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pferreira86

[2]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 17
    zzbeach wrote:

Supposedly Universal and Glen A. Larson are in negotiations to produce a Battlestar Galactica movie. Here's a link to an article...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i6c21c5456af55219d6f55a20baf1089a

I have two thoughts on this. First, the Galactica story cannot be told in a two hour movie. You can have the attack on the Colonies and the assembly of the refugee fleet but anything more would feel rushed. A trilogy is what is needed to make this idea work. Second, no way this is going to happen because Universal will never give Larson 2 or 3 movies to tell the Galactica story!!! If it does happen it'll be at least 5 years before we see it. And I'll believe it when I see it. I remember that Rob Bowman was supposed to direct a movie version of another 70's sci fi show called The Starlost. The movie was called Generation Ship and even Harlan Ellison was on board. And this was supposed to be a done deal but since 2001 there's been absolutely no news of what happened to it. The whole BSG movie deal is probably just another wacky Holly-wierd rumor.

But it would be cool to see it happen.

zzbeach

[3]Mar 16, 2009
    Hey, I'd love to see it too, but Larson is not a young man anymore and I just don't see it happening.

pferreira86

[4]Mar 16, 2009
    I always wished they had continued the original series. There were still more stories to tell and the show was just plain fun.

my1sunshine

[5]Mar 16, 2009

Agreed. It MUST be a continuation, or it's rediculous to even do it. Bottom line, Hatch does the screenplay, and he should be allowed to do his Second Coming idea.

The 2003 show has a conclusion. BSG1978 never had one. I always found that frustrating.

I respect Larson, but if he tries another re-make, that respect goes out the window.. and he's an idiot.

Give Richard the reigns, and let it soar!!

But I agree, I just don't see it happening.

pferreira86

[6]Mar 19, 2009
    In response to zzbeach saying that it would be impossible to see Galactica as a two hour movie I am now reminded that the original three part pilot was edited as a theatrical movie when the series first began. But it was badly cramped...

maritimer00

[7]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 71

This is nothing new at all...Tony DeSantis, while preparing to do the Transformers movie a while back, openly spoke of wanting to do a big screen version of the original series but this came to nothing. Universal is negotiating with Larson as he owns the rights to the movie version of BSG lock, stock and barrel.

Personally, I'd love to see this if it was truly a sci-fi BSG movie and NOT something grounded down to be "realistic"...if it's the latter, Larson's sold out, plain and simple.

archangelwho

[8]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 18
    My guess is that if there is ever a moive it would cover the time between where Batltlestar ended and 1980 picked up.

maritimer00

[9]Mar 23, 2009

Looks like it's a done deal..here's an excerpt from TV Guide interview with Ron Moore about the recent finale of the remake series:

TVGuide.com: What's the deal with this Battlestar movie that's being made - it's not your version of Battlestar?
    Moore: Well I don't really know anything about it. They didn't talk to me before they made the deal with Glen Larson, so I don't really know much about it.

zzbeach

[10]Mar 24, 2009
    When I first wrote about this I thought it was just a rumor and had no validity. I still don't know anything more that's concrete about this movie deal but I'm a bit intrigued since I've seen fan reaction to new BSG's finale. If you go on the forum for new BSG on TV.com you'll see in the finale thread that about 25% didn't like the finale. And this is from die hard fans of the show! I just wonder if the suits at Universal had a heads up about the finale and knew that many fans of the show would hate the ending and decided to make this deal with Larson to gather publicity for new BSG's finale or try to gage support for it from fans who may have been disappointed by the finale.

maritimer00

[11]Mar 25, 2009

I'm of two thoughts about NBC/Universal's approaches to Larson concerning BSG:

1) They want to do a movie based around the orig BSG concept that Larson desires.

2) They want the movie rights to launch BSG on the big screen as a franchise that ultimately won't resemble anything Larson wants and this negoatiation is just to get Larson out of the way of this idea.

Either option could happen at this point frankly....NBC has a spotty record with the BSG franchise and until the movie shows on theater screens 2-3 years from now, hard to say.

my1sunshine

[12]May 7, 2009
    Option two, sadly would seem to be more to the way of studio thinking. Certainly wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

maritimer00

[13]Aug 18, 2009

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/08/13/bryan-singer-battlestar-galactica-movie/

If Singer gets involved, I'm optimistic that the movie will be more faithful to the original series than the recent version. Singer wanted to do the re-imagining a while back but X-Men got in the way. Now, if Singer and Larson both work on this, it could work quite well.

pferreira86

[14]Aug 27, 2009
    maritimer00 wrote:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/08/13/bryan-singer-battlestar-galactica-movie/

If Singer gets involved, I'm optimistic that the movie will be more faithful to the original series than the recent version. Singer wanted to do the re-imagining a while back but X-Men got in the way. Now, if Singer and Larson both work on this, it could work quite well.

From what I've read Singer had an interesting vision for the series. It's a shame we've never seen the series done his way.

zzbeach

[15]Apr 9, 2014

It looks like it's happening and thank the cosmos that Moore and Eick will not be part of the new movie.

pferreira86

[16]Aug 10, 2014

I do hope it's more like the original series.

maritimer00

[17]Nov 18, 2014
    With Larson passing away, the future of BSG is murky once again...rights may revert to NBC or be in a gray area.